Thread: Humps on female ACF

packer43064

Default Humps on female ACF

I've had this female frog for over 10 years now. I just want to make sure it doesn't have bloat or anything. She has these two humps on her back. I guess you could say it has been there for awhile. The smaller female who is a couple of years old (5 years tops if I had to guess) only gets these humps when she eats alot. I feed them once a week or so at the most. They always seem fat, so I just don't see the need to feed them until they explode like I have seen other ACF's on the net.

My questions are is the older and larger female okay?

How often do you feed adult ACF's? I don't feel the need to feed them everyday and have them be morbidly obese. Once a week or so and they still seem plenty plump after a good feeding. Never skinny.

Another question. Has there been any studies on females not laying eggs and it affecting them? In a negative way. I just wonder if not laying eggs can affect them considering they normally spawn (or at least can spawn 4x a year) in the wild?

Some pics of the larger female in question are the first two then the smaller are the last two pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Humps on female ACF

My females all look the same way, those humps are really just where they store fat around their kidneys. They hold a lot more weight on them than males do, so this is normal IMO.

As far as feeding, I feed mine twice a week in the warmer months and once a week in the colder months. I usually feed my frogs 1-2 nightcrawlers per week.

packer43064

Quote Originally Posted by mpmistr View Post
    My females all look the same way, those humps are really just where they store fat around their kidneys. They hold a lot more weight on them than males do, so this is normal IMO.

As far as feeding, I feed mine twice a week in the warmer months and once a week in the colder months. I usually feed my frogs 1-2 nightcrawlers per week.
    Thanks. That makes perfect sense actually. The larger female was always better at eating and finding food so she always had these lumps. While the smaller only recently started to figure it all out thus why she has started to get these lumps/humps too. Pretty much they are just getting fat/storing it.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
    Thanks. That makes perfect sense actually. The larger female was always better at eating and finding food so she always had these lumps. While the smaller only recently started to figure it all out thus why she has started to get these lumps/humps too. Pretty much they are just getting fat/storing it.
    Xenopus are pretty amazing creatures when it comes to retaining body fat and surviving starvation. I've seen a lot of stories where these frogs will be abandoned or neglected and still survive for a very long time.

Of course a well fed frog is a much happier and long lived frog but these guys are designed to endure pretty harsh conditions. This of course makes them great pets because when well cared for, they tend to live a long time and do not seem to develop many health issues in my experience.

Nationality
    [United States]

Your frog looks great and healthy. Those humps mean she is nice and plump.

packer43064

Thanks for the answers. Glad they are fine. I figured it wasn't bloat or anything, but decided to ask.

Thread Information