Thread: Kirby the frog wont eat.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Kirby the frog wont eat.

I tried to feed him just about anything that hes been eating, but he just wont eat. He usually goes crazy for crickets but when I got them for him he only ate 3 of 6 and the other 3 that were in his enclosure just died and didn't get eating. I had him for a warm bath in the sink not to long ago, but it didn't fix anything. He's also been berrying himself completely. Please give me any advise, i'm starting to get worried, he hasn't ate for about a week now.

1. Size of enclosure- a 5 gallon fish tank
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences- Just him.
    3. Humidity-About 80 every day.
    4. Temperature- 75 to 80 degrees.
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish- ​Well water or reverse osmosis water.
    6. Materials used for substrate-Ecomed Eco Earth (duh)
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials.
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.- He has 2 hanging plants and 1 normal that he likes to hide under, a house and the water dish.
    8. Main food source- The diet is varied.
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often)-Calsium everyday with vitamins every week.
    10. Lighting- Normal daylight from the window, or light from heatlamp.
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure,- Heat lamp.
    12. When is the last time he/she ate- This morning but very little.
    13. Have you found poop lately-Yes
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    15. Describe frog's symptoms and/or recent physical changes; to include it's ventral/belly area.
    16. How old is the frog-Maybe 1 year now.
    17. How long have you owned him/her- About 6 mouths
    18. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred-From local petsmart
    19. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats- Hornworms or freeze dried incects.
    20. How often the frog is handled- Rarely
    21. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area?- low
    22. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc)- ​Water changes almost every day and full change probably every month.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Kirby the frog wont eat.

Please make very clear exactly what kind of frog you are referring to. Based on the description am i right in assuming it is a pacman frog?

1. How large is the frog? Depending on size it may be time to upgrade to a 10 gallon tank

4. Make sure those temps are 80-83 during the day and 75-77 at night or at least have a difference between the two times

5. Reverse osmosis water does not provide the vital electrolytes that your frog needs. Use dechlorinated tap water instead. I would treat well water as well just in case there are chemicals present.

7. Make sure the bark is not small enough for your frog to swallow and become impacted

9. I think that calcium everyday might be too much. I use calcium every other feeding and multivitamins once a week. But I'm not sure if every day is going overboard at this stage

16. A year old frog might be ready to reduce feeding to every other day. This may be why she is eating less.

19. Think of hornworms like doughnuts to frogs. Feed them very sparsely. Freeze dried insects have no nutritional value whatsoever. They just take up space.

Please upload a picture of the frog and the enclosure

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: Kirby the frog wont eat.

Hello, he could be just slowing down for the winter. Do you notice anything else off appearance wise? I know lately there has been a lot of threads on here asking the same question so if nothing else is off that may be what it is. You said he ate a little today, how much is a little? And if it is something else some of the contributing factors could be the the temps and water. If im correct his day temps should be about 82 and night time should only drop a couple of degrees. My tank during the day is 82 on the hot and 79 on the cold and at night I only let it drop to 80 on the warm and 77 on the cold. If they told you at petsmart that they can be left at room temps or 75 is ok they are crazy. And I know this because my pacman frog has just been diagnosed with edema due to poor housing conditions and I got her from petsmart. And the other thing that stands out is the r/o water, it is not good for them at all. It leaches all good minerals and stuff the frog needs out of them. Well water im not sure about.

Nationality
    [Canada]

He hasn't had any freeze dried crickets in a long long time and hornworms are a snack thing. He hasn't had any reverse osmosis water in a while to. He might need a bigger enclosure, but would that really effect him eating? Also, I haven't changed his ecoearth in a little bit, could that be a problem?

Nationality
    [Canada]

Some pictures of him
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Nationality
    [Canada]

When you say you haven't changed his substrate in awhile how long do you mean? Yes the tank size may have something to do with it, if it feels to small for him it will stress him out and then he wont want to eat. This is just a question, does he appear to look swollen at all? And im only asking because in the first picture under his chin kinda looks abit puffy and clear looking, not the nice white it should be. It may just be the picture, but thought I would ask.

Nationality
    [Canada]

By in a while i mean sense i got him to be honest. His chin seems to be fatty but it is white, not clear, i think its just the water making it look like that.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Ok, so if im correct in your trouble in the enclosure answers you say you have owned your frog for about 6 months. And if u haven't changed your substrate since you got him then I would say that could be playing a big part. Im no pro but if you have him in 5 gallon tank that's not very big and even though you pick up his poo his pee is in the substrate. So if im right with the first part, by now he is sitting in his own urine. I would change his substrate ASAP, that is way to long. He may have contracted a bacterial infection or something.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Eli already gave you good advice . Day temps need to be 28-29C with a degree or 2 drop at night.

Water needs to be dechlorinated tap. If using well water, make sure dechlorinator neutralizes heavy metals (i.e. Seachem Prime or ExoTerra Aquatize). Do not soak frog in any house sink exposed to human used chemicals (soap, cleaners, toothpaste, etc.)! You are slowly poisoning your frog by doing so; use a plastic critter keeper or small bowl with holed-up top.

Feeders should not be left to roam in enclosure; if not eaten within couple hours or next morning if feeding at night; remove them. Freeze dried insects should not be fed to frogs. They have digestive issues handling FD foods. Please read this article for more care information: Frog Forum - Pacman and Horned Frogs - Ceratophrys - Care and Breeding. Good luck!
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [Canada]

Hi again Carlos I thought the same thing about the sink. I thought I actually put something in one of my replies about it but I guess I obviously forgot.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Thanks Carlos, I rinsed the sink out and wiped it with a cloth before putting him in but i won't put him in there anymore. I'm sure i got something big enough for him to soak in. Is there any other methods of feeding that you would suggest? I know some people put him in a different cage for feeding. Thanks for the advise guys, a bigger tank and new substrate are coming his way

Nationality
    [Canada]

Update, Kirby is now in a bigger terrarium (13 gallon) with new substrate. Merry christmas to him . I'm hoping he will be eating once he gets settled in his new enclosure. Thanks guys.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Glad to hear you got him a bigger home, one suggestion is if you already haven't covered the sides I would cover at least 3 sides. Im just suggesting it because I noticed from your last pictures you didn't have anything on the sides of the tank. They say it really stresses them out. Anyway merry Christmas and hope your froggy starts eating for you.

Thread Information