Thread: Shipping a frog in winter... Safe?

Default Shipping a frog in winter... Safe?

has anyone ever had a frog shipped to them during the winter?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Yes. Depending on who is doing the shipping, it is perfectly safe.

Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world ~ Nelson Mandela
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Default Re: Shipping a frog in winter... Safe?

It really depends on shipping methods, packaging, and how low the temps are.

I once got a shipment of pumilios (around 16 years ago) in the middle of January in Colorado, during very frigid weather. Big mistake, as the frogs arrived practically frozen. I was able to bring them around, but it was not a pleasant experience.

I've been looking at some sites recently, and many of them don't have a live arrival guarantee if you ship below 40 degrees.
    0.0.6 Hyla versicolor
    7.0.0 Dendropsophus leucophyllatus
    2.0.0 Homo sapiens sapiens (K & C, the *other* froglets)

"Cleansed in the finest quality spring water, lightly killed, and then sealed in a succulent Swiss quintuple smooth treble cream milk chocolate envelope, and lovingly frosted with glucose."

Quote Originally Posted by deranged chipmunk View Post
    Yes. Depending on who is doing the shipping, it is perfectly safe.

Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world ~ Nelson Mandela
    I was thiniing to go through backwaterreptiles. They have only had 1.4% DOAs. It seems like it may be ok. But i wanted to hear of other peoples experiences. Thanks for your response!

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy Frog View Post
    It really depends on shipping methods, packaging, and how low the temps are.

I once got a shipment of pumilios (around 16 years ago) in the middle of January in Colorado, during very frigid weather. Big mistake, as the frogs arrived practically frozen. I was able to bring them around, but it was not a pleasant experience.

I've been looking at some sites recently, and many of them don't have a live arrival guarantee if you ship below 40 degrees.
    Who had you used for shipment?

At backwaterreptiles they say they use heatpacks and package very well and have only had 1.4% DOAs, even in winter.. But still i want to hear of others experiences

Thanks for your response!

Nationality
    [United States]

Backwater is awful. Never heard anything but poor things about them. Also they are drop shippers, they dont have the animals they sell. You buy from them and then they have their vendors ship to you.
    2.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0 Bufo americanus
    0.1.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Xenopus laevis

All my arachnids and other inverts listed in my profile

8. This member thanks MatthewM1 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewM1 View Post
    Backwater is awful. Never heard anything but poor things about them. Also they are drop shippers, they dont have the animals they sell. You buy from them and then they have their vendors ship to you.
    Yeah i was just reading the thread about them on here... WOW. Theyre site is very misleading. Saw some youtube videos too... Read some comments... Some people were sent the wrong animals, others received dead ones, and never given their money back. And it seems the people there have major attitude. Basically, nothing is their fault and its all the customers fault. Im not going through them. Ill wait if i must. I checked lllreptile, seems to be a very good site, based on comments here about it. Unfortunately they dont have red eyes, just those pale agalychnis...

If you know of anyone trust worthy who has adult female red eyed tree frogs available please let me know?

Nationality
    [United States]

LLL is MUCH better, but like with any dealer you'll still find some negative reviews if you dig hard enough. I personally like to deal with other hobbyists/breeders over large dealers, but thats not always a possibility.

Can't help you there. You could try posting a wanted ad in the classifieds section.
    2.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0 Bufo americanus
    0.1 Xenopus laevis

LLL are awesome. But if you are serious about getting red eyes, there is only one person you want to talk to: Michael Novy of rainforest junky's.

Www.rainforestjunkies.com

1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

12. 2 members thank deranged chipmunk for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewM1 View Post
    LLL is MUCH better, but like with any dealer you'll still find some negative reviews if you dig hard enough. I personally like to deal with other hobbyists/breeders over large dealers, but thats not always a possibility.

Can't help you there. You could try posting a wanted ad in the classifieds section.

Thanks for the help

14. This member thanks MantidBro for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by deranged chipmunk View Post
    LLL are awesome. But if you are serious about getting red eyes, there is only one person you want to talk to: Michael Novy of rainforest junky's.

Www.rainforestjunkies.com

Thats funny, i contacted him earlier and he just got back to me. He has them! awesome. thanks a lot for the help.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by MantidBro View Post
    Thanks for the help
    Np man
    2.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0 Bufo americanus
    0.1 Xenopus laevis

I'm glad you found what you were looking for, and that you found out about Backwater Reptiles before it was too late. I've heard nothing but good about Michael Novy, and I'm virtually certain that they wouldn't ship unless they thought it was safe.

As far as the pumilios, that was 16 or more years ago, and I don't recall any of the details, other than that the frogs were delivered to my door. Alot has changed since then, and I doubt that the dealer is even still around.

I don't know where you're located, or what sort of temps you've been getting. I'm in Central New York, and we've had unremitting cold for several weeks. I've been waiting almost 3 weeks to get a shipment from NEherp, and don't know how much longer it will be, and that's just some plant cuttings and a fruit fly culture, and they do use heat packs. I wouldn't dare try to have an animal shipped in these kinds of conditions.

Hope you can get your frogs soon.
    0.0.6 Hyla versicolor
    7.0.0 Dendropsophus leucophyllatus
    2.0.0 Homo sapiens sapiens (K & C, the *other* froglets)

"Cleansed in the finest quality spring water, lightly killed, and then sealed in a succulent Swiss quintuple smooth treble cream milk chocolate envelope, and lovingly frosted with glucose."

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy Frog View Post
    I'm glad you found what you were looking for, and that you found out about Backwater Reptiles before it was too late. I've heard nothing but good about Michael Novy, and I'm virtually certain that they wouldn't ship unless they thought it was safe.

As far as the pumilios, that was 16 or more years ago, and I don't recall any of the details, other than that the frogs were delivered to my door. Alot has changed since then, and I doubt that the dealer is even still around.

I don't know where you're located, or what sort of temps you've been getting. I'm in Central New York, and we've had unremitting cold for several weeks. I've been waiting almost 3 weeks to get a shipment from NEherp, and don't know how much longer it will be, and that's just some plant cuttings and a fruit fly culture, and they do use heat packs. I wouldn't dare try to have an animal shipped in these kinds of conditions.

Hope you can get your frogs soon.
    Yeah its winter here which is why i was asking if its ok to ship frogs in winter... Seems scary. I do think ill wait til its at least 40 degrees F. I wouldnt want a frog to die due to any sort of impatience. Ill gladly wait til its safe for the frogs sake. Though i do think i will go with michael novy. I think ill try calling him as it says on his website that he isnt always available for email.

Thread Information