Thread: Adopted Fire Bellies - Only trying to escape?

GrumpaDirt

Default Adopted Fire Bellies - Only trying to escape?

Hey everyone. I know I have read something about this or seen a youtube video about it but I need to ask to be sure. Extremely sorry if this has been asked/posted. So today I adopted 2 FBT's that are 1.5 years old. They are in what looks to be a 5ish gallon exxo terra front opening terrarium. It had some lovely aquarium gravel in it fit for a princess. Aside from being too small and having tiny rocks they were feeding on nothing else seemed wrong. they were quite tame, as in, wouldn't jump away f you put your hand in there, and they advertised them as something you could hold . So I got them home, and took what was left of my aquarium supplies, and whipped together an old clean 10 gallon aquarium I had, and threw a filter I had in there. I know they dont have as much land as they did until I can get to the store tomorrow, and I know it different (better) and they probably are not used to having a filter in there, but all they are trying to do is escape, and I feel really bad for moving them now. So long story short, are they going to get used to their new home? Should I put them back in what they were used to? Pics to follow!

Old terrarium

Frogs:

New aquarium:

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

GrumpaDirt

Default Re: Adopted Fire Bellies - Only trying to escape?

Ok, so I went back and changed it up a bit. I think its nicer for them now, it makes a cave under the moss in the water, and I put moss on top so its more comfy. I removed the filter for now and will get a better one tomorrow. something submersible and quiet so they can adjust better. I will also make more land out there for them tomorrow. Still hoping to hear any other thoughts on the escape attempts...

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

They're just not used to it, or they're exploring. That tank is so much better than the old one, don't put them back. Fire bellies are so adaptable, they'll get used to it. If you make a pile of rocks that come up to the filter, the water will trickle down them instead of splashing.

GrumpaDirt

I added more foliage, put the filter back and I have the water landing on a rock, so its not so noisy, and I threw some clean boiled driftwood in there. It looks much better now, and I think I am happy with the way it looks for now. The frogs settled down now, and I hope they enjoy their new more realistic looking home with a proper filter and actual water to swim in. I feel like they were tortured living in that last set up.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

My first FBT is always trying to escape. Any time the lid comes off for cleaning or feeding he's trying to climb or jump out. This has been going on for well over three years. The other FBT just sits there and watches the world go by. For lack of anything better to attribute it to, I just say it's their "personalities".

Nice little setup you did. Is there a little cave or hide-a-way for them?

GrumpaDirt

They have totally chilled out now, and are eating well. I am also now feeding them calcium dusted crickets. I dont think the original owners were doing that. I want to keep these guys nice and healthy!

Thread Information