Thread: How far down should he be burried and humidity issues, related?

Nationality
    [United States]

Question How far down should he be burried and humidity issues, related?

I have a question regarding my juvenile GABF. He regularly buries himself completely under about two inches or so of the coconut fiber substrate, is that normal?

I know they like to bury themselves but in most pictures I see their heads are usually sticking up a bit.

I uncover him every two to three days to feed him (either dubia or earthworms), we usually scare each other, I poke him he jumps and squeaks and then I jump and squeak. He then hops around a bit while I try to grab him to transfer him to his feeding tank (I do this because he has really bad aim and ends up getting a couple mouthfuls of substrate for every feeder. I assume his aim will get better as he gets older?) After eating I place him in his water dish and he either hangs out there for a while or goes over to his flower pot hide for a few hours or a day. Then he hops back over by his plant and buries himself completely, until we start again.

Anyway, is it normal for him to bury himself completely for days at a time?

I am having a few issues keeping his humidity up as high as I want it consistently. I'm probably going to get an automatic mister so it will stay up during the day while I'm at work. After I mist him the humidity is at about 85-90% but by the time I get home it can be down to around 55-65% (it's really dry here right now). He's on a coconut fiber substrate with some sphagnum moss spread over some of the dirt and his hide, but I feel like his soil is almost too moist, while the air is too dry. I have some plastic wrap covering half of the mesh lid. There is an under the tank heater, but it is temperature regulated to turn off at 85 deg. F and a light above to add light, it's a 50 watt bulb. Any suggestions? Maybe a larger water bowl?

Here are some pictures:

He can usually be found in the back corner by the plant, he chose the location before the moss.
    Name:  IMG_2522.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  87.5 KB

Here he is during dinner. He's approximately 3 inches nose to butt.
    Name:  IMG_2488.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  70.7 KB Name:  IMG_2487.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  84.3 KB
    Most of the dirt you see came off of him. He likes to hop around a bit while waiting for his dinner.

Thanks for all the help guys!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: How far down should he be burried and humidity issues, related?

usually if u provide enough eco earth for them to burry their whole body, they will do that....but usually, ive seen, is ppl only provide enough for them to dig their bodies in and leaving their head and eyes out....its not a problem at all if ur frog is still eating and hopping around....just likes to dig itself in deep....and its looking like a boy as well!!

Nationality
    [United States]

Great! Thanks. Cool to here he looks like a boy! I wasn't sure if it was too early to tell.

yea its still early....its only as good as a guess lol maybe in another month or two we should be able to tell from that bottom pics it looks more male than female

Thread Information