Thread: CA toad questions

Pitbulldoxie

Default CA toad questions

Was curious what to feed to CA toads I currently have three. They are getting crickets and fruit flies but was wanting to give them some variety. There about three months old and can eat small cricket size food. They have been getting fruit flies multiple times a day since the flies are so tiny. Any other care tips also greatly appreciated

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: CA toad questions

Quote Originally Posted by Pitbulldoxie View Post
    Was curious what to feed to CA toads I currently have three. They are getting crickets and fruit flies but was wanting to give them some variety. There about three months old and can eat small cricket size food. They have been getting fruit flies multiple times a day since the flies are so tiny. Any other care tips also greatly appreciated
    Hmm CA? You mean cali? Or cane toads? Well here is what I gathered from a friend, go to an expo and buy yourself a ton of weavils, also you could try feeding baby roaches, and small moths.

As for care tips. I think if its a cane toad just mimic a tropical environment. Mine seems to be happy on one. As for a CA toad. Iam guessing foresty?

I think if you have a toad you should stick to plain DIRT, because its good for digging and it doesnt stick to them like coco husk, and not as messy. Make sure to m ake the substrate 4-5inches deep. Get a large pile of leaves and put em on one side, theyd hide under it. Also get those habba huts, they like those for some reason. Make sure you have a dish of water for them. If you have enough room you could get a really small rubbermaid, and use it as a swimming hole for them or a 2 gallontank. Lol. All toads except the sonoran desert toad doesnt like really bright lights. SO make sure, you have a decent dim light. Nothing thats too bright. To them, its like you going to the dentist and them shinning that extremely obnoxious bright light onto you. If its a north american toad, just keep the temps up to 68-72. They dont like extremely warm temps, or extremely cold temps. But they do appreciate "cool-warm" temps Like in between. Not too hot, but not too cold.

I would cover the backside, left side, and right side of the terrarrium with a black background. I suggest the construction paper, since it doesnt "shine" and reflect the shine on to the tank annoying the crud out of the toads.

Favorite foods for toads:
    MOTHS
    Earthworms
    Slugs, snails.
    Roaches
    Grasshoppers, crickets and locusts.
    Beetles(dont give more than 4 per 2-3 weeks or it can cause impaction)
    Wax worms.
    Pheonix worms(high in calcium)
    Iam sure theres a few insects I havent mentioned, but thats the most varied diet for an adult.
    Dont feed:

Mealworms
    Fireflies(toxic to all animals)
    Goldfish(high in fat and transmits parasites and illness).
    I cant think of anymore.

Just make the tank elaborate, and change the furniture around every month to keep the toads interested.

Pitbulldoxie

They are bufo boreas halophilus or the California toad. Thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by Pitbulldoxie View Post
    They are bufo boreas halophilus or the California toad. Thanks for the info
    I love toads. I am aspiring to become "expert" on them. I know that their favorite foods are:
    Moths(Favorite of all)
    Worms(Of all kinds, just dont feed superworms/megaworms/ or mealworms. Try feeding earthworms, goliath worms, silk worms, wax worms, etc etc.)
    Roaches(Ived seen mine gobble them up like there is NO tommorrow.

alll of these are healthy for your toads. Remember not to over feed the toad. Feed the toad during night time, with a light th at isnt too bright. I just noticed toads like to hang out under lamp posts alot.
    good luck.

Thread Information