Thread: Pacman Newbie

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Pacman Newbie

I am new to terrestrial frogs, I was planning on beginning with a Whites Tree Frog but where I live I have found them hard to get hold of, (especially when my local pet shops only sell aquatic frogs ) anyway I have decided to get a Horned frog because I have heard they are a good frog for beginners too.
    I have read a number of care sheets but I was wondering if I could get any advise from people who have had experience with these frogs, especially with heat matts, how often to feed, cleaning, things like this because I am new to them.
    I should also mention the frogs I am planning on getting are an Albino Argentinian Horned Frog (baby 4-7cm) or a Fantasy Horned Frog (baby 4-5cm) as listed on the website.

Thankyou for your help.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Cebby75

Default Re: Pacman Newbie

Hello, I got a couple things that could help ya.

Firstly with the habitat, I would recommend a loose and fine substrate that would allow the frog to burrow with ease, because these frogs spend a good part of their day hidden in their bedding for a majority of the time. I would say either to get the EcoEarth brick, which works great and is what I am using now and it hold humidity great and stays nice and damp for them. Another safe alternative would be an organic potting soil. Make sure you provide a good 2 inches of substrate down. (Depending on your frogs size) To ensure his can obtain his closure by hiding away while he adjusts.

When using the heating mat place it on one side of the tank, and place a towel between the mat and the tank as to prevent burning the frog if he burrows to deep and meets the glass.

As far as feeding goes, all pacmans are different. Some are more aggressive feeders, and as soon as you place a moving object in front of their mouth they will lunge for it. Others require peace and privacy. Mine at first never liked an audience with dinner, however when I would wake up the next morning his crickets would be gone. I would start, if he's a juvenile, by putting 2 crickets in his habitat the first night, some frogs are more receptive and need less adjusting time and will go right for the food. Others, might take a couple days to get used to their new environment before feeling comfortable enough to hunt. Now what to feed him is preference, however avoid fatty-junk foods as much as possible (i.e. pinky mice). See what his current provider has been supplying him with food. Gutloaded crickets are a great food source for juveniles and a weekly calcium dusting on those also is needed. Get a feel for your frogs appetite, when they are hungry you will notice they will be on the surface, revealing themselves and ready to eat.

As far as cleaning goes, every 7-10 days is suitable. Make sure when providing and type of water for your frog, water dish, misting, all that, you do not use tap water unless you have purified it with a de-chlorinating solution. Spring water works great, I would recommend just using that.

Well I hope this helps you and good-luck with you're new arrival!

- Phil

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Quote Originally Posted by Cebby75 View Post
    When using the heating mat place it on one side of the tank, and place a towel between the mat and the tank as to prevent burning the frog if he burrows to deep and meets the glass.
    You could conceivably start a fire that way, depending on how thick the towel is. I would definitely not advise doing so.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Thankyou thats helped quite a lot. I have coco husk from when I was getting ready for a tree frog, would this be suitable or should I get one of the soils you mentioned?

and thankyou for the advise John

Cebby75

Well then, it's good that I don't use a heating mat

One more thing I'd avoid using terrarium moss because that seems to be the main culprit for pacman impaction.

Cebby75

Personally I would get something more fine. I've used the coconut husk in the past and my frog did not dig it, pun intended.

They tend to have more difficulty burrowing and situating themselves because the husk tends to be more stringy and could also cause your frog to have impaction if ingested.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

I heard that moss wasn'y recommended. Thankyou, when I get the stuff for it I shall look for something else . I'm really excited.

Cebby75

Not a problem!
    Best of luck to you and you're new arrival!
    Hope all goes well!

Thread Information