Thread: Hey, what is adequate space for a paceman frog?

ReptiKid

Default Hey, what is adequate space for a paceman frog?

Hey, I'm planning on expanding my collection and getting a pacman frog, and I know how unreliable the Internet can be with my Leo's and turtle info, so I'd like a more experienced opinion on what's a good amount of space for the frog, I know they don't move often so even though a ten gal seems small, is the enough? Also, what are some plants they would like, I'd assume low and wide plants that would give them security? Finally, heat pad or over hanging light? I'd also assume heat pad for humidity reasons. Thanks

- I really don't wanna under cut this frog so I don't wanna get the minimal possible, I want a good home for him

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: Hey, what is adequate space for a paceman frog?

It kinda depends on how big the frog is when you buy him. If its a baby some people will start off in a little 5 gallon or in a small tub or lets say a medium size critter keeper, and some will just put them in a 10 gallon. I have my baby in a 10 and he/she is all over the place, very active little pacman actually. If its a sub adult you can start with the 10 forsure and then when hes an adult you can switch up to 20 gallon long. You don't want to start with the 20 if its a baby because it will more then likely just overwhelm him then he will become stressed and this can make him sick. Some people even just stick with the 10 gallon for the entire life of the frog. Heating I prefer heat pads but others use those ceramic heat emitters as well, from what I understand they don't dry out the tank as much as the lights. For the plants if you want some live ones I cant help you out because I don't have green thumb its more black, I killed my house plants that's how poor I am with plants and I will openly admit it. L.O.L But yes you want ones with big leaves for the frog to hide under, if they feel to exposed again they will become stressed and this is not good for him. If you do choose to go with live plants just remember these frogs love to burrow and there will be a good chance he may dig up some of your plants, I think I read in another thread that they suggest to keep the plants in the pot because of this reason. IM not a 100% sure about that part so again you may want to wait for someone else to chime in about the plants. Hope I was able to help you out some.

ReptiKid

Quote Originally Posted by monster View Post
    It kinda depends on how big the frog is when you buy him. If its a baby some people will start off in a little 5 gallon or in a small tub or lets say a medium size critter keeper, and some will just put them in a 10 gallon. I have my baby in a 10 and he/she is all over the place, very active little pacman actually. If its a sub adult you can start with the 10 forsure and then when hes an adult you can switch up to 20 gallon long. You don't want to start with the 20 if its a baby because it will more then likely just overwhelm him then he will become stressed and this can make him sick. Some people even just stick with the 10 gallon for the entire life of the frog. Heating I prefer heat pads but others use those ceramic heat emitters as well, from what I understand they don't dry out the tank as much as the lights. For the plants if you want some live ones I cant help you out because I don't have green thumb its more black, I killed my house plants that's how poor I am with plants and I will openly admit it. L.O.L But yes you want ones with big leaves for the frog to hide under, if they feel to exposed again they will become stressed and this is not good for him. If you do choose to go with live plants just remember these frogs love to burrow and there will be a good chance he may dig up some of your plants, I think I read in another thread that they suggest to keep the plants in the pot because of this reason. IM not a 100% sure about that part so again you may want to wait for someone else to chime in about the plants. Hope I was able to help you out some.
    yes this helped thanks

Nationality
    [Canada]

Oh and just in case you get misinformed about this try to keep his temps around 82f to 85f. And his humidity around 80%, these are two things that are very important to his all around health and the heat is what helps them digest there food. If its to cold they wont digest properly and then they will not poop and this can make the frog go toxic from old food in his belly. Lots of stores and stuff will give wrong advice on these 2 elements of the frogs life.

ReptiKid

Quote Originally Posted by monster View Post
    Oh and just in case you get misinformed about this try to keep his temps around 82f to 85f. And his humidity around 80%, these are two things that are very important to his all around health and the heat is what helps them digest there food. If its to cold they wont digest properly and then they will not poop and this can make the frog go toxic from old food in his belly. Lots of stores and stuff will give wrong advice on these 2 elements of the frogs life.
    Luckily when I was talking to the store about reptiles and such, I knew he basically knew nothing about any of the animals there and actually feared a few from bad experiences (when I asked what happened he said he had been bitten by one of the snakes and the beardies, I won't say what store or how often they feed them... Basically becuase it will start another debate on how chain pet stores don't know what their doing) my only comment is that someone who fears the reptiles shouldn't be in charge of them...

Nationality
    [Canada]

Ya that's not good at all, and that's a very good point. I forgot to mention that at night when the lights go out let his temps drop a couple degrees, lets say down to 79f and that's when he will come out to eat. This is when they eat in the wild so its the best time to feed him. When you end up getting him post some pictures.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by ReptiKid View Post
    Luckily when I was talking to the store about reptiles and such, I knew he basically knew nothing about any of the animals there and actually feared a few from bad experiences (when I asked what happened he said he had been bitten by one of the snakes and the beardies, I won't say what store or how often they feed them... Basically becuase it will start another debate on how chain pet stores don't know what their doing) my only comment is that someone who fears the reptiles shouldn't be in charge of them...
    lol I don't think there's really a debate about that, it's just one of those things that's universally accepted on exotics forums Most lps have no idea what they're doing. Sad but true.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0 Litoria caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Python regius
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis

Thread Information