Thread: Eating substrate

Nationality
    [United States]

Exclamation Eating substrate

Hey everyone. I've had my frog for a few days now and he's been eating well crickets. I feed him a medium sized one once a day. The other day when I went to feed him he attacked and stuck his tongue to the tongs. He was ok but afraid he might hurt himself I used the tongs to drop the cricket near him today and he dove and missed twice. Each time he caught a bit of eco earth his mouth. The first chunk he seemed to drop most of the second he swallowed though. He also grabbed a little bit when he nabbed the cricket. Will be ok? Is there anything I can do should problems arise? On an odd side note what doe's their waste usually look like so I can tell if he's going?

Temp: 80-82 Day 75-79 night
    Misted enough the side keeps condensation

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Eating substrate

What kind of substrate is he on? I don't have experience with pacmans so I can't answer your question, but this information can help other people give you a more accurate answer.

You might want to consider bowl feeding for your frog. Just put a glass bowl in his tank and put the crickets in the bowl. This way the crickets stay confined and your frog won't get any substrate when he catches them.

Nationality
    [United States]

First off, bowl-feeding a pac isn't a great idea because of the way they hunt. It's more suited to tree-frogs that can perch on the bowl and eat out of it.

Second, swallowing a bit of eco-earth is fine. It passes right through their systems. I wouldn't expect any problems from it, but no matter what bedding you use, it's always a good idea to look out for changes in the frog's eating/pooping habits.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0 Litoria caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Python regius
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Tong feeding seems to be the best way to avoid them ingesting substrate. I do not keep pacmans so I am just repeating what I have read, but you could relocate him/her to a feeding container with damp paper towel substrate for feeding and then return him/her to their home. Be sure treated tap water is what is used for soaking the paper towels.
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Blue Jeans' (2014 Nicaragua Import)
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Chirique Grande' F1
    1.1.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Citronella'
    1.2.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Azureus'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'Sipaliwini'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'New River'
    0.0.4 - D. Tinctorius 'Leucomelas'
    0.0.4 - Terribilis 'Mint'
    1.1.0 - R. Ventrimaculatus 'French Guiana'

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/hashtagfrogs
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgC...sEZiZQoT8sOuuw

Danielle

I have 2 young pacmans and was having the same problem. My female wasnt home for more then a couple days so we decided to try her in a smaller container for feedings. Right away she was fine with this and ate a large meal of 4 crickets. After a few feedings in the container she has become very comfortable feeding like this and knows the container means feeding time. I will gradually increase the size of the container I am using so she gets used to "hunting" larger areas. My male pacman is about a month older and is more accustomed to eating in the 10 gallon tank. I was finding that a good misting of the substrate before feeding helped him but have since started feeding him in a container as well because he was still eating the substrate too much for me to be comfortable.

Frogger00

Default Eating substrate

For your tong feeding issue,if you are worried about him hurting his mouth I believe exo terra is now selling tongs with silicone in the ends for this very problem. Plastic is better than the metal ones as well.

Eating substrate is okay as others have said, but if you are concerned you can switch to a coconut based substrate which is easily digested.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thread Information