Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meet baby huey! Enclosure pic too

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Meet baby huey! Enclosure pic too

My stepbrother found this little gem at a local expo for $25 and brought him to me. He's a funny little guy about the size of a ping pong ball now!

Heres her/his(?) 29g planted home with water feature.

The water is not too deep to fully submerge him.
    Any tips/comments appreciated!!!!
    Btw is he a samurai?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Meet baby huey! Enclosure pic too

Btw the pictures do no color justice. Hes a beautiful baby blue

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Smile Re: Meet baby huey! Enclosure pic too

I don't know much about pac-man frogs, but hopefully someone will give you the answers you need! btw cool pac-man frog!

Nationality
    [Canada]

Hi, welcome to the forums!

well you asked for tips, not sure you wanna hear what I wanna say..... Sorry... The tank is very nice, but not in any shape or form for Pacman frog.

For your baby you need medium sized criter keeper, cover 3 sides of it, put some plant to create a hide of sorts. Shallow water dish, fine coconut fiber substrate on a bottom. Humidity 70-80, temp day 80-82, night 76-78.

water has to be changed every day, substrate and complete cage cleaning once a month. You won't be able to do so in your current set up, there are bunch of rocks, husk, moss too, all of that is screaming impaction and death of frog.

Pics are not really clear on a morph, but he is very pretty. He might be peppermint it or Sam. Blue.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Well then... at a standstill here. All plants and moss in there are real and very well alive. I have an electric pump i use for all water changes and cleanings(as i also have 10 firebellies in a fully planted 40g with no ph/filth issues). The pump for the waterfall is on the opposite side of the tank so i get decent filtration.

So, some remedy work needs done. Most likely a new home from zip since baby huey will be in purgatory(poor guy) Also, i can understand some co co fiber but i don't plan on him being in a small container very long. I've read many arguments all over the place for bedding arguements. I personally do not care raw coco fiber but its a necessary evil... Its sticky, leaves a nasty residue, and molds easy. But lots of people use it. Personally I only use it in my soil mixes.

I will be furthering my homework into their natural habitat.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Question Re: Meet baby huey! Enclosure pic too

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    Hi, welcome to the forums!

well you asked for tips, not sure you wanna hear what I wanna say..... Sorry... The tank is very nice, but not in any shape or form for Pacman frog.

For your baby you need medium sized criter keeper, cover 3 sides of it, put some plant to create a hide of sorts. Shallow water dish, fine coconut fiber substrate on a bottom. Humidity 70-80, temp day 80-82, night 76-78.

water has to be changed every day, substrate and complete cage cleaning once a month. You won't be able to do so in your current set up, there are bunch of rocks, husk, moss too, all of that is screaming impaction and death of frog.

Pics are not really clear on a morph, but he is very pretty. He might be peppermint it or Sam. Blue.

I will be obtaining a critter keeper first thing a.m.
    1 what is the best way to maintain the temp on something that small? As all my tanks are fairly large...
    2 is there a..... well... "recommended size" huey should be before something more real?
    3 really do hate coco fiber(and my kids terribly allergic) can i substitute/mix perhaps a bit of my fine jungle bedding in?
    4 coulda swore i heard him chirp like a baby bird the other day...
    5 thanks for letting me know it was so wrong... hueys health comes first. Its said feeding a few minutes after lights out is good? Thoughts?
    Last edited by Krispy; March 1st, 2015 at 11:24 PM. Reason: terrible cell phone grammar

Nationality
    [Canada]

Oh good, you took it well lol

that critter keeper will be useful for you later on too, when you are cleaning tank or he needs a bath, it's a very useful thing to have.

Pacs like is small and contained, this way they feel safe and when they feel safe they are eating and growing like they should.
    Especially dangerous of not eating it is for babies, they can go down hill pretty fast. Some babies are ok in a bit bigger cages and some of us use their permanent tanks when they are babies, the problem with that that if he is not eating to fix that it will take time and you don't have time with a baby, so be better safe and put the guy in a small tank for now. You will upgrade it ina few months anyway they grow insanely fast if feed and kept properly. So make sure you take a lot of pics
    make sure you cover 3 sides of the tank with anything not see through, cling fish tanks backgrounds are excellent for that, cheap and look good.
    For an adult you will need 18x18x18 Exo or similar if you have a female, if a male, they grow smaller, and adult male would be perfectly happy in 12x12x18 tank. Im sayng 18 for a height, the reason for that is that it's easier to control climate having that height.

Now how to control it for a small cage. 2 ways, to set up a bigger one in controllers and out small one inside. The other way is to play around and see what works, some people would hang infrared lamp above and cover some of the top to maintain humidity. Some use one or 2 hermit **** type UTH attached to the side.

Your kids are allergic to coco fiber? Never heard of anybody being allergic to it, but if that's the case perhaps gardening soil ( organic without fertilizers) would work, you need to look for any particles that can be ingested. Keep in mind coco fiber is the safest substrate out there, it's pretty inert, doesnt mold, jungle mix has some husk in there. some people use aquarium filter foam (soft) and rinse it every day. I personally don't like it, I don't think its natural and frog can do what it would do in a wild, he can't burrow, he can't hide and if you are late to rinse the foam it's gonna sit in its urine.

Yes feeding after light are off is what you should be aiming, perhaps you want to wait a bit longer then a few minutest but yes, it's the time they are going to hunt in a wild and in captivity you can get the best feeding response.

and no amount of filtration can handle the amount of waste these guys produce sometimes you look at it thinking how in earth it was fItting in that frog lol that's a reason for why live plants and pacs don't really go well together and also when a 5-6" monster move it will crash everything. Some are more lazy and don't restroy everything much, but some, like my big female, they would rearrange everything in a tank.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

9. 2 members thank Lija for this post:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Thank you Lija! The health of my pets comes before the ice pack because Im bum bum hurt. While i do strive for natural as possible, well it will come with time. Well, today i picked up a 12wide 6deep 8tall critter tank. It came with a solid glass lid as well. I kind of like the lid but some airflow would probably be nice. Heat should be easy then. My uv lights will keep the little cell warm enough i think, i use uv a and b on everything from my ball python to green anoles+long tail grass lizard enclosure to my fire belly toad or red eye viv... The kid is highly allergic to aaaaaaanything coconut fml...If all else fails i can probably mesh the top and keep the critter container with my red eye leafs....For the surround... err... i have some 5% limo tint that should do.
    Last edited by Krispy; March 2nd, 2015 at 02:40 PM. Reason: poor grammar as usual

Nationality
    [Canada]

lol... I stopped editing and apologizing for my grammar long long time ago, my autocorrect hates me passionately too.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

In the process of tinting now. How deep do you recommend the bedding. Huey will be in my room for now so eco earth it is.

Also. Mesh top is ok yes? The solid glass one is a cool concept but Id rather be safe then sorry.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Yes, mesh is ok, as long as you can keep humidity in a proper range.

1-1.5" for a baby for the bedding, you don't want the guy to disappear underground completely

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Well heres huey! I'm still super duper bent that my piece of a phone won't pick the pale blues up.

Hueys new home.

Here we have it. Is this better? Any further ideas/ helpful hints?

Nationality
    [Canada]

Perfect! You just need to cover sides
    so adorable and still have a bit of his tail, have you tried to give him some food?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

The little man eats a few crickets a night. Ive been calcuim+d3(exo terra) dusting every 3rd day. So the tail stub does go away? The wifey has been curious as some of the larger ones weve seen have and some do not. So far i have got it about 79 with about 82% humidity. I cheated with the uva light bask on top of my crickets and shared the light for now lol. Meh, it worked that thing radiates the heat even though i dim it.

So far little guys been hopping about from time to time but now hes content and just relaxing under a fake leaf. Ah yes, and 3 sides are covered.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Yes, it will go away and you will have a big blob! Very pretty big blob lol

you need to get miltivitamins too and use once a week, ca/vitd3 2xweek. Have you tried tong feed? It's a great time to teach him, when he is little and don't care much. And he might want to eat more then just 3 crickets, try

18. This member thanks Lija for this post:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Thank you so much for your help man. Might of saved his life!

Nationality
    [Canada]

No problem glad to help, make sure you take lots of pics!

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I know it's early, but any updates?

Nationality
    [Canada]

Hello, what a gorgeous little pacman you have. I was wondering what the name of that plant is that you have in there. I love the big leaves.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Well,the plant is plastic cause its a wee thing. Huey loves it though. I notice him getting a little bigger every day. Pudgy snot. I am absolutely amazed by its jumping ability. I did not expect him to jump far but wow! Im trying to offer food with tongs but huey aint havin it. Its cool watching him pounce on crickets! I plan on the low wat heat mat for the tank side so i can switch to a uv light. Also noticing little bumps in a row on his eyelids. I will try for a picture later of them. Other than some bumps its skin appears shiny and smooth like my red eye leaf frogs skin. Pretty golden eyes. No nostril seeping. Its also very hard to tell when its awake or asleep Ive noticed. Sometimes he burrows down under a leaf. Sometimes he kicks it in the light or soaks a bit. So i take it huey thermoregulates well. Assembling supplies now to build huey a lifelong enclosure. Got a little time to build still i think...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information