Thread: New Addition! :D

Hydroxide

Talking New Addition! :D

I'm so stoked. I went to our local pet store and spotted this beast of a frog. She's a massive girl, hearty and healthy. She was bright looking and really didn't like being messed with. Temperement-wise, she's not nippy or fussy. Just opted to try and get away. Lol. She's *huge*.

Which put my suspicion of the pacman I rescued of being a male at rest. He's almost *definitely* a male. At 2-3 inches smaller than she is, I wouldn't doubt in a heart-beat that this new gal of mine is female and Miss(who is my already owned pacman) is a male. Lol. Go figure. :P Unfortunately, old habits die hard and I won't be changing 'his' name.

Anyhow. I opted to call this new girl Boo. She's such a freaking beast.

She and Miss have settled in nicely together as a pair. Miss even crossed the tank to go set himself a little dug-out right next to her. Boo was looking kinda thin so I threw in a feeder mouse, just to see how she reacted to larger, live prey and she tanked it down like it was nothing so I'm guessing they hadn't been feeding her appropriately, OR, she was quick to settle in. Either way, chilling now. Next we'll see what she thinks of nightcrawlers, since our pet store just had her on crickets.

She's got a few scars around her shoulders. They look like burns and I'm not sure how recent they are but they don't seem to bother her. She also has a faint clouding area in her left eye way above the pupil and I'm wondering if whoever owned her prior kept a lamp too close or kept her too warm or something.

Poor gal. So either way, I'm glad she's settling in to her new home wonderfully. She cost me a whopping $60 dollars(where as babies they only cost 30), but I'm not gonna complain. Least she's now with me. Haha. And who knows. If things play out right and I can get the right simulation, I might be able to breed the pair. :P That's not an immediate goal but. Ya never know. Lol.

Enough of my blubbering though. I'll get pictures up soon. Just figured I'd share with fellow frog enthusiasts. Lol. I'm too excited.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Hydroxide

Default Re: New Addition! :D

Haha. sorry about the extremely poor quality. It wasn't my camera. I can't seem to find *my* camera charger, go figure. So had to order a new one from Hong Kong.

Will be in, in about 2 weeks I think they said.

Anyhow. I said I'd post pics. :P So. At least here's one. Obviously Boo is the tank mistress. Lol. And Miss is the fellow tucked beside her. Like I said. B'aw. They're cuddling. Lol.

I swear. He crossed the tank just to say hai. Rofl.

Anyhow. Here ya go guys. Tell me whatcha think?

Oh. And they're both a different type of pacman. Miss has the more rounded/lesser 'horns', where as Boo has the more obvious. I love the different between the two but. I have to tell ya, Boo has a pretty face. Lol.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Nice. Some guy in youtube named his african bullfrog(Giant), Boo. Guy feeds his frogs mice, the frog isnt dead yet. Im surprised.

Kurt

You know pac-mans are canibals and should not be housed together, right?

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Very nice frogs.

Nationality
    [Ireland]

FYI, it seems a bunch of wild caught adult Pacman frogs came in recently (I've seen vendors selling them), so this new addition of yours likely has parasites that could be passed on to your C/B Pacman. Might want to separate them and get a fecal exam done on the new one.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Musicpanda

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    I thought the exact same thing, it would be more "secure" if they were the same size.
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    FYI, it seems a bunch of wild caught adult Pacman frogs came in recently (I've seen vendors selling them), so this new addition of yours likely has parasites that could be passed on to your C/B Pacman. Might want to separate them and get a fecal exam done on the new one.
    They capture and sell wild ones? Isn't that illegal where you live? In Sweden all frogs and amphibians are protected by law, In my ignorance I thought all civilised country's had the same policy. Poor frogs. Shouldn't Hyde's Pacman be very used to eat other frogs then? That would have made me worried.

Hydroxide

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    The male's girth is too wide for the larger gal's mouth. I didn't think I had to be too concerned about any canniablism happening.She could try, that would probably end up in her choking and dieing versus me being out an eaten frog.

I've talked to a few breeders(not local but ones I've found during my research before getting my original frog) and one in particular who have told me that they *can* be housed together if there is no chance one or the other can fit inside eachother's mouths.

She also told me that if kept well-fed. There shouldn't even be any minor disputes. And with her being a breeder, I figured she was correct. :/

According to you lot, though, you figure he's too small for her?

They hadn't moved since last night. Both of them are still fine. But if ya'll think they should be seperated, I'll take your advice and do some rearranging. ^__^ It is why I signed up on here after all.

Hydroxide

I couldn't picture this animal in particular having the scarring that she does if she was just 'recently' captured. I also would assume there'd be a lot more aggression and a want to escape, versus her calm but easily flustered demeanor.

:/ But I'll definitely keep my eyes open. I wasn't planning on picking up anymore pacmans. Just this gal. But may have to warn the stores around here.

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Quote Originally Posted by Musicpanda View Post
    They capture and sell wild ones? Isn't that illegal where you live? In Sweden all frogs and amphibians are protected by law, In my ignorance I thought all civilised country's had the same policy. Poor frogs. Shouldn't Hyde's Pacman be very used to eat other frogs then? That would have made me worried.
    If the frogs are legally imported into the US, then there is no issue. I'm pretty sure the same is the case in Sweden - it is your native amphibians that are protected.

Quote Originally Posted by Hydroxide View Post
    I couldn't picture this animal in particular having the scarring that she does if she was just 'recently' captured. I also would assume there'd be a lot more aggression and a want to escape, versus her calm but easily flustered demeanor.
    I've never heard of any place raising large numbers of pacman frogs to near adult or adult size and selling them. This is usually a tell-tale sign of wild collection.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by Musicpanda View Post
    It's complicated to explain as laws change from state to state and even some cities have certain ordinances about keeping certain animals. Most states do not allow the commercial sale of species native to that state. In one state, something may be legal to keep, while just over the border into the next state it's illegal. An example, the black ratsnale, Patherophis obsoleta obsoleta are legal to possess in New Hampshire. Here in Massachusetts they are illegal to possess without a permit, unless they are a captive bred morph, such as a white-sided or an albino. Black ratsnakes are native here, but not in NH. So there you don't need permits, regardless of morph or origin. Since the state protects snake we can't have a "black" black ratsnake without permits, because you really can't tell a CB one from a WC one.

Laws against keeping certain animal come down to three reasons. One, public safety. If the animal escapes, does it pose a risk to public? Two, enviromental protection. If the animal escapes can it establish itself and wreak havoc on the ecosystem? Three, protection of the species in question. Does the commerical sale or keeping of, threaten wild populations of the species in question?

In Massachusetts I cannot keep venomous snakes, because of reason one. Because of reason two, I cannot keep channel catfish because the state believes if released they could establish themselves. The eastern spadefoot toad, Scaphiopus holbrooki holbrooki is a declining species here in Massachusetts, so I cannot keep it, even if I got them out of state. Reason three.

So does that explain it?

Hydroxide

Quote Originally Posted by Hydroxide View Post
    I've never heard of any place raising large numbers of pacman frogs to near adult or adult size and selling them. This is usually a tell-tale sign of wild collection.
    Oh! Our petstore allowed bring-ins. If I were to, let's say(not like it will happen), not be able to care for any of current pets. Including the rats, amphibians, fish, etc. They take the animals and give you a store credit for them. They said the frog had been with them for about a week prior to me going and picking her up.

It's not safe, but anyone can practically bring in a frog and say they don't want it. At the same time, this store sells juvenile pacmans frequently. Both of the fantasy and horned variety, so it easily could have been the case that they just didn't sell one of their animals.

Which, it wasn't. This was a 'bring in'.

Musicpanda

If the frogs are legally imported into the US, then there is no issue. I'm pretty sure the same is the case in Sweden - it is your native amphibians that are protected.

Don't you have breeders in US? That's the only legal way you can get a Pacman from in Sweden, a breeder or a pet store that bought from a breeder. To me this sounds as weird as if my neigbour would have bought a mountain wolf from a hunter instead of a regular dog that's been used from generation to generation and only knows about humans and not the "wild life".

Kurt

Wild caught frogs and captive bred one pretty much behave the same way. All because they are captive bred doesn't make them a domestic animal.

braaandooon

this thread has been dormant for a little while, but looking at the pics your frog on the left is definitely cranwelli, and your most recent frog has alot of cornuta markings and characteristics which leads me to believe that shes most likely a fantasy frog, i could be wrong as i am no expert, but i keep cranwelli, cranwelli x cornuta, and briefly kept cornuta(traded for hardier fantasy frog) just figured i'd bring this to your attention unless i missed something in the prior posts

Thread Information