Thread: Are WTF's communal?

illadelfyaEAGLE

Default Are WTF's communal?

I was wondering if WTF's are communal. My whites is a young male and i was wondering if he would be "happier" if i got him a female companion. I'm not sure, but i believe i have sufficient space (I have an XL exo-terra terrarium 18x18x24) for 2 whites. The drawback is that there will be twice as much fecal waste to worry about. Right now the tank is in equilibrium between plants, mosses, and beneficial bacteria. Today i found springtails and an earthworm in the soil. there is a great earthy smell. I'm worried adding another frog might disrupt this. Any thoughts???

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Are WTF's communal?

I have not noticed White's being happier having a partner. Anytime I've added a White's, they seem pretty indifferent. The only thing is that having two might lead to more croaking. Sometimes one will step on top of another, so the one being stepped on might let out a loud squeak.

The exo-terra you have will be sufficient for two frogs. Just expect a bigger mess.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

everyone says no... except to breed. They do not have that capacity in their brain. BUT... I believe they do. I have 4 whites. all in the same 40 gallon tank. I always find the two pairs together on different sides of the tank. never do I find one male with the other Male or with the other Males female. They are always with there Mate. One week I moved one pair to a new tank. for a few weeks they were always brown in color. I thought just getting used to the new tank. same plants same peat moss same type of water dish. after 6 weeks I moved them back into the other tank with the other pair of whites. right off the bat they turned green again. I think they do have feeling for other frogs. I know they enjoy me getting them out to play... and they almost ask to come out of there cage by sining and then leaping on the glass and looking out of the cage at me.

So... I think your frog would love another tank mate. Just make sure its close to the same size and the same species

illadelfyaEAGLE

Wambli, thats nteresting, the only thing is that my whites is still a young male (i know this because he croaks) and is probably 2.5 inches svl. I will have to wait til hes fully mature (guessing 3.5 inches for a male) before i can get a large female (because size is the only sex determining factor for a novice like me). Im guessing a mature female would be 4-4.5 inches svl. I couldn't add a fully mature female yet could I?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

as long as he wont fit in her mouth.... LOL

I got mine at a couple different pets marts. they are all about the same size... I have two males that croak and really late nights I hear chirping... but since the lights are off I cant tell who is doing it. Good Luck...

P.S. maybe I just try to make them humanistic by adding my likes and personality to them... anyway I love my frogs.

Thread Information