Thread: PICS, habitat and my new pacman

Joealf18

Question i know you heard this before....

I am a new frog owner and I just purchased my pacman today (he or she is about 2-4 months) the tank is 60 70%humidity and stays at 75-80 degrees Fahrenheit. I put him in the tank today and he went right to the hollow log n dug himself in the substrate (coco fibers). I have a 100w red heat lamp that is on 24/7 its hangs 1-2 feet above the tank. I also have a heating pad (8w) ON THE SIDE of the tank. Its winter were I am so my room drops to 58-60 degrees. I also have 13w uvb bulb on during the day light hours

I was wondering if this set up is approved by people who have done this before? How long should it take for he/she to wanna eat?
    Should he/she have moved yet? (He/she turned a couple times) also being this small of a pacman frog what Is a good food to start with?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: i know you heard this before....

Hi and welcome to the forum!

60-70 humidity is too low, you need to have it at 70-80

temp 75 is a bit too low too.
    Uvb- is yours albino or not? how strong 2-5-10? It is not needed, unless for treatment and never for albino.

Would you you please answer all the questions below, so we can check it out if all good and pics! Please! We love pics! And also can check it out.

“Trouble in the Frog Enclosure”
    The following information will be very helpful if provided when requesting assistance with either your frog or enclosure. To help with your questions, please utilize the below list and post the information in the proper forum area to get advice from FF members that keep the same frog. This will allow for little confusion and a faster more informed response.

1. Size of enclosure
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences
    3. Humidity
    4. Temperature
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish
    6. Materials used for substrate
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials.
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.
    8. Main food source
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often)
    10. Lighting
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure
    12. When is the last time he/she ate
    13. Have you found poop lately
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    15. Describe frog's symptoms and/or recent physical changes; to include it's ventral/belly area.
    16. How old is the frog
    17. How long have you owned him/her
    18. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred
    19. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats
    20. How often the frog is handled
    21. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area
    22. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc)

by Lynn(Flybyferns) and GrifTheGreat.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [Canada]

Hello, congrats on the new frog. Mounting the heat matt to side was correct, you don't want to put them on the bottom. The 100 watt bulb is pretty high but if it is hanging like 2 feet over the enclosure that should be ok. Uvb is not necessary but don't think it can hurt either, unless its albino then you don't want uvb for sure. You temps should be more in the mid 80's during the day and let drop a few degrees at night, lets say down to 79 to 78f. 83f would be a perfect daytime temp. The humidity should be about 80%, and if you have a hard time keeping up you can cover 2/3 of the top with saran wrap or foil and that will help. The cocofibre is perfect for substrate. For feeding at 4 months you could cut up a nightcrawler into lets say 1inch to a inch half and feed him that with tongs. This is probably the best staple diet for them, and you can throw in gut loaded crickets every once and while to change it up. And you can give hornworms and waxworms but use these as treat every couple weeks or so because they are very high in fat, they are like donuts to them. You want to dust his food with calcium and d3 in it every second feeding and give him a multivitamin once a week. If he doesn't eat for a couple days don't stress he is probably just adjusting to his new home.

Nationality
    [Canada]

I must have been typing when Lija answered your question so sorry for repeating some stuff. Someone can type a lot faster then me forsure. L.O.L But ya if you answer those questions if you don't have something else correct someone will be able to lead you in the right direction and it will save you head aches and stress down the road.

Joealf18

1. 10 gallon tank
    2. Alone
    3.60-70%
    4. 70-80 degrees Fahrenheit
    5. Purified water (use the cleaning drops just incase) both dish water and misting
    6. Coco fibers
    7. Artificial plants, hollow log, shallow water bowl
    8. I just got him/her is little.
    9. My pet store pre dust all size crickets
    10. 100w RED heat lamp on 24/7. 1-2 feet above tank also 5.0 uvb bulb during day
    11. 8w heat pad on the side and 100w red heat lmap
    12. Today at the pet store (I was told) I haven't seen he/ she eat yet
    13. No poop yet
    15. Hasn't moved that much yet
    16. 2-4 months tops
    17. Purchased today
    18. Captive
    19. No clue yet about treats. I can get my hands on any critters for food tho...
    20. Not by me yet
    21. Low
    22. I just got it. Water changed and purified everyday and plan on cleaning every month. (Spot cleaning everyday of course)

I can post pic of him/her also pic of tank tomorrow I am at work right now.

Last question what brand and type of temp and humidity gauge should I buy? ( one I have now is not acceptable)

Joealf18

Also no its not albino. Very bright green skin brown spots

Joealf18

Default PICS, habitat and my new pacman

I have 8w heater on the Side of tank it is on 24/7
    5.0 13w UVB bulb on 10-12 hours a day
    100w red heat bulb that is on 24/7 its raised 14 1/2 inches above tank
    I put him in water bowl were he sat for about 10 min. He Left the bowl n pooped and i fed him 4 very small cickets (dusted with calcium) I didnt even hold the food In front of his face. I just pushed criket in his direction and he gobbled it right up!

Questions?
    How old do u think my pacman is?
    does he seem healthy?
    Also any pointers or tips from veteran pacman owners are appreciated!
    I also just got him yesterday!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: PICS, habitat and my new pacman

Answers:
    -just a baby, my guess anywhere from just recently out the water to no more then a month or two.
    -he looks very healthy and the fact that he ate no problem even being in a tank that is too big, shows that. And no, if he is eating, no need for a smaller tank.

now for pointers.
    -cover 3 sides of your tank with Smth not see through, it will help him feel more safe and you will like the look of the tank better cling fish tank backgrounds work excellent for that.
    - raise humidity to 70-80, it would help if you completely cover the screen top and cut the hole for the lamp + a bit around i, perhaps also look into getting a fogger ( or making one).
    - temps, you gotta keep it in a proper range, keeping in low temps long term will cause lots of health problems that you don't want to deal with. Keep 76-78f night, 80-82 day.

the chances are you gauge is not correct, analog ones are very well known for showing whatever they feel like lol get digital, not nesseserily reptile specific, in fact regular home digital ones are cheap and more accurate, I believe walmarts sell temp/hydrometer combo for 7-9$. I suggest before adjusting temps/humidity you figure out if your reading are good.

- 100w infrared lamp seems very excessive, especially having a heat mat ( well it probably don't do anything anyway) and 10g tank. So once again I suggest you check the readings.

- the best way of dealing with temps and humidity issues is to get hydroterm by zoomed(50$amazon), you plug your heating things in as well as fogger and live worry free ever since

- you need to get ca/vitd3. powder and separate multivitamin powder, dust crickets 2xweek, multivitamins once a week, but not on a same day. Whatever pet store says in regards that sell a,ready dusted crixs, etc that's bs, you don't know what exactly did they use and by the time you feed your guy all or almost all powder is gone anyway.

- while the guy is little and obviuosly eating, try to tong feed, you will avoid lots of problems down the road. The best staple is nighcrawlers, for him you need to cut it to small pieces ( about the distance between his eyes). These worms you can get anywhere where they sell fishing supplies, just make sure they are not dyed.

- water.... The best is to use tap or spring water and use these drops that you have, water conditioner. Purified is lacking minerals that the guy need.

The biggest pointer is take lots of pictures! They grow very fast, in 4-5 months you will have almost adult sized frog enjoy, very very pretty frog!
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

plasticfaye

OMG they grow so fast! Like Lija said, take lots and lots of pics every week. =D

Joealf18

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    Answers:
    -just a baby, my guess anywhere from just recently out the water to no more then a month or two.
    -he looks very healthy and the fact that he ate no problem even being in a tank that is too big, shows that. And no, if he is eating, no need for a smaller tank.

now for pointers.
    -cover 3 sides of your tank with Smth not see through, it will help him feel more safe and you will like the look of the tank better cling fish tank backgrounds work excellent for that.
    - raise humidity to 70-80, it would help if you completely cover the screen top and cut the hole for the lamp + a bit around i, perhaps also look into getting a fogger ( or making one).
    - temps, you gotta keep it in a proper range, keeping in low temps long term will cause lots of health problems that you don't want to deal with. Keep 76-78f night, 80-82 day.

the chances are you gauge is not correct, analog ones are very well known for showing whatever they feel like lol get digital, not nesseserily reptile specific, in fact regular home digital ones are cheap and more accurate, I believe walmarts sell temp/hydrometer combo for 7-9$. I suggest before adjusting temps/humidity you figure out if your reading are good.

- 100w infrared lamp seems very excessive, especially having a heat mat ( well it probably don't do anything anyway) and 10g tank. So once again I suggest you check the readings.

- the best way of dealing with temps and humidity issues is to get hydroterm by zoomed(50$amazon), you plug your heating things in as well as fogger and live worry free ever since

- you need to get ca/vitd3. powder and separate multivitamin powder, dust crickets 2xweek, multivitamins once a week, but not on a same day. Whatever pet store says in regards that sell a,ready dusted crixs, etc that's bs, you don't know what exactly did they use and by the time you feed your guy all or almost all powder is gone anyway.

- while the guy is little and obviuosly eating, try to tong feed, you will avoid lots of problems down the road. The best staple is nighcrawlers, for him you need to cut it to small pieces ( about the distance between his eyes). These worms you can get anywhere where they sell fishing supplies, just make sure they are not dyed.

- water.... The best is to use tap or spring water and use these drops that you have, water conditioner. Purified is lacking minerals that the guy need.

The biggest pointer is take lots of pictures! They grow very fast, in 4-5 months you will have almost adult sized frog enjoy, very very pretty frog!

Thank you so much for the tips. I cut the foil opening only for the lamps like you said. I also went and bought a digital temp/humidity gauge. The humidity is perfect stays right around 85-90 humidity all times. My problem now is the temps in the cage are hovering around 73-76 degrees. That is with 100w heat lamp and 8w heat pad (that is on 24/7) What else could I do to raise temps to were they at supposed to be?

Also, what does It mean if my pacman is completely submerged in the substrate? (Completely over his head) this is after he ate n pooped today.

I love all the help thanks. I just want the best for my lil pacman!

Nationality
    [Canada]

It means he wants to be left alone to digest.
    you are welcome.
    Humidity 85-90 is too much sorry lol

lower the lamp, it should help.

Thread Information