Thread: Worms for small whites?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Worms for small whites?

How big should a whites tree frog be before you offer nightcrawlers? My boys are about 1.5" SVL so they seem too small for even a cut up worm, but what is a good size to start eating worm sections? I tried finding baby nightcrawlers but all I could find were big ones.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Worms for small whites?

I found that the "red worms" sold at walmart were European nightcrawlers, not red wigglers (the tub did list the scientific name) so I picked some up for my boys. The European ones were a lot smaller than the Canadian nightcrawler so I was able to cut some of the smaller ones in half. James goes nuts for the worms but Steve can't stand them. The one he did grab he spat out right away. the little trouble maker!

I'll see if Steve likes the Canadian kind when he gets big enough or else he'll just get the occasional waxwork treat maybe. Picky little dude! At least James is easy to please!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I would love to find a source of small or baby nightcrawlers. My Martha was taking down pretty good sized ones, and she seemed to do fine, but I think the last one must have given her trouble because she hasn't eaten them ever since My other guys were eating them, but it was too much trouble to try to cut the things into disgusting slimy bloody bits that were small enough for them.Yuck!
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

5. 2 members thank irThumper for this post:

Frogger00

Default Worms for small whites?

Quote Originally Posted by irThumper View Post
    I would love to find a source of small or baby nightcrawlers. My Martha was taking down pretty good sized ones, and she seemed to do fine, but I think the last one must have given her trouble because she hasn't eaten them ever since My other guys were eating them, but it was too much trouble to try to cut the things into disgusting slimy bloody bits that were small enough for them.Yuck!
    I totally understand. Cutting a worm is so gross it makes me gag bad lol. I hate it when I go to cut off the head, and instead of just the head coming off the whole insides of the worm come with it. Just revolting!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you can get to a reptile show they usually have small horn worms which are small nontoxic if captive bred very nutritious little critters that offer more calcium then several night crawlers Great Lakes horn worms can ship you 100 horn worm eggs for around 75 if I remember right and they sell their food too. Horn worms are about an inch so frogs can rip them up easy and their abut as squishy as a wax worm. Other good foods I can think of that you might find online is fly larvae called spikes and if you grow them in a jar to adult flys refrigerate the flys release the stunned flys and let the frog go to town with flying prey. And the worms will need chopped up till their close to full size I feed a frog that big bug only equal to the size of its mouth or it needs chopped up sand by mouth size I'm talking width and of the mouth to inhale them quick till they learn to bite and hold or swallow their prey down.

Thread Information