Thread: Ornate or Cranwells?

Default Ornate or Cranwells?

Hello all! New to the forum and acquired my first frog this past weekend. It's eating healthily and I'm confident in the setup, but I realized I have no idea what species or sex the pacman is. My guess is Cranwell's because of the lack of false eyes, but I don't even know where to begin sexing it. Pictures below, and thanks guys!
    Name:  20150204_004218.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  48.9 KB Name:  20150204_184853.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  44.0 KB Name:  20150204_184956.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  51.2 KB Name:  20150204_185001.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  44.6 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

pachoulzy

Default Re: Ornate or Cranwells?

i'm eager to read others' thoughts on the species- i have a baby that looks very similar to this and i've been wondering the same thing myself.
    as far as sex goes.. how big/old is the frog? if you hear croaking, it's absolutely a male. the croaks sound like goofy little goose honks, haha. males also develop dark brown 'mole' like bumps on the insides of their "hands". males generally have many dark spots under their chins that darken when they're croaking or angry. females are very quiet, have no dark bumps on their thumbs, and have pretty light chins/necks.

these things can be difficult to determine if the frog is under 2.5 inches (i think that's the 'proper' length). correct me if i'm wrong, going off of memory, here.

ps, welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by pachoulzy View Post
    i'm eager to read others' thoughts on the species- i have a baby that looks very similar to this and i've been wondering the same thing myself.
    as far as sex goes.. how big/old is the frog? if you hear croaking, it's absolutely a male. the croaks sound like goofy little goose honks, haha. males also develop dark brown 'mole' like bumps on the insides of their "hands". males generally have many dark spots under their chins that darken when they're croaking or angry. females are very quiet, have no dark bumps on their thumbs, and have pretty light chins/necks.

these things can be difficult to determine if the frog is under 2.5 inches (i think that's the 'proper' length). correct me if i'm wrong, going off of memory, here.

ps, welcome!
    It's definitely made noise while buried in the substrate, but it's more squeaking than honking hahaha. I'll take a peek at the neck and fingers next feeding. I don't know the age, but it's pretty dead on a Kennedy 50 cent piece. Regardless of what it ends up being, it will always be my gateway frog

pachoulzy

mine make those squeaky noises, too. i think it's their feet rubbing against the bottom of the tank cos they're trying to dig so deep, at least that's what it sounds like. if your frog croaks, you'll know it. it's the silliest/cutest sound. it may be too small to determine it's gender, but someone with more experience than myself may be able to tell. i have one that's about the same size as yours and i can't tell at all cos it hasn't made any noise other than feet squeakies.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

That's definitely a Cranwelli. As for gender, probably a little young to tell. The squeaking you are all hearing is probably them trying to dig but rubbing against the glass on the terrarium. When the males do call, you won't mistake it, it's a bit loud and kind of strange. I would recommend listening to some YouTube clips. Every once in a while my frogs will chirp or bark at me if they think I am bothering them too much during a tank cleaning.

And congrats on your frog

Thread Information