Thread: Rescue story / before & after pictures.

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Rescue story / before & after pictures.

Here's my success stories with my two rescues I found near death.

First I'll explain the story of Lumpy (aka little man) who I found first: I worked graveyard as a security guard for a factory out in the middle of nowhere. After our long hot summer (for the PNW) the rain came and PCFs were everywhere, bathing in the cool rain at night. I scooped up and relocated dozens and dozens of PCFs along with a few Northern Red legged frogs. Unfortunately that meant a few casualties and injuries as well (many of the employees drove in and out on breaks) I was doing one of my rounds when I saw Lumpy, who I at first thought was dead attempting to hop and ending up on his back, or struggling to move. I got a closer look and saw the huge lump on his back(hence the name) and ran to the kitchen area to grab a cup to scooped him up and attempted to help him. I realized he was severely malnourished and had some sort of infection resulting in that large lump on his back. I took him home and immediately started putting original (with no pain killer) Neosporin on his back and back end since it looked like he had issues with that as well (like someone may have partially ran over him, or an animal may have tagged him) I took him home, and he was barely able to walk, and completely unable to hop as well as very malnourished as I said before. After about a week of applying neosporin and offering him food every day, the bump started going away and he started eating. Then about a month of this routine he started hopping. Then, after he was mostly healed and started gaining weight... he started croaking!!! Before this, I didn't know if he was actually a male, so it was wonderful to hear him sing after all of our hard work on getting him better!

The next rescue, Big Momma, I also thought was dead when I found her while doing my patrol. She wasn't even attempting to hop (as Lumpy had) she was slowly crawling with a huge gash on her side and what looked like unfertilized eggs spilling out of the wound (sorry to be so graphic, but it was terrifying!) I honestly thought I was taking her home to euthanize her. That's how bad it was. I figured I'd give her a day with some TLC and Neosporin to see how she felt. When I first put her in the hospital tank, she was a pale green color, with what looked like some scratches on her back. Well, I checked in on her the next day and I saw she had the most beautiful markings, but she was still a pale green color. Her eggs started drying to her side, so every day I would soak her and attempt to get some of her eggs off of her. Finally, I was able to get all of her eggs off and apply the Neosporin directly on her wound. I swear that stuff is magic for frogs. She started eating fruit flies, then crickets, then she started hopping!

Her and Lumpy looked lonely (I know they're frogs and not people, don't judge me) so I put them together, since they came from the same area and I found out Lumpy's lump was not contagious. I was still very wary and watched them because of the size difference, even though I haven't had any issues before. They instantly bonded. They continued healing together, until Lumpy put on a couple of pounds (so to speak) , and Big Momma's wound closed. Finally, they were ready to transition into the community tank with the other four PCFs.

Their transition was absolutely flawless, and they love their new brother and sisters. They still mostly hang out together and sleep together, but Lumpy also has been hanging out with and singing with/to his big brother (who we call Big Man/Daddy and is ironically brown with beautiful markings like Big Momma while all others are bright green including Lumpy)

Thank you all for reading our story! Here's some before/after pictures

Attachment 78143Attachment 78144 after 1 week Attachment 78145Attachment 78146 *Now* Attachment 78147Attachment 78148Attachment 78149

Attachment 78150Attachment 78151 *Now* Attachment 78152

2. This member thanks Jessalyn for this post:

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

taniaaust1

Default Re: Rescue story / before & after pictures.

What an amazing story thanks for sharing it.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Rescue story / before & after pictures.

Great rescue story! ^_^ Something's wrong with your attachments though, none of them show up...?
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

Thread Information