Thread: Whites Tree Frog Questions. Please help.

FROGMAN77

Default Whites Tree Frog Questions. Please help.

I have a couple of questions about my year and a half old whites tree frog, my first frog.

• what can you do about rust on the mesh on the top of your vivaium and can it be harmful (my frog spends most of his time on the top.
    • I tend to feed my frog 2 crickets or 1 if he doesn't want 2 (small/medium) a day dusted with calcium powder stuff, is that too much?
    • My frog does not come down as much and wait for food as often, is this because I generally feed him between 8-12pm and is that a suitable time.
    • I clean his tank once a month, is that acceptable?
    • Is a tank 45x45x45cm acceptable for a single, male whites tree frog.
    • Finally, is this suitable set up, I use orchid bark chips, wide shallow water bowl, long log, 2 wall plants, 1 ground plant and a flexy vine.

Thanks for your time...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Whites Tree Frog Questions. Please help.

1. I'm not sure. I'll wait to hear other people's answers.
    2. It might be a little much. I've heard twice a week as a recommended feeding frequency for adults. But I'd just look at the frog and see. If his ear rolls get big I'd cut down on food.
    3. The time should be okay. I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter.
    4. Probably unless it starts to smell bad before then. I'd remove any poop I see immediately. (You do have plain substrate, not a planted tank or water?) Water needs to be changed every 1-2 days though.
    5. I think it's a bit too small honestly. Tree frogs really like to jump around at night and White's need all the exercise they can get. A taller tank might lessen the urge to rub their noses on the mesh.
    6. Big chunky stuff like orchid bark can get swallowed and lead to impaction. Honestly fine ground coconut substrate can lead to impaction too, I've heard, but it's a lot less likely. The plants and log are good. Plenty of places to hide.

elly has you covered pretty well there. on the first question. the rust is bad for them. that is a concentrated form of iron oxide. 2 options: 1) remove the metal screen and replace it with fiberglass screening. (it's done the same way one would replace the screen in a house window) or 2) replace the screen with plexiglass or acrylic and drill or melt holes into it for ventilation.
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

FROGMAN77

Thanks, good detailed answers, this is my first frog so I went for a "all in one" set which came with that certain sized tank, I will most likely get a taller tank with the same width when I'm older (2-3years). Also plz can I see a pic of your set up.

Banned
    Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Whites Tree Frog Questions. Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by FROGMAN77 View Post
    I have a couple of questions about my year and a half old whites tree frog, my first frog.

• what can you do about rust on the mesh on the top of your vivaium and can it be harmful (my frog spends most of his time on the top.
    • I tend to feed my frog 2 crickets or 1 if he doesn't want 2 (small/medium) a day dusted with calcium powder stuff, is that too much?
    • My frog does not come down as much and wait for food as often, is this because I generally feed him between 8-12pm and is that a suitable time.
    • I clean his tank once a month, is that acceptable?
    • Is a tank 45x45x45cm acceptable for a single, male whites tree frog.
    • Finally, is this suitable set up, I use orchid bark chips, wide shallow water bowl, long log, 2 wall plants, 1 ground plant and a flexy vine.

Thanks for your time...
    1. Not sure.
    2. I feed my two every 4 days, about 10-15 small (2 weeks) crickets and for calcium and vitamins, flukers brand has cricket water with added stuff that I use. You don't have to dust crickets every day to my knowledge.
    3. Feeding time doesn't matter too much, though I'd suspect that in the wild they hunt at night, so you are doing just fine.
    4. Yup,just clean poop out when you see it.
    5. It'll be good for now, but like others have said, try to upgrade in the future, they prefer higher space to jump.
    6. Coconut fibre is probably a safer option, but everything else sounds great.

You are doing very well for a beginner frogger, just remember not to worry too much and also, what works for one won't work for another.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Here's my setup. A planted tank is not necessary to have a good frog tank. It's extra work and expense to set up but it can be cleaned less frequently. I have an exo terra 45 x 45x 60cm

Thread Information