Thread: Viv update - bumble bee toads

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Viv update - bumble bee toads

Time for an update on my only tank! My bumble bee toad tank

After I took these shots, I removed some dead moss clumps (no idea how moss can even die :/ ) and raised the water level, also added a bunch of large rocks to give the toads a place to get out of the water if they need to. However it's only a bit more than an inch deep, so I don't think it'll be an issue, as there's already a gravel bottom.

I lost my dragon fern and one other. I'm guessing they didn't get enough light, as this tank only gets light from my kitchen windows. However the begonia, philodendron, and most of the various mosses and lichens are doing really well. Especially the philodendron, it's easily my favorite plant in there aside from the one twisty tilly growing on my wood. I'll probably be gluing that on soon, it keeps wiggling its way off the branch.

I will also be looking into some peace lilies and pothos (assuming pothos are toad-safe) to replace the ferns that died. I am moving soon, and the tank will probably be in a room with a lot more light, as I'll probably be adding it to my fish room. Either that or the living room (which is also crazy bright).

I will be looking into getting two more toads in the next few months, maybe even three or four since everyone's staying small. Humidity has been very stable in it's natural flux way, humid over the water in the mornings and dry in the back, then the reverse at night. It seems to be working just fine, anyway We'll see how it goes with more water.

The aquatic plants are doing well. Fewer azolla survived than I would have liked, but the anubias is doing great.

So, here it is. Enjoy, critique, do or say as you please with it All three toads are fat, happy, and it appears they're full grown, as they've pretty much stopped getting bigger. Looks like it ended up being three males in the end, not two males and a female. Either that or the female's a runt LOL.
    Attached Images Attached Images       

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Viv update - bumble bee toads

Nice lichen and air plants. I've never seen duckweed in a tank before so that's new. (That's what it is, right?) Is the gravel covered with water?

Nationality
    [United States]

It's not duckweed, it's azolla caroliniana that got huge, but yes, it's in water over the gravel. I have more tillies in there than you can see in the pictures. Most aren't doing as well as I'd hoped, so I'm probably going to remove them to a tilly garden when I get the chance. Just waiting for an empty 2ltr bottle that isn't green lol. I do want more lichen, it's doing the best of all the mosses.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by junebug View Post
    It's not duckweed, it's azolla caroliniana that got huge, but yes, it's in water over the gravel. I have more tillies in there than you can see in the pictures. Most aren't doing as well as I'd hoped, so I'm probably going to remove them to a tilly garden when I get the chance. Just waiting for an empty 2ltr bottle that isn't green lol. I do want more lichen, it's doing the best of all the mosses.
    Tillies require good circulation, I learned that the hard way! They do not want wet feet and need to be able to dry out between watering or they'll develop mold, rot, and other diseases. A few times a month, I took mine out and soaked them to give them a good watering. I usually mount them upside down so any standing water drips off and then they eventually grow upwards.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Nationality
    [United States]

Yeah, I had a few that got too wet and turned to mush. They just did not want to stay mounted where I wanted them, they had to self-murder in the soil. Bratty plants LOL. The remaining ones are doing fine, though.

Thread Information