Thread: My red eyes and their enclosure

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default My red eyes and their enclosure

Well, I've recently adopted a poor pair of red eye tree frogs from my mother. They were wouldn't move or eat. Anyways long story short, after a few weeks she finally believed me. They are smart and they were kept with an emerald tree python... Now... Lol I sure wouldn't move if the next step of the food chain was there either... Needless to say they rock. This enclosure took forever to make and yes its planted.

Feel free to ask questions, or offer advice!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: My red eyes and their enclosure

Frogs in with a boa?? Wow... yep, I wouldn't be moving either!

These guys look like they are doing great now My only concern would be with the bark chips and having loose feeders... with White's tree frogs that is a recipe for ingestion/impaction disaster, but I don't know if RETFs operate the same way.

How did you make that set up? Is it in a wall...??
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Poor babies! That must have been so stressful for them! I am glad you have them in their own home now. I like seeing their full bellies. If you bowl feed, the bark won't be as much of an issue for digestion, but it could still scratch up their sensitive skin.

Check out our RETF care sheet, it's pretty good - Frog Forum - Red-Eyed Leaf Frog/Red Eyed Tree Frog Care - Agalychnis callidryas
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Poor guys! They must be so happy to be in a safe environment now. Good on you getting them out of that snake tank!

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Lol well... thank you for the bedding advice. I noticed the bark risk as well and will be growing moss and placing dried leaf litter in its place. They were already used to it from my mum. Sometimes they wait and catch crickets, sometimes they hunt... stinkers....

As for the box... no it is not in a wall. They are shelves from a gigantic entertainment stand i am building into a massive enclosure. All exposed wood was flex sealed(and baked after curing: tip) then partial assembly took place. Another coat of flex seal(because i dont trust wood). Then a very thin layer of silicone over everything because of my moisture needs... more curing...(most time consuming). Followed by a trip to lowes. The acrylic for the door was $10 and they cut it for free. You also get to keep the leftovers. Decorative hinges and latches for small projects in the hardware area. The knobs are actually dragonfly coat hooks lol.
    I must admit in all the time it took to prep/grow this thing ive had no moisture issues. Its mounted to an old mahogany telephone stand my wife had laying around for a few years.

Now. Ive noticed one is lighter/neon green with pretty sky blue sides and vertical creamy stripes. The other, while more pudgy is slightly darker(while still bright) green. This one has way darker blue on its sides and they are more splotch shaped than perfectly vertical. Any ideas?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Fascinating! I bet you'd love the vivarium section of FrogForum if you haven't visited that yet Your lighter frog might possibly be a color morph... (RETF peeps?)
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Thank you very much! I've always done my own backgrounds and whatnot. But monsterfishkeepers.com is where i picked up a massive well of knowledge on tank/enclosure construction. As well i see many references to the dendroboard for plants. I do alot of reading there as well. Theres an endless variety of knowledge amongst various communities.

The froggies seem to gain weight daily and are growing. I have also noticed the darker ones skin color lighten up as they settle in and relax. I also gut load my crickets to the brink with flukers food water gel and orange cubes(mainly fbt thing for optimal belly color) so this may also be effecting overall status maybe?

Any tips/tricks are appreciated.
    Btw i have a printout of the care guide lol

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default an update

Felt a little picture savy this morning. So far, I've been waiting on my moss to arive. Being that with 6 inches of snow i cant go pickin through the woods. Weve also got some magnolia leaves as well. I keep my day temp 78-82 night temps 68-74ish. Always between 65-85% humidity. For a few days due to their stress we fed them daily. Now were going to do every other day. One of them seems to change shades of green according to his temp/darkness of where hes laying? Its quite odd i think. Ive dug and found 1or2 people mention it other places too. Also something about is a northern(the color changer) due to his white spots like dumpys get as they age... the other... well... It says im here. Im neon. Rock on lol... Until the bedding top coat is modified we keep a good eye on feeding time...

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: an update

Great pictures!

They do change colors from night to day. During the day, they are usually a light green, and depending where in the vivarium they are, they can turn almost white or have a blueish hue under the lighting. At night, they turn a deep dark green to camouflage themselves. Mine have actually turned different colors depending on what plants they are sleeping on also. I'd bump up your night temps a little bit. 68 is getting a bit too chilly for them. I do feed my reds daily, as they tend not to overeat on their own, but you could definitely do every other day.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Pardon my frequent posts but they are so cool and the more knowledge the better!

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Talking Re: My red eyes and their enclosure

They are sooo cute! Are they male and female, male and male, or female and female?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

We are currently trying to figure that out. So far the larger one has a fairly narrow large body and a longer pointed mouth. The darker one is pudgier, the rear legs are notably shorter, and its mouth is more rounded than pointed. We are praying for one male one female! We have looked at all kinds of sexing techniques. Leads my to believe my larger(male i think and brighter) is older than the smaller (darker)female due to the size difference. Any advice peoples?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Honestly, the best thing to do is just wait and see. By shape I thought for sure my Fortuna was a female when he was a juvenile, definitely male! He also called much later than his brother. One started calling at about 1 3/4 inches, the other didnt start calling until he was over 2 inches. So that's really the best approach.

15. This member thanks LilyPad for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

Frogs with a boa? Just just a boa, but with emerald tree boa! Wow...

Pretty kids!
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Krispy View Post
    Pardon my frequent posts but they are so cool and the more knowledge the better!

Need to enter this one in the Photo of The Month Contest!
    Mom to these fine frogs!

18. This member thanks irThumper for this post:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

For as active as these guys are. Especially about 4-8am I can do better lol

Thread Information