Thread: Update: Kirby is still not eating

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Update: Kirby is still not eating

Is this a hibernation for the winter? Its not that cold in my room and he has a heat lamp on him through out the day.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: Update: Kirby is still not eating

Hey, sorry to hear your frog is still not eating. Exactly how long has it been since the last time he ate anything? What are the exact temps and humidity in the enclosure? did you cover any of the sides as suggested? A picture of the frog and his new enclosure would be very helpful. So im going to back track a moment to the first post you put up due to him not eating. Im really thinking you may want to bring him to get checked out by a vet, the putting him in the sink and having him in the same substrate for 6 months may have led him to get a bacterial infection or something. You should always try to remind yourself that these guys absorb water through there skin, so what ever they are sitting in is going to end up going through there system. I imagine that substrate after that long became filled with toxins from the urine. When you look at him does anything else seem off about him? A picture would be very helpful. If you dig him up does he seem lethargic?

Nationality
    [Canada]

The temp and humidity are both around 80. When I dig him up he just kind of sits in my hand, which isn't any different. I changed the dirt and have a bigger cage and I even tried taking him out and feeding him out of the enclosure, but he just hopped onto the food and then hoped away from it. I found a vet that will deal with reptiles and I am going to hopefully get a hold of him/her tonight. I've been recommended to get a liquid diet from petsmart if worst comes to worst, but i want him to eat real food. I see no sign of any infections or anything, but he hasn't eating in about 2 weeks now. Could he be hibernating?

Nationality
    [Canada]

If his temps are at 80 I don't think he would be trying to hibernate. If he has an internal infection you are not going to be able to see it. I know some are more docile then others but him not trying to jump out of your hands at all when you pick up concerns me. My pacman frog was always burying herself and really slowed her eating and I thought the same thing. It turned out by the time I figured something wasn't right and brought her to vet that she now has edema and this cant be reversed. And I had my temps and humidity spot on and this made me believe there wasn't really anything wrong till she was blown up like a softball with water. That's why I asked if in your last post if under the chin was clear looking and swollen, that was what made me bring my frog in. I asked my vet if it could of gotten sick from being housed in improper conditions at petsmart and I just didn't notice the small signs and she said yes. So I would say your best bet is to make that appointment with the vet, if u feel something is not right, its always better to be safe then sorry. And if its a baby I would try and get the temp up to at least 82f if u can.
    Last edited by monster; January 2nd, 2015 at 02:16 PM. Reason: spelling mistakes

Thread Information