Thread: Read about a pet before you buy it!!!!!!!!!!!

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Angry Read about a pet before you buy it!!!!!!!!!!!

I am becoming so discusted about people buying a frog and then coming on here and asking how to care for it. Don't believe anything they tell you at Petco or PetSmart.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Read about a pet before you buy it!!!!!!!!!!!

??
    The only reason I am on this site is because I realized something was off about the info the petstore gave me and went looking for a way to correct it. Coming here to look for answers is nothing to be disgusted at; the fault lies with petstores that promote themselves as experts on the animals they sell.

I agree that research is important, but if someone isn't already part of the community it can be difficult to tell good advice from bad.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0 Litoria caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Python regius
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis

Tongue Flicker

This was a lesson i learned a very long time ago lol

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I think that people are reading about the animals, but they see the cute little frog in the store, read the care sheet provided and based on that information, think they can give them a great home. Really those care sheets seem to be written to sell animals. Thankfully there are a lot of people who realize their frogs aren't thriving, find this place, and aren't too shy to ask for help. I'm going to say kudos to anyone coming here for advise because they do care about their little friends. My hope would be that the big chains eventually publish accurate information.

Snow

Hopefully, and I say hopefully. The major pet stores and big chains can actually direct people to this site about things. For all they know it could make their job easier by directing people to it or just mentioning this website as a resource. That's why for me I stay with little "mom and pop" type stores. It seems some of the best people and most caring have been from smaller type stores. But even then I still come here for the fountain of knowledge. I just wish I found this site sooner before losing 3 pacmans before. All with defects the big stores failed to let me know of and of course with no returns or help.

whittyfrog42

My girlfriend works at the petco here in town and they're always getting in rescue frogs that's how we've ended up with 10 and counting frogs but the #s they get back k have Ben going down sense she started she makes everyone go to this site for the care info before she will even tell them about the frogg they want

pachoulzy

as somebody who works in one of the mentioned chain pet stores- i do everything in my power to get people to research before purchasing an animal. i make it a point to ask questions and educate any customer prior to making a purchase, as i don't want them bringing home an animal and being entirely clueless about it. i encourage people to learn, it makes caring for an animal so much more fun and satisfying! my coworkers and i each have a variety of animals at home that we're passionate about (one is even a licensed herpetologist). it really frustrates me that nearly every time i read the name of a chain store, it's something horrible. no matter how bad the chain may be as a whole, i'll continue to do my job and educate every customer that wants to purchase an animal.

never feel ashamed when asking a question, there are people who genuinely want to help. this site is an excellent source of information and it's wonderful that people want to learn! if something they've heard or read doesn't seem right to them, they should come looking for help! it shows that they truly care and want to learn.

@AKFROG
    I find it funny that you say this, but then I look through your posts and in the past week alone you've asked 4 questions about the care of your pacman frog. Just thought I'd put that out there.

Thread Information