Thread: Cane toad feeding issues

LadyAijou

Default Cane toad feeding issues

Hey all! Really hoping for some good advice, as my baby Kaiju sure has me worried. As of about 6 or 8 weeks ago, she's looking pretty thin, though I don't think dangerously so yet. She stopped taking mealworms, which she used to always jump in ahead of her tank mate to get to first. For awhile she was good and chubby, but it seems she's lost interest in the worms now. I've been using crickets as her staple, and I'm pretty sure she's taking some of them occasionally, but it's hard to know for sure. Tried grasshoppers too, didn't want those either. We've had an ungodly cold winter, so it's been a challenge to keep her tank at 75 degrees +, but I'm currently running an under the tank heating pad as well as one affixed to one side of the tank. I've been using coconut fiber substrate, and misting twice a day, so I think conditions are alright. Not sure what else I can try to spark the little stinker's appetite though, her tank mate isn't having any issues, he's a fat little bugger already. She doesn't seem lethargic, when I go near her she promptly "pees" at me and then hops away. When I go to hold her she's plenty strong, and can easily wiggle out of my grasp. I haven't noticed anything as far as actual warning signs, just that she's not eating as much as she should, and even when crickets run across her nose she doesn't care. Not sure if that's because she doesn't want me watching/is nervous around me still, or if she just really isn't hungry. She doesn't really seem to be deteriorating, so it's possible she's nibbling a few crickets overnight each night.

Gonna try linking some pics as I can't seem to get uploads to work:
    The first one Kaiju is on the left, her tank mate Zilla is on the right

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5i...ew?usp=sharing

This one is Kaiju alone.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5i...ew?usp=sharing

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Cane toad feeding issues

Hi there: I've got three small Cane toads, had them about seven months or so. They were caught in the Miami area and do okay. I've got them in a large Tupperware container with a hiding box and water bowl (smaller Tupperware container). I use the ground up coconut husk and keep it moist, not wet. they stay under the hide box all the time, and only find them in the water bowl at night. The room is at 78°. For feeding I give them night crawlers ( they don't care for them so much ), canned cat food (they like that ) and defrosted small mice ( not all that often as they're expensive ). Their feeding and activity has dropped off during the winter but they haven't seem to have lost any body mass. When I lift the hiding box off them, they go nuts and just keep on jumping and trying to get away...
    So, that's how I have my three set up.
    A couple of things:
    1) do you have hiding box or some way to make the toad feel secure? Even in the hiding box, my three will bury in the substrate.
    2) vary the diet some. From what I've read, Cane Toads are one of the few that also hunt by smell, thus they will eat the cat food.
    3) a fecal sample to the vet to rule out any parasites. Which I'm sure they have, but should be able to keep them in check.

My issue with the toads is trying to tame them so they don't hide all the time or go nuts when I remove the hide box.

So, that's my suggestion...Keep in touch and let me know how you make out.

Lloyd
    Last edited by never quit; March 28th, 2015 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Correct spelling error

Thread Information