Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: i think there somthing wrong with my frog

dustyn134

Default i think there somthing wrong with my frog

ive had my frog for around 2 weeks now and he wont eat i cant see any poop either and on his right side i can see through it i got him in a new tank a few days ago and let him be and he still wont eat i noticed slime in his water bowl im not sure what that could be plz help

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: i think there somthing wrong with my frog

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with your frog. How often do you change the water in your frog's dish? The slime could be algae or stagnation. Answering the following questions will help so the folks here can figure out how to help.

2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences
    3. Humidity
    4. Temperature
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish
    6. Materials used for substrate
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials.
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.
    8. Main food source
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often)
    10. Lighting
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure
    12. When is the last time he/she ate
    13. Have you found poop lately
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    15. Describe frog's symptoms and/or recent physical changes; to include it's ventral/belly area.
    16. How old is the frog
    17. How long have you owned him/her
    18. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred
    19. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats
    20. How often the frog is handled
    21. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area
    22. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc)

dustyn134

2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences -0
    3. Humidity-80
    4. Temperature warm side of tank 82 - cooler side 78
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish - i use spring water with 2 drops of conditioner per 8oz of water
    6. Materials used for substrate- 100% coco fiber
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials.
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv. - 2 fake plants his water bowl and a half logs house
    8. Main food source- crickets but he hasnt eaten since ive got him
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often)- twice a week on all my other animals cant beacuse it wont eat
    10. Lighting- 50w moon bulb
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure - 50w moon bulb and 10-20 gall (UTH) on hot side
    12. When is the last time he/she ate - the pet store said it ate before i recived the frog
    13. Have you found poop lately- none
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    15. Describe frog's symptoms and/or recent physical changes; to include it's ventral/belly area. - my frog just sits in the same spot day and night and i let him soak in warm water for 15m and i noticed slime in the water and it was fresh water so i picked him up to see if i could see anything wrong and i noticed his right side was see through and i could see somthing black in his body
    16. How old is the frog- not sure hes around the size of a half dollar
    17. How long have you owned him/her- prox 2 weeks
    18. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred- captive
    19. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats- none so far
    20. How often the frog is handled
    21. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area- very low
    22. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc)- i havent really changed much i had him in a smaller tank last week so moved him to the new one i went out and bought a pacman starter kit from zoo med the 10 gal tank and i change his water every day or if hes ben in it

dustyn134

pic of his tank-http://s725.photobucket.com/user/Dustyn_Batdorf/media/FOT62B0_zpswstj4mox.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

pic of him when i first got him-http://s725.photobucket.com/user/Dustyn_Batdorf/media/FOT149F_zpsmbxs8yqd.jpg.html?sort=3&o=4

pic of him now-http://s725.photobucket.com/user/Dustyn_Batdorf/media/FOTAAA7_zpsrl7iiggj.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

The links didn't work

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Here are working links so they're easier for people to access:

pic of his tank-FOT62B0_zpswstj4mox.jpg Photo by Dustyn_Batdorf | Photobucket

pic of him when i first got him-FOT149F_zpsmbxs8yqd.jpg Photo by Dustyn_Batdorf | Photobucket

pic of him now-FOTAAA7_zpsrl7iiggj.jpg Photo by Dustyn_Batdorf | Photobucket

The only thing I see that could be fixed in his tank would be to cover the sides so he feels a bit more secure. I'm not sure what's going on with your frog, but I'm not a pacman expert so someone else will likely know more. My first thought is just that he's stressed from the changes in tanks, or it could be a matter of the food you're offering. Did you offer him the same thing he'd been eating before you got him?

dustyn134

im not sure what they fed him and tonight he did somthing diffrent for a change usally he sits in one spot tonight he buried hiself under the coco fiber to where i cant see him at all but im not going to dig him up ill leave him there unless he stays there over a couple days

Nationality
    [Canada]

Can you post a good picture of the frog? The side that is see through if you can get it. I don't think its your setup, it looks fine. When you look at the see through part does it look like there is water in there? What does it feel like when you touch it, does it feel solid on that side or does it feel squishy? Are you sure it wasn't shed in the water? If it wasn't shed he could have some kind of bacterial or fungal infection. Does he seem slimey all the time? Im not sure what the black inside could be but it sounds like your frog retaining water for reason and there could be a few reasons for this. A good picture would be great so we can help you out abit more. Are you still using that analog 2-1 that's on your back wall? Get some digital if you are that thing is no good.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

It took my little guy a few to be comfy. That and help from Lija. Is your heat pad under or on the side of the tank? Pacmans burrow to cool down and soak up a little moisture usually. So on the side is where ya want to be. Also, have you tried to feed in a seperate container? This may help some i hope.

Curious. You refer to alot of terms like me... Do you have a snake?

dustyn134

ya when i let my frog soak in warm water he kinda felt slimy but on when he is wet and when i see in his stomach its squishy like water in it

dustyn134

and i dont put pads on the side of the tank ive had one bust my glass from misting the tank for my tiger salamanders tank one day and its only a 8w pad i put my finger in the bottom i dont think its possible for it to burn him its rather weak

dustyn134

ok so i just force fed him because he hasnt eaten in two weeks and is just a baby i put the cricket in his mouth and he swallowed it up and then after bit me so atleast hes fed could it be the crickets he dont like i want to try works but i cant think of anywhere that sells worms this time of year where i live

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I pray you use something to regulate that uth. They burrow to cool down not heat up. Get a regulator and move that pad man...

Nationality
    [Canada]

When people mention not to put a UTH on the bottom it isn't just because of burning the frog. Its more that this a burrowing frog and he does this to cool off and get out of the light and heat of the sun. So if he feels warm and tries to burrow to cool off he will not be able to because the substrate is warm to, it throws them off from being able to regulate there body temperature. Think of when your outside and dig a hole the farther down you go the colder the soil or dirt becomes. Can you take a picture of the side that's clear? And is that side swollen? When you bought your frog what kind of bedding was he on there? Im wondering if he is impacted and that's what the black thing is inside and its damaged or tore something internally and he has an infection. I don't think the crickets are the problem, I think he severely impacted or he is sick with something. Did you try a honey bath yet to see if he would poo?

dustyn134

will it be fine on the side if im misting my cage like it wont bust or anything

Nationality
    [Canada]

Just try not spray directly on that wall. I have 2 on mine and I haven't had a problem.

Nationality
    [Canada]

I just went back and looked at the pictures, is it the right side?

dustyn134

my heat pad is on the left under 3in -4in of substraight and i only have 1 heat pad so the other half my tank would be colder under the substraight

dustyn134

i moved the log to the right and the water bowl over the heat pad

Nationality
    [Canada]

Ok, if you choose to leave it there it is your choice I have mentioned that it isn't best idea but its not my frog so lets move on from the Uth for a moment a try to figure what is causeing the see through side. That was not meant to be or sound rude so please don't take it that way I just think we need to focus on little guy right now. When you bought him what was he on? anything big he could have ingested.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information