Thread: Green Tree Frog Activity?

Justin144

Default Green Tree Frog Activity?

So i am planning on building a vivarium out of my 12x12x18 zoo med. I love Dart Frogs but their a little to much $$ for me at the moment. I always liked Green Tree Frogs. BUT I really dont want to get a frog that sleeps on the glass all day and will keep me up at night (Tanks in my bedroom).

So my question. Will the Green tree frog really sleep all day and be boring to look at? I want a frog i can look at in the day. something not nocturnal. But something that will be happy in a 12x12x18 as i am limited on space.

Thanks for any info and help.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Green Tree Frog Activity?

I had a pet Green tree frog a long time ago, and didn't find him boring at all. Like all tree frogs (as far as I know) he was nocturnal, but he wasn't completely inactive during the day, I don't think (it was a very long time ago).

I personally think that a 12x12x18 is probably a little small for a Green. I kept mine in a 20 gallon tank, and that's about as small as I'd go with this species.

If you want active during the day, you pretty much have to go with dart frogs or mantellas (or a few that are even more expensive).

For what your saying that you want, and with the available space, I would consider going with a pair of thumbnail dart frogs (there are a few types that are relatively inexpensive). Another possibility might be getting a couple of Bumblebee Toads. They have CB ones, relatively inexpensive, at Josh's Frogs right now, and their space requirements are very modest. I know Green tree frogs are cheaper, but it doesn't sound like they are really what you would want.

Good luck, and hope you can find something that you will enjoy keeping.
    0.0.6 Hyla versicolor
    7.0.0 Dendropsophus leucophyllatus
    2.0.0 Homo sapiens sapiens (K & C, the *other* froglets)

"Cleansed in the finest quality spring water, lightly killed, and then sealed in a succulent Swiss quintuple smooth treble cream milk chocolate envelope, and lovingly frosted with glucose."

Green Tree Frogs(Hyla cinerea) are a great little tree frog to start out with. Unfortunately, like what was mentioned before, they are nocturnal so you won't see much activity during the day unless you feed them at this time, especially with crickets.

Crunchy Frog is right about the vivarium size. It's okay with young frogs but as they mature they will need more room. 20 gallon tall is the way to go. Also, if you plan on using any live plants in the enclosure choose ones that are strong and have broad leaves. Mature Green Tree frogs can really tromp all over live plants.

You are in luck because I believe all Petcos are going to be having their $1.00 a gallon sale starting on December 28.

Good Luck!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hello and welcome to FF Justin ! Sorry but for that vivarium size your choices are hard to match. Even for Darts/Mantellas we recommend a larger (18x18x24 for climbers and 18x18x18 for terrestrials) enclosure as a permanent home. Reason for extra height is that you will loose around 6 in. height from drainage/false bottom and soil/leaves layers .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Thread Information