Thread: Hello, New guy in FL. Looking into a Waxy Monkey tree frog setup.

ShawnFL

Default Hello, New guy in FL. Looking into a Waxy Monkey tree frog setup.

Hello all, Great to be here.
    Ever since a trip a couple years ago to the Georgia Aquarium my kids have been begging for a Waxy Monkey tree Frog. They are 7 and 10 years old and currently have a 3 stripe mud turtle.
    They routinely catch Green Anoles, Skinks, Geckos, and Corn Snakes and have always been great at handling small creatures. Dad will be responsible for the maintenance. I have a kept Saltwater aquarium for 15 years now, I've had Mantis Shrimp, Octopus, Eels and quite a few crazy hard to keep creatures over the years so I think Frogs should be fairly simple for me. Definitely looking for as much help as I can get because I like to do allot of research before I buy an animal.

Thanks

trkent

Default Re: Hello, New guy in FL. Looking into a Waxy Monkey tree frog setup.

Welcome to the forum! I was born in Florida! Cape Coral to be exact. Lovely place to catch critters. Sounds like you've got some awesome kids. Anyways, let's see if I can help...

First of all I'd like to say that these guys aren't a fan of being handled. They're really fragile and you should have wet hands when handling. But it sounds like your kids respect animals so I don't think that should be an issue. If you're looking for a more sociable critter than think of White's Tree Frog. A lot of the care is the same... but more on that...

So these guys like to climb. When thinking of a terrarium go for one that's taller - not wider.
    They like to stay warm. Around 75-80 degrees for about 12 hours a day on and off. This can be done with a timer. 5 UVB recommended.
    They're nocturnal so a day/night cycle and appropriate lighting is necessary so the critter doesn't get off whack with sleeping.
    These guys are communal - so more than one is okay.
    Bark chippings are recommend for the substrate.

Hope I helped! I don't know much on Waxys. They sure are interesting looking! I'm thinking about getting on for myself!!

Thread Information