Thread: African Clawed Frog got bit/sucked on, now wound appears to be infected..? It turned white.

homerthefrog

Default African Clawed Frog got bit/sucked on, now wound appears to be infected..? It turned white.

Hi. I have a six year old african clawed frog. About a week ago I caught one of my bottom feeder fish sucking on the frog's back. Three days later I noticed a black ring on his back (where the fish was sucking on him) and today I noticed that the ring turned white. I went out and got a little infirmary tank for him and currently he's being treated with T.C. tetracycline ( tetracycline hydrochloride) for freshwater tanks/fish. It's one of those antibiotic powders you mix in the water.

The white stuff/circle is indented a bit. It appears to be a gash in the frog's back. He is moving a lot and at the moment is swimming fine.

Does this sound like the proper course of treatment? I'm including some pictures of the injury. How long should he undergo treatment? Should I keep him in there until the white stuff goes away?

Thanks.

http://img808.imageshack.us/i/0703001600.jpg/
    http://img43.imageshack.us/i/0703001556.jpg/

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: African Clawed Frog got bit/sucked on, now wound appears to be infected..? It turned white.

Tetracycline is usually not recommended for amphibians but since the frog is still alive and improving, it'll probably be alright. If the frog is eating well then I wouldn't worry.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: African Clawed Frog got bit/sucked on, now wound appears to be infected..? It turned white.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Tetracycline is usually not recommended for amphibians but since the frog is still alive and improving, it'll probably be alright. If the frog is eating well then I wouldn't worry.
    Tetracycline is a good alternative and as long as the wound is healing and the frog is behaving normally, recovery will happen in a few days. I have read that gentamicin is used for wound treatment in Xenopus. Bactine has also been proved successful in treating injuries.

Xenopus have the remarkable ability to recover from injuries on their own.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

Nationality
    [United States]

Does the white bit look like it could be a fungus that's growing secondarily to the injury?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by adawinters View Post
    Does the white bit look like it could be a fungus that's growing secondarily to the injury?
    There is always a danger of a fungal infection associated with wounds. A common infection is caused by Saprolegnia, or water mold. This fungus is transmitted to amphibians through infected fish (one reason not to mix fish and frogs). The symptoms are lethargy and grossly gray-white, cottony tufts loosely attached to the skin. I suggest getting an opinion from a veterinarian. A vet will be able to easily identify the infection. Good luck!
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Well, Saprolegnia is pretty benign. Colmnaris is more likely the cause of symptoms like that in my experience, and it looks similar, though not a fungus.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Socrates

If the frog is still behaving normal and eating, it could very well be scar tissue. And I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND NOT housing that ACF with any fish (especially sucker fish, catfish etc.) One it is very stressful on the frog and two as you have experienced they can cause physical harm directly or indirectly.

Thread Information