Thread: Lighting/heat help?

Rattus Knits

Default Lighting/heat help?

Hello
    i recently got a ABF and was using a heating pad, but when I moved him to the 15 g the heat pad didn't do much anymore and with the cold weather here I decided to change to lights and just most the tank a bit more. Issue is that on here many people said use a 50 watt build so I got a black 50 watt heat bulb and it only gets the tank to mid/high 60's and that's with another heat light on too. To compensate I've been using the space heater to get my room into the 70's and this gets the tank to 80 but I have rats who don't do great in that temp and when I'm not home I can't run the heater. So for the winter can I huge a higher wattage bulb? If so what wattage should I use? I also have it hooked up to a thermostat so the tank won't get too hot, and should I get a day or night bulb?
    thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Lighting/heat help?

Hi,
    black 50w bulb don't do anything much, you need infrared lamp or ceramic heat emitter. 50w infrared is way better then 50wblack. You don't need anything for night, infrared lamp is ok for day and night use.

but before you do anything make sure your readings are correct! What gauges are you using?
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Rattus Knits

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    Hi,
    black 50w bulb don't do anything much, you need infrared lamp or ceramic heat emitter. 50w infrared is way better then 50wblack. You don't need anything for night, infrared lamp is ok for day and night use.

but before you do anything make sure your readings are correct! What gauges are you using?
    how bright is the infared? The tank is in my bedroom so I don't want it super bright but I can defy use it during the day.
    And I use the probe from the thermostat and a probe thermometer both down on the substrate

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Red is kinda bright, I won't be able to sleep with that in a room. Get ceramic heat emitter then, no light from it at all
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Thread Information