Thread: Sexing Vietnamese Mossy Frogs...

M11

Default Sexing Vietnamese Mossy Frogs...

Greetings!

I am new to the boards, so I would like to say hello first. Anyway, I have taken a deep appreciation for frogs as of late, as I have acquired 2 mossy frogs that are now about 7 months old. They are doing quite well in their vivarium.

Thus far, I do hear them calling. I have heard "whoops," "kitten like calls," and the very strange "high pitched chicken gobble." But I believe one is calling more than the other. I have been looking at their nuptial pads lately, and I can see that they do both have them. One has pads that are much more pink than the other. The other has pads, but they are more beige, smaller, and similar to the light tones on the belly.

I have seen pictures of female and male mossy frogs, and the male pads are quite large and very pink compared to either of mine. I will try to upload some pictures lately, but my camera is bad and it is hard to find them at the right time, and with the right lighting.

Any tips for sexing them? I guess eggs will tell. Does anyone have good photos with a comparison?

M

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Sexing Vietnamese Mossy Frogs...

Hi, welcome to FrogForum! If you have calling AND nuptial pads I'd say the chances are good they are both males. I've heard it is exceedingly difficult to obtain a female Love Mossys and would love to see pics of yours!
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

M11

I initially thought they were both males as they were developing. I recently began thinking differently because one frog accounts for about 90% of the calls at night. He is also the one with the pinkish, swollen pads. The other doesn't call much and has pads, like both males and females do, but they aren't swollen and pink.

These are very hard to sex. Both males and females call, albeit males call more than females. Both males and females have nuptial pads, but males are larger, swollen, and pink.

The link below looks just like the frog I think is possibly a female. I thought this forum had some frog wizard capable of identifying the sex even without pictures?

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...-sexing-*HELP*

Time will tell. I will try to get some pictures up. I am looking into getting some dart frogs now. Frogs are so cool.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by M11 View Post
    I initially thought they were both males as they were developing. I recently began thinking differently because one frog accounts for about 90% of the calls at night. He is also the one with the pinkish, swollen pads. The other doesn't call much and has pads, like both males and females do, but they aren't swollen and pink.

These are very hard to sex. Both males and females call, albeit males call more than females. Both males and females have nuptial pads, but males are larger, swollen, and pink.

The link below looks just like the frog I think is possibly a female. I thought this forum had some frog wizard capable of identifying the sex even without pictures?

*HELP* Mossy frog sexing *HELP*

Time will tell. I will try to get some pictures up. I am looking into getting some dart frogs now. Frogs are so cool.
    Hmm, from everything I've run across it seems only the males have the nuptial pads, like in other species (I'll have to check again later). Here are a few posts I found on the subject, though likely you've already seen them Hope this helps!

Poison Dart Frogs Poison Arrow Frogs Dart Frogs & Poison Arrow Dart Frogs Terrarium Animals from Saurian Enterprises, Inc. (Mossy info page)

Sexing Mossy Frogs - talk to the frog

Vietnamese Mossy Frogs - talk to the frog

Mossy Tree Frog Dilemma

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/oth...frog-info.html
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny

M11

Yes, I have seen those threads, and that is where I am getting most of my info. Good idea to consolidate the links.

I can hear them hopping around now. One is more active than the other it seems. I am having a hard time convincing them to eat dubia roaches. I have a couple colonies going on now, and plenty of small ones. I really want them to eat dubia happily, as I am so tired of crickets. Ideas as to how one should get frogs to try new foods?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by M11 View Post
    Yes, I have seen those threads, and that is where I am getting most of my info. Good idea to consolidate the links.

I can hear them hopping around now. One is more active than the other it seems. I am having a hard time convincing them to eat dubia roaches. I have a couple colonies going on now, and plenty of small ones. I really want them to eat dubia happily, as I am so tired of crickets. Ideas as to how one should get frogs to try new foods?
    Figured you did, lol

Good question... I don't mind the crickets, but I have some finicky butts who's decided they don't want to eat them. Of course these guys are due to be treated for strongyloides, bleh, so maybe that's why their appetites are off. When I tried Dubias on my WTFs when they were juveniles they went for them, but sadly they didn't digest them... again this could be because of parasite issues. I'm wanting to pick some Dubias up at an upcoming reptile expo and give them another shot. Will also be getting some hornworms (yay!) which I've been wanting to try on them for a long time now. I would recommend offering a variety of foods to frogs when they are younger and not so set on any particular feeder, otherwise give healthy adult frogs a 2-3 day fast then try them on the new feeder; I'd do a bowl for the Dubia & tongs for waxworms and night crawlers. Never fed the hornworms before so will have to decide the best method to feed those once I see how active they are. I am also looking for flightless house flies (not fruit flies) but it is practically impossible to find those... no way in heck I'm bringing flighted house flies into this apartment!
    Mom to these fine frogs!

I hope this link works:

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...e7&oe=56C3AE14

photo collage by Evgeny Evgeny Ryboltovsky

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I love Mossys. they remind me of baby dragons. Good luck with them.
    1.0.0 Husband
    0.2.0 Chinese Crested Powder Puff dogs
    2.1.0 American Hairless Terrier dogs
    1.0.0 horses
    2.0.0 Eastern Gray Treefrogs
    1.1.0 Dendrobates Tinctorius Azureus
    2.3.0 rosy boas

Thread Information