Thread: Adf and kids

pc39445

Default Adf and kids

Hi everyone!
    I am thinking of getting a couple of adfs but i read that they spread salmonella a d make kids sick. I have a 2yo at home and am now worried that my son will get sick. Any comments or advise?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Adf and kids

Welcome to the Frog Forum !! African Dwarf Frogs are fully aquatic and therefore are not to be handled at all. You can only get salmonella from the water, the cleaning tools, the frog or anything that touches the frog. Reserve a special area for just frog things and make sure those things stay in that area. Disinfect your hands every time you leave the area. The risk of getting salmonella is very small but with such a young child every measure should be taken to ensure safety. When your son wants to go look at the frog make sure he is being supervised not to touch anything. One more important thing is getting a secure lid to keep the frog in and your son out.

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

pc39445

Default Re: Adf and kids

Keeping David out of something is nearly impossible . Still I worry that something might be left out, like a few drops on the floor. Maybe its just me being clumpy but tank maintenance and cleaning can be messy. Maybe I should hold off on the froggies? Shame because i reeeally want them and they seem so cute and cheerful.

Nationality
    [United States]

The chances of getting salmonella from the frog itself is quite small and getting it from the water is way less likely. A few drops most likely do not contain salmonella. In the end its what you think is best.

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

Nationality
    [United States]

ADFs are extremely funny and I say that as long as you keep your 2 year old out of the tank they should be fine. I own 2 ADFs and just love them. I recommend getting a Marimo moss to keep the ammonia level controlled and they don't need any special care either just squeeze it once a month to get rid of any food particles that might get caught on the moss, they also keep your water clear as day!

Nationality
    [Canada]

The risk is the same as you having a fish tank, would you have a fish tank at home with fish? If yes, go ahead with frogs if that's what you want to do.

honestly with aquatic set ups the m. Marinum is a distant possibility, but you have more chances to get salmonella at kids playground then from your set up.

P.s. Im not talking about turtles here, only aquatic frogs.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

whittyfrog42

Iv had frogs around my girlfriends son sense he was the same age we have adfs whites dart frogs and even a cuban. As long s your carful and make sure to keep up on maintenance they are a lot of fun. Our son is 4 now and loves to help out the whites are his fav cause he can actually play with them "as long as hes sitting down of coarse"

Thread Information