Thread: Red Eye Update with a few pics.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Red Eye Update with a few pics.

Well. A few months into it and my babies are great! I live in a good wooded area so the weather break was priiiiiiiiime moss harvesting here. The moss was needed because we were using repti-bark and got informed here about the impaction risk. Heres my end results for the bedding. Yes, my wood box is planted. Its kind of our specialty. Currently workin on a 2x2x2 with cabinet style doors to sell. But aaaaaaaaaanyways. Opinions of the moss? Better frog folks? Still hunting nice leaf litter cause were really selective about what we use.

Heres the stunning Lilly Munster i awoke during a tank cleaning. In her usual lime green with aqua/sky blue sides. This ones the wifes baby.

This here is my Herman Munster! Little man just hit puberty and has started calling the past few nights. Couldnt be more proud of my little dude! He... i dont know if he got painted the wrong color at the factory or what... hes always... so... NEON.

So. Whatcha think?

2. 2 members thank Krispy for this post:

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Red Eye Update with a few pics.

oh, they're beautiful! I love Herman. <3
    I have a frog. She's fat and green. Her name is Gertrude, because she is fat and green.

5. This member thanks BeckyM for this post:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Thank you! I would love to find out whats up with the neon coloration.

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

He could be a color morph

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Our newest development: Herman won't shut up. Dear god. Also, during the morning and sometimes late evening. Herman will bark every few seconds. Lilly after a few moments, barks a single time then skakes/vibrates the leaf shes occupying at the time...

Input? Some info weve looked up suggests mating behavior?

Nationality
    [United States]

Was the moss treated in any way to get rid of bacteria? Could be dangerous parasites lurking.

Every frog has a slightly different coloration. The neon frog could be just really happy. They do range from that color to a dull olive.

It sounds like your frogs are in love! Amazing behavior to be able to witness!

Your frogs are beautiful! Such pretty colors and they look well looked after

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

We soak all moss and attached substrate in 10:1 bleach water. I spray it with natural brand Mite Off, after it dries we put it in a strainer and run exceedingly(near boiling) water over it. Put it in a moist gallon ziplock in the dark for 24 hrs. Moisten it with spring water then go. It also helps to put a good size bark piece under the moss. It gives it something to feed on/attach to. Makes the moss removeable once its attached without damaging it ;-)

We lurk all over the web. Dendroboard and monsterfishkeepers, with our local greenhouse taught us alot.

Awesome!!

Good method for quarantining the moss

Sounds like you have two males. The males usually respond to other male croaking red eyes and then shake the leaves. You may even see them jumping on each other, almost wrestling.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by MantidBro View Post
    Awesome!!

Good method for quarantining the moss

Sounds like you have two males. The males usually respond to other male croaking red eyes and then shake the leaves. You may even see them jumping on each other, almost wrestling.
    From what was described, the presumed female frog only makes a single croak in response to the male. Females often respond to males but it is not as loud or as long. So I would say that the frog is indeed a female

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I monitor the curvature of the nose/mouth area and skin textures(im good at mature firebellies). The wife looks for the pads on the feet shes good at that part where im still learning. redeyetreefrog.org also suggests the female barks once then shakes to notify the male of her location. Lilly also sleeps close to or over the pond. Herman wanders where he pleases.

Perhaps time shall tell as to Lillys true sex. Currently all 13 of my frogs are having a growth spurt. Its strange how all their growth, no matter origin kind of goes together. Even the green anoles and long tails are in "the season" here but thats a discussion for elsewhere

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Well, i officially fell clean off the deep end. This will be the red eyes new home. Getting the proper fixture shortly. It, like all else is planted. Curse you people for the new brom kick by the way... Its got about another week of settling in and tweaking before they will go in. They currently have a little in ground pool that will be transfering over. Weve also considered a small waterfall. With screen in it so it can be cleaned.

Whatcha think?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Pretty cool!

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Perfect timing.

Evolution:

We decided we will put a small pool under the back left of the brom. At the base of the pothos. The spanish moss in that back corner should love it. Dont ask lol.

And yes lija, i asked the wife what would be the perfect frog(darts) in there... she told me to shut my dirty mouth lmfao

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

So, awoke angrily this morning to a screaming waterfall, and soaked soil. We took it out and set it flat. Wouldnt ya know the piece of poop is running water right out of the catch pan/trough cover. Bad design man...
    So back to the pet store 1 for my dang money back, 2 just grrrrrrrrrr $40 piece of poopie... Back to the drawing board i guess. We put the small pond under/between the brom and button fern. Looks good too... Watching their behavior the pond is just the poo hole anyways. They rarely ever fully enter it.

So. We may just get a good container, expand a foam, or some nice rocks, silicone, and make our own. I already have tons of turtle pumps(holy flow rate batman) from various waterfalls, rain chambers, and background builds over time.... so who knows whatll happen. Still extremely butthurt over the exo terra fail though.
    Last edited by Krispy; March 29th, 2015 at 09:29 AM. Reason: my phone sucks.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Exo-terra is only good for one thing. Terrariums. Even some people who keep axolotls say that the rock hide thing leaked paint into the water! Honestly, I would just stick to getting nothing else but tanks from them

19. This member thanks Cliygh and Mia 2 for this post:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Cliygh and Mia 2 View Post
    Exo-terra is only good for one thing. Terrariums. Even some people who keep axolotls say that the rock hide thing leaked paint into the water! Honestly, I would just stick to getting nothing else but tanks from them
    Amen to that. And light fixtures... we use alot of the 2 switch 3 socket ones. I think theyre usually for the upright tanks but im a make to fit kinda person lol

Amazing!!

oh really?? interesting! id not known females responded this way

Thread Information