Thread: My New Frog Jabba!

KAWiggy

Default My New Frog Jabba!

Hi all,

I am new to the forum and new to amphibians. After weeks of research and youtube videos my husband took advantage of my ogling or just got tired of my "watch this video" or "did you know.." and got me a Pacman frog for Christmas. He took me to the pet store to pick out Christmas toys for our dog and cats and instead said okay pick out everything you need for a Pacman frog. I had been eying this Pacman for some time. I was originally attracted by curiosity and then even more so by the deplorable conditions he/she was in. My Pacman, now named Jabba, was being kept in the smallest sized critter keeper with only substrate. The substrate was only a 1/2 inch deep and completely saturated to the extent that the environment was swamp-ish. The critter keeper was inside another 10 gallon tank which housed a water dragon. He was under incandescent lights, covered in mud (I couldn't tell his/her colors until I brought him/her home), and had 6-8 large crickets crawling all over him/her.

Anyways, the good news. I have had Jabba for 4 days now and he seems to be doing well. After bringing him home, he completely soaked up 2 water dishes of water within the first hour he was in his new tank. He buried himself shortly after that and re-emerged yesterday. I took him out of his tank, wearing wet powder free/latex free gloves, to feed him. He ate a cut up nightcrawler and one large cricket. He once again buried himself and now he is out again chilling in his water dish and making a mess. :-) He pooped and now I think he is shedding. He is sitting in his water dish and he keeps puffing up and opening his mouth and then scraping his face with his front feet.

I think I have his habitat the way it needs to be but I have one question. I have read some posts that talk about covering three sides of the tank. Do I need to do this? He is housed in our spare bed room alone. Neither the cats nor dog is allowed in that particular bedroom. We keep it pet free for visiting guests. Thank you. This is a great forum. I would have been lost on a few things without reading some of you guys' very informative post and care guides.

Here is a picture of Jabba. His light is on so it's a little hard to see. Thanks all.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: My New Frog Jabba!

Sometimes covering the sides of the tank makes them feel more secure. If the frog is in a low-traffic area and he's eating well I'd say it's not necessary. I've never covered the sides of the tank for mine.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0 Litoria caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Python regius
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Everything seems going well for you and congrats on a frog! I suggest you do a fecal testing for the guy to avoid possible problems down the road, either at the vet or lab that you can send samples to.

I very strongly suggest to cover the 3 sides of the tank even though it's in low traffic. or at least the back wall if there is stuff on a sides that covers the glass. You can get that cling fish tank background, they can cut for you in stores, it's cheap and looks nice.
    It would look better for you and a frog will feel better. In open spaces they tend to stress out easy, they see a room through the glass and feel that big space... It might get really scary for the guy

welcome to the forum!
    Last edited by Lija; December 26th, 2014 at 01:45 PM.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

I didn't think about it, but mine has always been against a wall on one side and bordered by other tanks on two sides, so it's really like there are three sides covered or partially covered..
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0 Litoria caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Python regius
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis

Thread Information