Thread: Cleaning & Misting Habits

Default Cleaning & Misting Habits

Hi everyone,

I've got two American green tree frogs (hyla cinerea) and 3 Australian green/white's tree frogs (litoria caerulea).
    The temperature for my cinereas is around 25 celsius (77 F) during the day and drops to about 22 during the night (71 F). The humidity is usually after misting over 80% but drops to about 65-70% during the day. And for my WTFs the temperature is a little bit higher about 27 C (80 F) and drops to about 22 (71 F) for night, while the humidity is usually 55-75%. Is this okay?

I'd like to ask people's habits about cleaning and misting the terrarium. Might be a little bit irrelevant questions, but I'd like to know how people do these things.

I don't have any kind of machine/waterfall to do the misting so I usually do it myself by spraying water in the enclosure, in the evening after the lights have gone off and my frogs are about to wake up. The thing is, sometimes during the day (especially if it's been very sunny) the humidity level might drop quite a bit. If it drops radically of course I go and mist the terrarium well. What if the humidity has dropped only a little, should I go and mist it anyway if I'm at home and notice this? This of course wakes up the frogs usually, so which is better... To mist it anyway or wait for the evening and keep the misting as a routine?

Also about daily cleaning of the enclosure, if you notice poop somewhere in the terrarium e.g. in the morning, do you go and clean it up straight away? Or do you again, wait for the evening and keep the cleaning as a routine also? Sometimes I've just changed the water in the dish in the evening and when I wake up in the morning, there is poop. Should I change the water again in the morning, even though frogs are asleep and might wake up, or change the water in the evening?

Also how often do you take your frogs out of the terrarium and clean it from the bottom to top very well?

Thanks for your answers
    1.1.0 Hyla Cinerea - Luma & Lime
    1.1.1. Litoria Caerulea - Dory, Ruto & Riki

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Cleaning & Misting Habits

Usually if you have a large water dish, the humidity wont drop as much. Its best to spray the enclosure with a light mist, something like 2-4 squirts with the sprayer with dechlorinated water. Cleaning IMO should be done when poop is seen. Some people will ignore it for smaller frogs and use a culture of springtails (insect janitors) if they have a vivarium.
    "A Righteous man cares for his animals" - Proverbs 12:10
    1.0.0 Correlophus cilliatus
    2.1.0 Bombina orientalis
    0.1.0 Ambystoma mexicanum
    0.0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0.0 Litoria caerulea
    1.1.0 Dendrobates auratus "Nicaraguan"
    0.0.2 Dendrobates tinctorius "Azureus"

Thread Information