Thread: New pacman housing options

Default New pacman housing options

Hi guys I'm new to the forum and am interested in getting a pacman frog. Is it possible to house a pacman frog in a plastic sterility tub? I do the same thing with my snake to keep humidity in and was wondering if it was fine for frogs. Also is a heatpad the only source of heat I need if my house temps are normally around the mid 70's. I understand that I need to place it on the side.

Do pacmans need a temperature gradient? I've seen several people post their setups while using a che but that seems to affect the entire cage's ambient temps.

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: New pacman housing options

Welcome to the forum, I think u can have them in a tub but im not an expert so I would wait for a someone who knows abit more on that. For the heat pad if u can hit daytime temps of about 82f then you will be ok. If you get a baby its crucial that you hit that temp, and you only want it to drop a couple of degrees at night. There is an excellent care sheet in the forum about pacman frogs. If this is your first one I would suggest you read it.

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hi and welcome to the forum! Yes you can have them in a tub, as long as it is small enough for a baby and bigger for an adult and you can maintain temps and humidity, you are all good. In fact most breeders and keepers with more pacs keep them in a modular tub system, similar to snake tub system, only no belly heat for frogs
    as for temp gradient, don't need it, If you don't heat up the bottom ( soil).
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

I keep my pacs in plastic enclosures. But I heat my entire critter room to the 80-82 range so I dont need to heat enclosures individually. I imagine it would be difficult to heat the tub by itself. Maybe clamp a dome fixture with a dimmer switch onto something to it hangs a few inches about the enclosure.

A temp gradient isn't really nessecary with these frogs imo, they will go down to cool off rather than wander looking for a cooler places to sit. My big girl only moves once or twice a month.
    2.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0 Bufo americanus
    0.1.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Xenopus laevis

All my arachnids and other inverts listed in my profile

Nationality
    [Canada]

I have seen videos of people keeping them in the modular tub system but didn't know if it was proper so I didn't want the to say yes. And my girl never really moves either, and I got my tank setup so its 82f on one side and 79f on the other and she sits right in the middle pretty much. Not to hot, not to cold, right in the middle is perfect.

Thanks for the quick replies! I'm thinking about cutting a hole onto the top of the tub and placing mesh on it so i can place my heat lamp on top. The only problem with this is that it may kill my humidity...
    If I do use a heat pad, should i use the zoo med small one? Would that be sufficient enough to heat up the ambient temps to around 80? As I said my house temps range from around 73-77.

Nationality
    [United States]

Uth's really only raise temps a degree or 2. If the light is a few inches away from the enclosure it wont dry the air out quite as badly.
    2.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0 Bufo americanus
    0.1.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Xenopus laevis

All my arachnids and other inverts listed in my profile

Thread Information