Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tank humidity help

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Tank humidity help

I re-read the original post... if your substrate is super dry then I'd say high humidity is definitely not the issue.
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

josh

Quote Originally Posted by irThumper View Post
    I re-read the original post... if your substrate is super dry then I'd say high humidity is definitely not the issue.
    Ok, ill keep an eye on it though. Thanks for your help. let me know of any other questions!

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

What's the size difference between the whites and the other frogs? Since whites get much bigger than your other species (and they do eat smaller frogs), I would worry that your other frogs will eventually become a meal if they're housed together.

When end you say you can get rid of the leopard frogs, do you mean rehome them or release them? Even though the frogs are originally wild caught it isn't a good practice to release them after keeping them in captivity. They could have been exposed to pathogens or parasites while they were with your other frogs that they will then introduce to the native frog population if released.

5. This member thanks Crispy42 for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Dear Paul,
    I really appreciate all the feedback form you. I would like to adress each issue I am presented with.
    1. I got the idea of the glass top from my reptile shop. They also keep their tree frogs in cages like mine with a glass top and screen back. They said that this is ok as long as you have an ecosystem in their. For example they said that the plants will produce oxygen for the tree frogs and take in the carbon dioxide.

2. In the morning there is condensation on the glass. But that goes away after a while. There is still a pocibility of water inside the hydromometer. Or it may be broken.

3. I believe that the wood is more of a driftwood but I will check And remove if necessary.

4. My substrate is gardening/potting soil. Then there is an inch of coco fiber. The roots are in the soil. If that doesn't support plants I don't know what will ��

5.They have about 20 inches of climbing space. Not much I can do about that. Mine like to. Stay on the leafs most of the time. I wish they had a few more inches but this is a 1500$ tank. Not changing.

6. I know that mixing species may not be the best idea but I have had these guys for over 5 years. All have been reported healthy. But know of anything were to go downhill I would change them to separate cages.

7. This cage has a Big long led light that goes all across the length of the cage. The cage is also close to a window. My plants have thrived In my previous cage so I'm not to worried about that.

I appreciate everything that you said and am not disagreeing with anything you said. I'm just saying where I come from. Thanks����
    Excellent.

Only thing I disagree with from your answers is the advice from the reptile store. Very rarely do pet stores keep their pets in proper conditions unfortunately. Though if they have been in the tank like that for 5 years it doesn't seem to be hurting them any.

If you remove your Hydrometer probe and let it dry out it might return to normal operation.

Do you have leaf liter? Adding a thing layer will help with humidity some.

Hope that wood isn't grapevine. It looks great in the tank.
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Blue Jeans' (2014 Nicaragua Import)
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Chirique Grande' F1
    1.1.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Citronella'
    1.2.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Azureus'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'Sipaliwini'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'New River'
    0.0.4 - D. Tinctorius 'Leucomelas'
    0.0.4 - Terribilis 'Mint'
    1.1.0 - R. Ventrimaculatus 'French Guiana'

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/hashtagfrogs
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgC...sEZiZQoT8sOuuw

Nationality
    [Canada]

I opened a thread a few times, didnt respond.... Now I opened again.... Usually I yell a lot... Im mean lol especially when we talk about what you did here, mixing species, mixing WC and CB.. But im not in yelling mode today...

The thing is im pretty sure you won't want to do anything that would involve moving, changing things drastically. And I kinda understand, you spend a lot of $ on it and it looks good....

A few things I'll just say before im out of here.
    -too high humidity, not enough ventilation = respiratory problems
    -wc+cb even after long term qt is a bad bad idea, without qt it's a nightmare = parasites, possibly rana, chytrid, much more, all WC frogs have a very heavy load of parasites, so your whites have bunch of those by now too.
    -the wood does look like grapevine...
    - im yet to see a pet store where people are actually know what they are doing
    - with my limited experience with planted vivariums... I was told that using just soil is bad on a long run, you need ABG mix type soil, bill or paul can tell you more about it.

realistically there is a way of fixing things here in the existing tank, separating both species, treating both species, completely disinfecting tank, not sure how to increase ventilliation though. Alternatively you can test them first and treat later.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

8. This member thanks Lija for this post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information