Thread: Help sick green tree frog

Mich

Default Help sick green tree frog

Help I have a 14yr old green tree frog. He's always been easily stressed but two weeks ago I cleaned out their home. I use large stones on the bottom charcoal soil more stones. I only use hot water to clean it. But since then I feel but I may not be related.. He has stopped eating lost a lot of weight skin has gone all spotty. I took him to the vets and we are trying baytril on drop on his back every second day. He said to use for 4wks. I called the vet today to when I should notice a change. As I fear the longer I wait he may not make it!! But I wasn't able to speak to the vet and next can see him on Tuesday. I wish I could get him to eat but he's not interested at all. Is there anything I could try that could help? I've seen a few posts about the honey baths??

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Help sick green tree frog

So, he has some kind of skin infection or fungus? I'm not a vet but honey has some mild antibiotic properties, so a drop of honey in a bath might help and it might also give him energy for going after food, but then it might also make him more stressed.

(I'm sure some people are going to ask about things like temperature, so here's a link to some questions that might help more experienced people figure out what's going on: http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frogs/...enclosure.html

Sorry he's sick and good luck.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Hi Mitch, sorry your guy isn't well The questions Elly mentioned would definitely be helpful. 14 years is a good long life for a frog, I'm just wondering if at his advanced age his immune system is no longer able to keep up with things and that's why he's fallen ill. Did the vet do a swab to determine what's wrong with his skin? Has your frog been soaking more than normal? Have you found poop from him lately? When frogs get constipated or have parasites their appetites can be thrown off too.

For a honey bath mix 3-4 drops of natural real honey (not a corn syrup-honey mix) in 8 oz of lukewarm water and soak your frog in this up to his chin (might take more than 8 oz of water if he's big) for about 20 minutes, follow with a lukewarm bath of honey-free water to rinse him off. Make sure the water is dechlorinated.

If you need to get some nourishment into him, other than the honey bath I would recommend Fluker's Repta Boost; that means force feeding it to him if he won't eat, which can be stressful too, but sometimes is the only way to help save a frog..

I really hope he will pull through for you! Let us know what the vet says when you get in touch with him.
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

Mich

Hey guys thanks for your responses. It trying to answer the questions as best I can. I don't think he's eaten for close to two weeks.
    Water is changed daily. I leave the water I the sun to remove chorine. They have a water fountain to help with humitlty.
    trying to load pics up but only have them on my iphone. They have plenty of space a 3/4 of meter by 3/4 of a meter. Fed gutloaded crickets.
    Vet suggested calcium and mutivits. So have started the calcium using a spray that just goes on the crickets before feeding. Waiting for multivitamin in post!
    Added heat only when cold here. Uv light during the day. Vet recommended taking them out side in natural light a few days a wk. but it was too stressful for my frogs.
    I change their inclosure once a year but remove poos any waste regularly. I use normal at the bottom rocks charchoal potting soil more rocks.
    They have three different ledgers water bowl fountain two fake plants wood and a wood branch going from the bottom to top. Been like this for a while now with no problems but did just change the soil and stuff lately. Have another frog which is going fine just getting fatter as she keeps eating the extra crickets!
    this frog has always been slimmer than the other and has never been a great eater. Normally have to put the food right in front of him. But even doing that still doesn't go for the crickets.

vet didn't take any swaps! Seeing him again on tues will ask if he can!
    my frogs skin has gone patchy with dark green light green and brown.
    seems to have a little bit more energy at night but not much!
    Gave him a honey bath with manuka honey only honey I had. Seemed more lively but still didn't go for food.
    don't think he has done any poos. But found a tiny yellow blob near him yesterday...

Mich

He's been soaking just the same as always. How often can I do the honey baths? Vet wasn't sure If it was that said it was nothing contagious. But said to try this then go from there. He thought it could be stress related.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

That's really strange... what did you use for soil? Was the blob gelatinous in nature? I wonder if he's having a coccidiosis flare from the change... frogs can be silent carriers of coccidia and it not be a problem until they are stressed out. That blotchy skin sure doesn't sound good though.

I wouldn't go excessive with the honey baths, but I don't think a couple in consecutive days would hurt anything. Anyone else have any ideas on this...?
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny

Mich

Yes it was alittle gel like. I just bought normal potting soil from a garden shop. I just bought extra stones to keep it well covered. My thought was at first something maybe in the soil. But then I also wonder then if the other frog would be sick too then?

also I put the baytril again on him last night and I've noticed this morning it changed the colour of his in that spot to a lighter green. I'm putting one tiny drop every second day. But wonder if it's best mixed in water. I've read that's how some ppl use it.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Hmm... it could well be something in the soil. Was it heat treated? Is it chemical free? Might be since he's older, and possibly immune compromised, that the other frogs wouldn't have been effected the same way.

I don't have experience using Baytril (yet at any rate *knock on wood!*) so can't say there. I would definitely ask the vet before trying to dilute it.
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Mich

So I spoke to the vet again today. He feels I need to give the baytril longer to see any results. He said the spots from the baytril is normal and will go away. I was worried about him still not eating he said he probably won't eat for awhile but said frogs can go a long time without eating. I will see him again next wk if no improvement.

I Changed the soil today to a organic one. Wish I could find one esp designed for frogs (pets) no luck. But I have used this soil before with no problems. I also used boiling water to clean everything just in case to kill anything that could be making him sick!
    I did the same with the rocks and made sure they completely cover the soil. While I did that I had the frogs in some real natural light to help. He was really active in there but probably wanted to escape.

my other frog is the same age but she's very relaxed and has never had a problem with eating.

will start doing the honey baths too.
    Hopefully he'll pick up soon!
    Thanks for you help and if anyone has any other ideas pls let me know
    will let you know how he goes

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

An electrolyte bath or treatment may do good to jump start his immune system. I use exo terra brand from the local pet store. It really does help with high stress animals. I called exo terra myself when i first purchased it(because i thought it was bs honestly but it works) and made sure you can dilute it into your misting water as well. Hope this little tidbit helps out!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I don't know what they treat water with in Australia, but in the US they use a new way to chlorinate water, so the chlorine no longer evaporates if left sitting out. You might want to look into that.

13. This member thanks elly for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I would have him checked for protozoans too if you noticed jelly-like material from him. Good luck and keep up updated!
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Mich

Well yesterday morning my frog started to look better. His colour was improving I noticed him walking around more going into his water. Then by lunch time I thought he looked like he was breathing weirdly and he looked like he was trying to poo wee and then he died!!! I'm so upset I've had him for 14yrs and it's weird not having him around. He was always the loud one and will be missed greatly!
    Really wish I had taken him this wk to the vet but since I told the vet what he was doing and he said to leave it another wk for the baytril to work I'm guessing it would of been hard for the vet to know where to begin but rrrr

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Omg man.... my condolences... Im so sorry

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Aw, crud... so sorry to hear about that. 14 years was a good long life for any frog, you certainly did your best for him that you could.
    Mom to these fine frogs!

taniaaust1

Sorry to hear about your frog.

Chloramines is what they are now chlorinating some water with now days in which sunlight doesn't break down like chlorine breaks down.

Mich

So gutted! Thank you all for your help and your information. I'm taking everything you all have said on board and will be doing different things like the water from now on. My other frog she is 14 also and looking very healthy still I hope to get her to 20yrs!! And I think I'll just go with my gut next time and get them to test whatever they can.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mich View Post
    So gutted! Thank you all for your help and your information. I'm taking everything you all have said on board and will be doing different things like the water from now on. My other frog she is 14 also and looking very healthy still I hope to get her to 20yrs!! And I think I'll just go with my gut next time and get them to test whatever they can.
    Good deal, more power to you. I certainly hope she does reach 20 and beyond!
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Thread Information