Thread: Can Passing Ingested Paper Towel Cause Hemorrhaging?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Can Passing Ingested Paper Towel Cause Hemorrhaging?

My Shirley had some EXTREMELY bloody stool last night and it had some strange white stuff in it... I just looked at the video I took of it and I'm suspicious that the white stuff just might be pieces of balled up paper towel! Shirley, the greedy gut, has been known to grab up and swallow paper towel when going after crickets-- I was able to get it away from her most of the time, but on a couple of different occasions she got it down before I could get it out. I've never seen her pass any... could it have built up until a full belly pushed it out? Could she be damaged on the inside from this? Or is it more like with people when they eat things that are too rough and get little tears down there...? With the crickets, locusts, beetles and other hard stuff frogs eat I don't know how small amts of paper towel would rip them up on the inside... I would have expected her to be lethargic and acting differently after finding this but she was all over the place, the way she usually is before being fed-- I did not feed her last night. She's never been bloated looking. Never refuses food. I was going to start medicating everyone with Panacur tonight but think I will wait to feed her anything until I hear back from her vet. Mailed out the horrific bowel movement this morning and will send him the video tonight. :/

NEVER feed your frogs their feeders on ANYTHING-- moss, paper towels or otherwise, that they are able to swallow. EVER!
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Can Passing Ingested Paper Towel Cause Hemorrhaging?

I think all you can do right now is wait and see and hope it heals. At least I'm not aware of anything else. Good luck.

I think I may be dealing with an intestinally lacerated frog as well- roach fell out of my tweezers this morning and Julep snapped it up and got his face covered in ground peat moss and tiny bark chips. I'm only bowl-feeding from now on. He's also been attacking small bark chips in his water bowl like he thinks they're bugs. How do frogs survive in the wild? How?!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I've no idea...... other than they are usually in branches or on leaf litter, but there's plenty of pokey-jabby-twiggy-barky-pebbly things for the little monsters to swallow-- maybe they just know enough to spit stuff out and our frogs don't :/ Survival of the fittest in the wild, in the tame they are selected for $$ sale, so... O_o
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I assume it's because they have hundreds of babies at a time. I really hope Shirley gets better.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Yeah, exactly. Thanks, I hope Julep stays well too. Ah, our frog kids stress us so... but we love em anyway. :/
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Thread Information