Thread: Humidity Issue

Daniel Ward

Default Humidity Issue

So I am having a hard time keeping humidity above 70-75. I plan on buying a reptifogger. In the mean time Will misting and keeping a dish of water in habitat be okay? I also have moistened the substrate.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Humidity Issue

What type of frogs are you keeping and what type of lid/top do you have?

Nationality
    [Canada]

Yes you can mist a put a water dish in there, these are things that should be being done daily anyways. And what do you mean you moistened the substrate. Did you have it in there like almost dry?

Daniel Ward

I am keeping a Pacman Frog. And when I opened up the substrate it was dry so I put it in tank and added water and mixed it all up so it is moist but not soupy. Its more soggy. The top is just a screen top. Using a red heating light and I put aluminum foil over the screen top to try and hold in moisture but it isn't working very well.

Nationality
    [Canada]

I wouldn't keep it to wet, you just kinda want it to clump in your hand but not have water comeing out. And unfortunately with bulbs that is one of the down falls, it dries up your tank fast. But ya just keep doing what your doing till you get a fogger and it should be fine. And I don't how you setup the tinfoil on the top but if you cover whole top, cut about a inch out from each side and put your dome on the tin and trace a hole around it and then cut that out and then put your light there it seems to hold for abit longer. This is how I have my baby pacman setup.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Mist frequently, make sure the dirt is staying moist but not wet. Keep most of the top covered, make sure you are using a digital gauge, the dial ones are very inaccurate. Lastly, get the reptifogger, they work amazingly.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Do you use the Reptifogger Thevacant face? Im just asking cause I have heard different reviews about them, and I don't mind misting but if these work good I would rather have one of these?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Yes, I use a reptifogger, I actually have it tied into three tanks, and it keeps things humid. I do have a bit of an issue with water condensating in the line and then pooling at whatever the low spot is, but if properly set up there shouldn't be an issue. Other than that all I can say is that it will scale up and stop working within a couple days if you use anything other than distilled water.

Nationality
    [Canada]

I think im going to get one. And I may try to do the same thing as you and make it run into 2 tanks.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I picked up 3/4" beverage line and nylon couples from a home improvement store to make my connections. I would recommend slanting the lines and having a drain at the end to recapture the condensate, the one frog at the end of the line ended up pretty soggy there at first.

Daniel Ward

I have bought some moss to add to the tank as well and I also am using a 75 watt blue bulb in the day and a 60 watt red light at night. I don't know the exact name but they are zoomed. I also keep a pool of water for him s if the humidity does go out he will get in the water right and soak? I have noticed dirt in the water in the mornings when I go to feed him so I am sure he has jumped in.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

If you feed him in the enclosure, get rid of the moss, too much of an impaction risk. They will climb into their water bowls if they feel dry, but not always, they don't have the same level of logical thought as a person or even most mammals. If the dirt and air are too dry, he may figure its time to estivate, and start that process which isn't good for them. Ceramic heat emitters seem to not dry the place out quite as fast as other bulbs.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Thanks for the info on the reptifogger, im going to get one next pay.

Daniel Ward

When he feeds its away from the moss. I added tin foil to the top of the screen on both sides and put the dome in the middle and humidity is staying at 80. But the heat itself isn't going higher than 75. When Friday rolls around I am gonna buy a UTH. Will the tin foil be okay? Like it won't burn? I have both sides wrapped and there is about an inch all around the dome that is tin foil free.

Daniel Ward

Name:  frogtank.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  75.7 KBName:  10888806_482497705224361_3388894853148046621_n.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  60.3 KB
    That is the top and a small pic of Jabba.

Thread Information