Thread: The question of calcium.

Jace

Default The question of calcium.

Just wondering if the size of the frog dictates how much calcium it should get? Does the bigger the frog mean it should receive more calcium?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: The question of calcium.

I would speculate that its appetite does that for you. You dust the crickets, and then while a small frog would eat a few crickets and the calcium on them, a larger frog would eat more crickets, and therefore more calcium. I think it kind of takes care of itself?

I've read, though, that calcium dosing can be inconsistent. The surface area of a pinhead or a fruitfly means that it holds more calcium in relation to the "meat" of the insect than a larger feeder would. I'm not sure if there's anything in particular we should do about that possibility. I suppose, in theory, that this would mean we should be careful about how often we dust smaller feeders?

Jace

That does make sense. However, when it comes to my African Giant Bullfrogs, I tend to feed them their worms with feeding tongs. Each frog gets one large worm completely coated in calcium powder approximately twice a week. However, on thinking about it, Gherkin is twice the size of Obi, so does that mean he needs twice the amount of calcium in order to prevent deficiencies? Or maybe he is getting enough and Obi is getting too much? We know what happens when not enough calcium is given, but is there consequences if too much is given directly?

KennyDB

You might want to read this interesting article about malnutrition etc.
    http://www.ambystoma.de/html/axolotl/axolotl_mbd.html

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

That's a great description of MBD. If I read Jo-Anna's post right, it sounds like she knows about it, and is just making sure she's giving enough calcium to the type of frogs that she has.

Jo-Anna, when you say one's bigger, do you mean it's fatter-bigger, or actually bigger? If it's just fatter, I wouldn't worry about upping its food, but if it's older and a larger frog, it might need to be eating more than the other, smaller frog. If he's "meaty," then he's probably getting enough food. I'm sure someone else who has the species can chime in with more specific feeding/calcium recommendations.

SethD

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    That does make sense. However, when it comes to my African Giant Bullfrogs, I tend to feed them their worms with feeding tongs. Each frog gets one large worm completely coated in calcium powder approximately twice a week. However, on thinking about it, Gherkin is twice the size of Obi, so does that mean he needs twice the amount of calcium in order to prevent deficiencies? Or maybe he is getting enough and Obi is getting too much? We know what happens when not enough calcium is given, but is there consequences if too much is given directly?

Earth worms tend to have a good calcium ratio anyway so your probably good. Yes it is possible to over dose on calcium with D3 in it but no more than your are doing it shouldn't be an issue for either frog. Overdosing on calcium tends to only occur when people feed frequently(like daily) and dust at every feeding. Even then you can sometimes get away with it in growing frogs.

Jace

Rereading my post, it sounds like I don't feed my frogs very much, but I do! Honest. I feed my African Giant Bullfrogs several times a week (it fluctuates depending on whether they are hibernating and whatnot) and at least twice a week, they get one fully covered calcium worm along with however many other worms they want to eat at that time. For instance, last night, Gherkin ate a total of 8 worms, one of which was calcium covered. Obi, being a smaller female, usually eats about three worms at a sitting, one of which is calcium coated and Kadesh, being inbetween the two, eats 4-6 with one worm coated. None of them show signs of MBD or being overdosed. I was just curious if the size of the frog should dictate how much or how often.

Thanks for the feedback, though.

I don't think any of my frogs are obese; Gherkin was actually underweight when I got him, so I have put a lot of effort into getting him rounder and full of nutrious worms and crickets. On their "birthdays" they get a special frozen pinky mouse, and once a month they get a few mealworms, otherwise worms and crickets are their staple.

Thread Information