Thread: New fbt

galsipjr

Default New fbt

I have recently purchased 3 fbt and have them in a 10g tank. 50/50 water land. I have a covering of moss on the land area. Also have a repti clear f250 terrain filter running in the water. When I purchased the toads I also got 10 feeder fish that I put in the water. 2 of the fish died and the rest must have gotten eaten. It's been 2 days since they were out of fish and I was reading don't give them more than 1 meal worm so I tried feeding them meal worms with tweezers but they just jump around. If I put them in a dish they crawl out into the moss and disappear or 1 toad eats them all. I currently go to the pet store once a week to grab supplies and food for all my reptiles and I plan to starting to breed my own dubia roaches. We hate crickets and don't buy them. So here are my questions

1. What is the best food for them, how often, and how to feed them.
    2. How often should I change the water/deep clean since I have a good filter running.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Tongue Flicker

Default Re: New fbt

I feed small to medium crickets with the hind legs removed. I sometimes toss in some lateralis roaches, adult black soldier flies and blue bottle larvae in their diet. Chopped nightcrawlers will also suffice.
    I don't have a feeding regimen but i may sometimes feed daily, every other day or even once every 3-4 days on a cool day. Fbts can be easily monitored physically when it comes to their hunger. Just be sure to not overfeed them.

As for the water, sorry can't help you with that. i'm using a huge water bowl so i can manually changed it daily or every other day depending on my frogs' waste output.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Yeah, you're stuck with crickets. I have 10 in a planted 40g viv. Partial water changes usually done weekly with an as much as possible change 1 time monthly. For feeding with mine i do every other day. I dust with calcuim 2x a week and calcuim+d3 1time weekly. You can deffinatly tell when they are overfed because they get fat fast... We have a 55gallon size turtle carbon fliter being as we have 10 in a tank. Changes to the filter are weekly with the partial change. As much as they make so much waste its more than necessary.

Any pictures of your babies?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I've got two fbt's in a 10 gallon viv, roughly 50/50 land and water. I just feed them dusted crickets. Mine won't take food unless it's moving on it's own. So I just put in five or six crickets every two or three days. The crickets sometimes jump in the water. It seems their first instinct though when they hit the water is to wait and be still. At first I thought they were drowning immediately, but after a minute, they usually start moving again, and if one of the fbt's doesn't get them, they make it to somewhere dry.

Personnally I think meal worms have too thick an exoskeleton for the fbt's digestive system.

I don't have a pump or filter in this small viv. It has a gravel base and live plants that I think helps keep the water clean naturally. Although I do change the water every week to 10 days, I've never had the ammonia or anything else test out of desired range. I use distilled water. Though I might consider other types of water if I didn't have the rocks and live plants to buffer my water.

Thread Information