Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whites tree frog

Dannyc92

Unhappy Whites tree frog

Hello all. New to this I got a whites tree frog 4 days ago and I have a 180 gallon exo terra which I have designed specifically for the frog and intend to get more dumpys soon. I have 65 humid and 25 c temp, coco fibre sub. The problem I'm having is my young frog seems to be extremely bloated on one side as though it looks like he has broken a rib or some sort? Any help or advice? Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Whites tree frog

could you post a pic of the frog? it would be easier for us to help if we could see it.
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Dannyc92

HI I can't get a pic right now he's on his water fountain having a bath. It's when he sort of turns it looks as though he is really bloated and as though something pointy is protruding. Other than that he's fine running around an he eat 4 locusts before an even done a number 2.

Dannyc92

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  88.4 KBPlus on his side it seems to be very blue! Could this be bruising from a fall/injury? I hope it's not an injury that could result in kidney failure or something!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

If he's eating that sounds good but the pointy looking thing is worrying. Are you sure it's not just a skinfold? It would be good to have a picture whenever he turns the right way.

Edit: Okay that looks very bad. I'll leave it to a more experienced person to tell you what you need to do.

Dannyc92

Both sides looked pretty blueish earlier but that may be from the flash of the camera through the glass not to sure. But he seems to be jumping around the tank as he usually does of a night time and spending all day in the trees hidden. So I'm not sure what I should do. He's pooping normal etc
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

That's a good sign. He looks like he's got a lot of internal bleeding and I don't know what the prognosis is for that kind of bleeding or a broken rib in a frog. can you get a better close-up that gives a clearer idea of the pointy thing?

Dannyc92

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  99.1 KBAttachment 77538That is it on e left hand side.

Dannyc92

That picture with the blue he's not lyk that now, I think it was genuinely just te angle, plus he was making himself big an then breathing right in before I'm presuming he was shedding his skin so maybe that is something to do with it maybe?

Dannyc92

I just had a closer look and he stil does have a small amount of blue shade on both sides by his thighs. :/ what should I do?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I'm not sure there's anything you can do, not unless you can find an experienced herp vet in your area. The problem might get a little better and it's not like you can splint a broken rib on a frog(as far as I know). If it's a broken rib he might have bleeding every time he puffs himself up.

Dannyc92

I know they don't show weakness because in the wild it would get them killed, but if it is a broken rib he's not half moving across the vines right now quite fast. An he ate 4 locusts. I avnt seen him make any dangerous jumps big enough for him to damage himself lyk that. Very strange.

Dannyc92

Hey all my wtf is really clumsy this morning he keeps falling an now he's just in his water fountain again. What should I do

Default Whites tree frog

I would definitely try to find a herp vet in your area that works with amphibians.

Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world ~ Nelson Mandela
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

You say you're feeding locusts? I know when I feed my adult Whites Tree Frog, Martha, big crickets she has the look of something pointy inside for a while. Your frog is clumsy and falling...? Do you dust his insects with Calcium and D3? Check out this article on Metabolic Bone Disease in frogs... http://frogworld.net/health/mbd.html
    Not a clue about the blue color, unless it is some action of the camera. :/

Martha after swallowing a big cricket (see the pointy looking area in her belly by her elbow?)
    Name:  DSC02039.JPG
Views: 124
Size:  138.3 KB
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

Dannyc92

Hi yh I tried him with the crickets and he wasn't interested, only had him a week so I'm presuming e wasn't interested because he was getting used to his enclosure. He's only about 5 months old or so I think, he's got his normal colouration in him now just a tad pinking under belly sides and thys is that normal? I'm a tarantula keeper so this is all new to me. I tried the locusts because they climb up her tree which he has been annihilating everytime he sees them.

Dannyc92

Te pointy thing is exactly what he had. So that's that problem solved haha cheers. Yh the blue was weird it's gone now. I havnt dusted the insects as of yet. But I will b from tonorow.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Good deal! Yes, it is imperative that he gets food dusted once a week with calcium & D3 and once a week on a different day with a good multi vitamin. He's young so twice a week dusting with the Cal/D3 might not be too much.

Keep us updated on how he is doing!
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny

Dannyc92

Will do thanks very much for UR help. I'm gonna get more in the enclosure soon but wanted to learn how to care for one before buying a load an not being able to monitor them all correctly. So the powders I need to be what will I need?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

If he's your first I'd seriously wait a bit to see how you get on with him before going all out... the frogs if purchased individually from different sources will all need to be quarantined for 1-3 months before adding them to a main collection as well, to avert potential disaster from disease/parasites, etc.

Yes. There are many brands of supplement powders available. I use Reptocal with calcium/D3 and Reptivite multi-vitamins.
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information