Thread: Have some questions about ACF...

Tylon

Default Have some questions about ACF...

Hello there!

About 12 years ago, my bro bought an African clawed frog at a pet store. Little guy is still alive, and inspired me to go out and buy one.

So I bought mine a few days ago; the man at the store told me they were too little to tell genders, however today I took a really close look, and believe my frog to be a female (two little bumps it looks like, or so I believe).

Now we have had male frogs our whole life; I never had a female before, and know that there are some differences between the genders. I have been trying to research information on how owning a female would vary, so I know how to prepare myself as she gets bigger.

I read that it takes about 11 months for frogs to reach maturity. Is this true? I have no idea how old this little one is, but that is what the man told me.

I also read up, that it is possible for females to lay eggs. At what age/ would this occur? Or if this would occur at all? I have heard mixed responses; some say that theirs do, others say that theirs don't. Are there certain conditions in which this happens? What do you do when this happens? (I don't plan on really ever breeding her)

Another thing- is their diet. My bro's 12 year old frog loves nothing more than attacking whatever bug/ anything that enters his tank. He seems to enjoy the little pellets and goes crazy over them. He's a fairly large size; probably about 3 inches sitting, 5 inches from head to toe if not more. I have various types of foods including freeze dried blood worms, fish/ beta food, and frog pellets. Are there certain ones preferred? and bugs- I know my brothers frog really enjoys them when he can catch them in his tank. Are there certain ones that frogs prefer? He seems to eat anything and everything... including your hand if it gets in the way.

I love frogs; however I seem to have the worse luck with them. About 10 months ago I got 2 dwarf frogs. One somehow lost both arms and died, the other one just stopped eating and then floated. I couldn't for the life of me figure out what was wrong; The tank was always cleaned, he always had food... He looked like half his body was paralyzed. I made sure to keep it the right amount so he wouldn't have to swim too much to get air.

if anyone knows what that could be from, please do tell! I don't want it to happen again.

I also wonder, if clawed frogs can handle/ enjoy a light on at night. I have a real live bamboo plant in my tank; and my frog seems to enjoy sitting/ sleeping? in its leaves. Sometimes when I put the light on, I feel that she comes out (she's always hiding sticking her head out under the castle). Is this good, or should I leave it off? I try to turn it off at night because i don't know if it bothers her or not...

If anybody could help me, that would be great!

Thank you!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Have some questions about ACF...

Quote Originally Posted by Tylon View Post
    Hello there!
    Hi Ty, welcome to the Frog Forum There are many people on the forum that know ACFs, so you come to the right place!

About 12 years ago, my bro bought an African clawed frog at a pet store.
    The average longevity of these frogs is 15 years. I have heard cases where these frogs have lived 25 years or more! If you have albino frogs, then it is very easy to sex them. The mature males will have nuptial pads - blackened, rough patches on their "fingers and forearms". These look like the frog is wearing gloves and are used to hang on to the female during amplexus (mating). The female will have large skin folds around the cloaca (vent). On normal color frogs, these sexual characteristics will still be visible, but harder to see.

I have been trying to research information on how owning a female would vary, so I know how to prepare myself as she gets bigger.
    If you take a look at my Pipidae photo album, I have pictures of male and female ACFs. There is nothing special for you to do. When they get together, they'll know what do do. You will notice that sexually mature males and females will call, so you will hear a chorus, especially at night.

I read that it takes about 11 months for frogs to reach maturity. Is this true?
    Generally males become sexually mature at 12 months and females at 9 months.

Are there certain conditions in which this happens? What do you do when this happens? (I don't plan on really ever breeding her)
    Just let nature take its course. If the female lays eggs, the adults will eat them.

Are there certain ones that frogs prefer? He seems to eat anything and everything... including your hand if it gets in the way.
    These frogs are both predators and scavengers. They will take in a variety of food, both live and carrion. I feed my ACFs Xenopus chow or Tetra's Repto-Min. They will also eat a variety of worms and insects.

I love frogs; however I seem to have the worse luck with them. About 10 months ago I got 2 dwarf frogs. One somehow lost both arms and died, the other one just stopped eating and then floated.
    I am not sure what happened, they probably had an infection before you bought them.

I also wonder, if clawed frogs can handle/ enjoy a light on at night.
    They are nocturnal. I use a "moonglow" bulb. That way you can see what they are doing without disturbing them. They will get very excited if you turn on a bright light at night.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

Tylon

Thank you very much!

I hear the chorus at night from my bros frog... XD

I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions! Thank you ever so much!

I was just worrying if the bamboo could have done anything? if it could make a frog ill; but I found no information saying it could do such. It just didn't seem to make any sense how my 2 dwarf frogs died out of no where. I heard that frogs often tear up real plants; so far, mine seems to enjoy sitting in its leaves.

I also have gravel in the tank; which I only used due to the fact it anchors the bamboo. My other frogs often used to dig in it, and bury their heads in it and leave their feet sticking out. Why they did that, I had no idea. I see this new one likes to dig and throw the gravel about. Are there certain types of gravel that would be best fit? I know this kind is sort of small...

The light I have is a small, bluish colored light. It's not too bright; It seems to only light up the tip of the ornaments rather than the whole tank itself, which I assume is probably a good thing.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I was just worrying if the bamboo could have done anything?
    I don't think the bamboo had anything to do with the death of your ADFs. Their infection was probably the result of being stressed out during shipping and poor husbandry at the pet store. I kept ADFs in the past, but I find ACFs to be more exciting and interesting to keep.

Are there certain types of gravel that would be best fit? I know this kind is sort of small...
    The only problem I see with small gravel is if the frogs swallow it when eating or digging. After all digging is what these frogs do best, ever wonder why they have claws?

The light I have is a small, bluish colored light. It's not too bright; It seems to only light up the tip of the ornaments rather than the whole tank itself, which I assume is probably a good thing.
    I don't see a problem with the way you have the lights set up. Bright lights will stress the frogs out. Using a dimmer switch might work out too. Plenty of hiding places will help reduce stress.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

Tylon

Thank you!

I have the light on now; she really seems to be enjoying sitting on/ sleeping in the bamboo. It dosn't seem to be bothering her at all.

I did notice though, she was moving back and forth oddly... almost like there was a current she was swimming against, but there isn't any... I think she might be shedding skin? Something very wispy and thin; saw her shoving it in her mouth... and when she was eating it, she did this weird thing with her eyes I never saw before... like they sunk in?

I dont ever recall my bro's frog doing such... then again, that was 12 years ago...

I think when I clean the tank I will go out and buy some bigger gravel then...

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

Hi there Tylon and welcome to the forum .

It sure sounds like your frog is shedding to me. The sinking of the eyes is something frogs often will do during eating as it helps them to swallow their food.

I use bamboo all the time in my enclosures dried and growing. it's perfectly safe as long as there no sharp edges.

Kurt

Welcome aboard. Terry's your man when it comes to Pipids.

Thread Information