Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Josh's Frogs Sheet Moss

100+ Post Member ThatGuyWithTheFace's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Josh's Frogs Sheet Moss

There's not many photos of their product anywhere, so I thought I'd post one.

I'm very happy with how much they give you. Get the regular shipping, it's dried. It comes like this
    Very very suspicious looking bag. Lol I filled my tank and still have half the moss I received.
    Last edited by ThatGuyWithTheFace; March 16th, 2015 at 05:43 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Josh's Frogs Sheet Moss

Yes, that stuff is great. I used in my Gray froglet grow out tanks, and one bag was enough to fill 4 ten gallon tanks. I put it through the wringer, and it still managed to come out looking pretty good. It will come alive and grow if you don't abuse it too badly.
    0.0.6 Hyla versicolor
    7.0.0 Dendropsophus leucophyllatus
    2.0.0 Homo sapiens sapiens (K & C, the *other* froglets)

"Cleansed in the finest quality spring water, lightly killed, and then sealed in a succulent Swiss quintuple smooth treble cream milk chocolate envelope, and lovingly frosted with glucose."

4. This member thanks Crunchy Frog for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Will this moss survived uv light 8-12 hours a day? Also I'll have a fogger on maybe every other day.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Will this moss survived uv light 8-12 hours a day? Also I'll have a fogger on maybe every other day.
    I have no clue, man. My UV light is on 11 hours a day. I'll tell you in a month or so how it's doing. I'm pretty sure it will need more than a UV light. Mine is under T8 lights, LED lights, and UV lights.

Nationality
    [United States]

Flybyferns or deranged chipmunk might be able to help you with that question. I'm no professional and have never grown plants before January. This post was just meant to show exactly what you get when you order the sheet moss.

Moss doesn't need a lot of light to grow, but it does need the proper color temp of light. 6500k or so. That moss, under high lighting (t5ho or led) will stay short, and bright green, under lower lighting levels, it grows a bit more stringy and leggy.

Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world ~ Nelson Mandela
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

9. This member thanks deranged chipmunk for this post:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Be sure to keep it moist as well. I dont order moss but i harvest it here. The chipmunk is right about lighting. We use hydroponic grow bulbs on every tank we have. I have seen people cheat and use GE brand Bright Effects full spectrum 56k twisty bulbs and have great success as well. Hope it helped and sorry im so breif. Gotta work and will follow this one....

11. This member thanks Krispy for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Krispy View Post
    Be sure to keep it moist as well. I dont order moss but i harvest it here. The chipmunk is right about lighting. We use hydroponic grow bulbs on every tank we have. I have seen people cheat and use GE brand Bright Effects full spectrum 56k twisty bulbs and have great success as well. Hope it helped and sorry im so breif. Gotta work and will follow this one....
    I harvested moss at some point and heard the need a dormancy period.

If it is a temperate moss, then yes, it will eventually need a dormancy period.

Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world ~ Nelson Mandela
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

14. This member thanks deranged chipmunk for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by deranged chipmunk View Post
    If it is a temperate moss, then yes, it will eventually need a dormancy period.

You're right, Bill. I never took into consideration that he might not live in a temperate area. XD I apologize Krispy.

i should mention though, that temperate mosses, like our native mosses, will do well in vivs. for a while. but inevitably, i am answering a "why did my moss die?" thread.the only success i have had using local (SE PA) mosses, was to let them dry out for a few weeks, then rehydrate and grow in a growout container for a few months. i still have some growing in one of my tanks from a few years ago. but that's the only bit i still have left.
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

17. This member thanks deranged chipmunk for this post:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

i should mention though, that temperate mosses, like our native mosses, will do well in vivs. for a while. but inevitably, i am answering a "why did my moss die?" thread.the only success i have had using local (SE PA) mosses, was to let them dry out for a few weeks, then rehydrate and grow in a growout container for a few months. i still have some growing in one of my tanks from a few years ago. but that's the only bit i still have left.
    We also pour almost boiling water through it for bugs. I cannot remember the forum that had the writeup. No i am in SW pa. Greensburg actually. Yes the moss does look, well brownish(but not dead) from time to time. What saves the moss i think is the ultrasonic fog machine we rigged. That and the wife. If our house goes under 72f in the winter im in trouble lol. N not with the frogs...

Sorry it takes me a while sometimes. Fighting to get my darn d/l back. That and always building stuff so i quickly pop on and off...

Nationality
    [United States]

Bill called it, not sure what happened with my moss, but it turned yellow. So I added two more 6,500 K CFLs. So that'¢ 2 four foot T8s, 2 CFLS, and an LED light. All 6,500k. I hope it may turn green again. I'm hoping it's just acclimating to it's new environment. Either way, I have a lot more. I should also say that it's not Josh's Frogs fault. Yes, I know the stream is dirty. The gravel was muddy when I added it. I'll eventually siphon it out. Nothing's living in it right now. Won't be for a while.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

The lights are too much. Might i suggest just a 5600k, because full spectrum is mainly uva, a 5-10.0 uvb, and your heat source ? Try a bigger fern(less direct light) and way more humidity. Moss does not like direct light, it does better under something else's shadow, possibly add a real or fake vine plant of some sort, and mist, mist, mist, moss soaks up the moisture... we harvest and grow our own moss in certain places, quite well might i add(cheaters)... Everything we have is green and lush. some bark or leaf letter under the moss will give it something to root to, feed on, and cling to(easy removal for cleaning). Let us know how it goes. Can i see your light setup btw?
    Last edited by Krispy; March 31st, 2015 at 09:39 PM. Reason: stupid phone

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Krispy View Post
    The lights are too much. Might i suggest just a 5600k, because full spectrum is mainly uva, a 5-10.0 uvb, and your heat source ? Try a bigger fern(less direct light) and way more humidity. Moss does not like direct light, it does better under something else's shadow, possibly add a real or fake vine plant of some sort, and mist, mist, mist, moss soaks up the moisture... we harvest and grow our own moss in certain places, quite well might i add(cheaters)... Everything we have is green and lush. some bark or leaf letter under the moss will give it something to root to, feed on, and cling to(easy removal for cleaning). Let us know how it goes. Can i see your light setup btw?
    Dang, seems as though I took a step in the wrong direction. Lol I have some pothos just lying around. Waiting to be used, along with my various other vivarium related projects/plants. I could use those. Like I've said before, I've never grown plants before this viv. Thanks by the way! I want to make this an arboreal tank, so I have an idea on how to create some shadows.

The problem is not the lighting. There actually is no problem whatsoever. Sheet moss is sold in a dormant state. It needs to recover. It will green back up, it just needs time.

As far as the lighting goes, moss will do fine in intense light as well as diffused. It will just have different growth habits. 6500-6700k is optimum for vegetative growth. Uv light is not required and as a matter of fact, is wasted on a dart tank, due to the glass on top, sealing it. UVB is a short wave radiation that gets blocked by glass by about 95+%. UVA is a long wave radiation and only fares slightly better penetration through glass.

Here are examples of the same moss, from the same package, under different intensities to show the different growth habits I mentioned.
    This first one is sheet moss grown under T8 6700k bulbs. Notice it is still brown, but growing very leggy
    And the same moss, grown under T5HO lighting. It grows extremely compact and bright

Moss can be one of the most trying plants to grow. It requires a lot of patience. Even more so when converting aquatic mosses to a terrestrial environment. But that's a whole other topic lol

0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Sorry, this is a better pic of the low light moss

The two tanks sit side by side. I can take a pic of the two together this evening of you want a side by side comparison.

0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Wow man. Idk what kind of moss they ship for you to use. Mine never looks that run down lol. Even the moss in my snake tank, all winter, the worst that happened is a brown tint for a week...

Maybe because i pick/choose/harvest our own?

If i have time for moss pics i will. Mr Bill, should it be a new thread?

25. This member thanks Krispy for this post:

That was dry, dormant moss. It always turns brown first. It needs to recover first. Very rarely will you ever get live moss from the Viv/reptile suppliers. Even when I field collect moss and dry it out to a dormant state, it will turn brown first before it recovers, especially in a low light situation. Now, in the high light tank, the same moss never browned out. It stayed that bright, lush green and kept it's compact growth.

A new thread for moss pics isn't a bad idea.

0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

27. This member thanks deranged chipmunk for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

That was dry, dormant moss. It always turns brown first. It needs to recover first. Very rarely will you ever get live moss from the Viv/reptile suppliers. Even when I field collect moss and dry it out to a dormant state, it will turn brown first before it recovers, especially in a low light situation. Now, in the high light tank, the same moss never browned out. It stayed that bright, lush green and kept it's compact growth.

A new thread for moss pics isn't a bad idea.

That's what I assumed! I knew it wasn't sure the retailer's fault. I guess I'll just wait for it to turn green again. I wish it was as easy as java moss was! I used to have trouble keeping java moss as a carpet because it grew so much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information