Thread: Using paper towel as primary bedding

PaulyMolitor

Default Using paper towel as primary bedding

I was at a local expo on the look out for an all green cornuta, but ran across this little guy. I used coco fiber in the past, but its such a mess and i have heard of impaction happening for the little guys w/ coco. Any thoughts on paper towel as a permanent bedding?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

PaulyMolitor

Default Re: Using paper towel as primary bedding

he is the most orange pac ive seen that isnt a super pricey japanese morph.

Paul Rust

Quote Originally Posted by PaulyMolitor View Post
    I was at a local expo on the look out for an all green cornuta, but ran across this little guy. I used coco fiber in the past, but its such a mess and i have heard of impaction happening for the little guys w/ coco. Any thoughts on paper towel as a permanent bedding?
    Coco-Fibre is the substrate. Think of it as a base material like aquarium rock except it is good if you want live plants and humodity. Coco-Fibre should be covered with some sort of ground cover like moss, leaf litter, forest floor, whatever you like. I use Coco-Fibre in all my setups but always cover it with whatever is appropriate for the species.

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by NW Amphibian Rescue View Post
    Coco-Fibre should be covered with some sort of ground cover like moss, leaf litter, forest floor, whatever you like.
    Not for these frogs - they will get whatever is put on the coconut fiber in their mouths. The coconut fiber itself is fine but there have been incidences of impaction caused by the swallowing of sphagnum moss, for example.

As for paper towels as the substrate, the problem is that they foul quickly and can lead to a filthy and unsafe environment before you know it. If you must use them, they must be changed very regularly.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Paul Rust

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    As for paper towels as the substrate, the problem is that they foul quickly and can lead to a filthy and unsafe environment before you know it. If you must use them, they must be changed very regularly.
    Just to add a bit, I do use paper towels in short term medical quarantine situations but not long term for the reasons that John states.

Socrates

I would recommend using soil and/or mixing soil with coco fiber. This will help way down the substrate a bit, preventing impaction from possibly occurring. This is what I do with all my frogs set ups. Helps to also retain moisture in the set up.

Cebby75

Quote Originally Posted by Socrates View Post
    I would recommend using soil and/or mixing soil with coco fiber. This will help way down the substrate a bit, preventing impaction from possibly occurring. This is what I do with all my frogs set ups. Helps to also retain moisture in the set up.
    In addition to what Socrates said, not only does it help with humidity control, but also these frogs like to burrow. They can't do so with paper towels, which, could cause your pacman to stress and lose appetite amongst other things.

So, I'd say your best bet is the coco fiber or sometime of soil or a mix of both!

TypingMonkey

Well the paper substrate will help because no risk of impaction, but coco fiber is safe enough to get a little ingested and not be harmful. Also you're frog automatically cleans the food from dirt before it puts it in his mouth, so no need to worry about impaction.

Hmm I personally like simple dirt best. Where do you think they live in nature? Dirt, dirt, dirt, and more dirt. Not coco fiber, certainly not paper towels, and most defenitely not gravel. Stick to dirt and you will get results. Dirt passes easily through their tract, and also it doesnt stick on t hem. Plus they can use it for digging!

Good luck hopes this helps.

Thread Information