Thread: Hello! A greeting, some backround, and plenty of questions

Avacado

Default Hello! A greeting, some backround, and plenty of questions

Hello,

I'd like to start by introducing myself and my pacific tree frog, Pistachio. Pistachio kind of fell into my lap. As you can see from one of the attached pictures, she got blown out of an air duct at work and I found her next to my cubicle. A good number of people walked past her thinking she was a giant dust bunny. I'm just glad she didn't get stepped on.

After cleaning her off she didn't even have the strength to hold herself up. She was dried out and weak. Who knows how long she was in the air vent. The heat had just come on in the office and I figure she literally got blown out.

I was able to stop by the pet store on the way home and put together a bare bones terrarium while she got her strength back. It took a few days before she seemed fully recovered.

As you can probably guess I became somewhat attached to her. I initially intended to release her after she got better... but needless to say that didn't happen. Now almost six months later she's doing extremely well for the most part and happy.

I say for the most part because I have a question I'm not sure about.

How long after consuming a questionable item should I be worried about impactation?

I was cleaning her terrarium out this last Saturday and I was putting in long sphagnum moss. Something fell out of the moss, I'm not sure exactly what, and into her pool. It looked like a smallish chunk of bark or something woody. I was an idiot and didn't remove it right away before putting her back in. But sure enough, the motion of the water caused her to take an interest in it and she ate it almost immediately.

It's just over 72 hours later and she pooped about an hour ago. Am I in the clear?

I inspected the feces and didn't find a chuck like I saw her eat but I did find some fibrous material that could have been coconut husk. I really have no idea about frog digestion and length of time it takes for something to go from point A to point B if you get my meaning. As a precaution I gave her a small amount of mineral oil just in case something were to get stuck.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Avacado; January 12th, 2015 at 10:29 PM. Reason: grammar

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Hello! A greeting, some backround, and plenty of questions

Welcome to the forum You sure did save its life poor guy! pacific chorus frogs are an opportunistic
    feeder so they will eat any acceptable prey they can. Doing so they will usually poop the next day. If they
    are kept cooler, they may poop in the next 2 days.

If you notice that its body is starting to swell, this may be because of the impaction and will most likely refuse food.
    The best home remedy for this is to get a bowl of lukewarm water (Dechlorinated) and a drop of honey, this usually
    relaxes the intestinal tract and the frog can poop freely.

Im not sure if mineral oil would be a safe option for frogs though.
    "A Righteous man cares for his animals" - Proverbs 12:10
    1.0.0 Correlophus cilliatus
    2.1.0 Bombina orientalis
    0.1.0 Ambystoma mexicanum
    0.0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0.0 Litoria caerulea
    1.1.0 Dendrobates auratus "Nicaraguan"
    0.0.2 Dendrobates tinctorius "Azureus"

Avacado

Thanks for the swift reply, Bombina Bob. I will use water and honey in the future.

I will defiantly look out for the signs you mentioned and will assume everything is ok for now. I guess it's a good indication that she still has a healthy appetite?

I just saw her eat that chunk of whatever it was and freaked out

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Welcome to Frog Forum! That's the first frog I ever seen with hair Glad you were able to save it. Looks like your frog has a comfortable home.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

By far the saddest picture I've seen in a while. Great job on the rescue.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

That is pitiful! Glad you could help it.
    I'd be really cautious about using mineral oil, frogs have reactions to things other animals wouldn't.

Are you using a dechlorinator for the water? Just thought I'd ask, since some frog owners don't realize you need one.

Avacado

Quote Originally Posted by elly View Post
    That is pitiful! Glad you could help it.
    I'd be really cautious about using mineral oil, frogs have reactions to things other animals wouldn't.

Are you using a dechlorinator for the water? Just thought I'd ask, since some frog owners don't realize you need one.
    Yep, I use either chlorine free drinking water with under 50 ppm dissolved solids or distilled water. I buy it by the jug for my carnivorous plant hobby so a little extra of the good stuff for the froggy is no problem

And yeah, thanks for reiterating the mineral oil thing. She seemed to handle it ok, but now I know better than to take the chance. Warm water and maybe a little honey from here on out.

And thanks for the warm welcome. This seems like a really polite community I'm looking forward to being apart of.

Thread Information