Thread: Which bulb for a 30 gallon tank?

TwoSixSided

Default Which bulb for a 30 gallon tank?

Hey guys, I'm trying to get everything sorted out before ordering a ABF. I will be purchasing a 30 gallon tank tomorrow and have a heating question since that topic seems to confuse me the most. I'm planning on buying a dome fixture from Amazon, but I'm not sure which bulb will keep the tank between 80-82 degrees or so. The house is mostly always 74-77 degrees, and I will be using eco earth and tape half of the tanks top to keep humidity in, and the dome fixture will be right over the big water bowl I intend on putting in. I plan on turning it off at night for the drop in temperature, or is that to drastic of a drop?

This is the fixture I plan on buying if it makes a difference, http://www.amazon.com/Zilla-11596-Pr...=reptile+light

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Which bulb for a 30 gallon tank?

You don't need that huge of a fixture, 5,5" with a dimmer is enough. And get 60w ceramic heat emitter or 50w infrared lamp.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

TwoSixSided

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    You don't need that huge of a fixture, 5,5" with a dimmer is enough. And get 60w ceramic heat emitter or 50w infrared lamp.
    Thank you Lija, so the 5.5" won't have any issues using a 60w ceramic heat emitter and will make the whole tank over 80 degrees? I can't find any people in the Amazon reviews saying they do that.

If you have a dimmer, overheating shouldn't be a problem.

Honestly, I have trouble keeping my 29G at the correct temperatures. I needed two lights to keep both sides warm enough.

Also, I don't know if I would turn the light off completely at night for a temperature drop. That might be a bit much. That's where the dimmer comes in handy.

TwoSixSided

Thank you Kickinwing, I'm thinking I will buy the 100W ceramic heat emitter, I picked up a Flukers clamp lamp today with a dimmer, so if it's too hot I believe I should be able to fine tune it.

No problem.

Also, something I wish I knew before I bought mine...They eat like CRAZY! I'm not trying to discourage you from getting one, I just wish I knew how much they really ate before I bought one. If I could do it over, I would have started some sort of feeder colony before I bought my mine.

TwoSixSided

Quote Originally Posted by Kickinwing View Post
    No problem.

Also, something I wish I knew before I bought mine...They eat like CRAZY! I'm not trying to discourage you from getting one, I just wish I knew how much they really ate before I bought one. If I could do it over, I would have started some sort of feeder colony before I bought my mine.
    Thanks again Kickin! I'm trying to find one that's a little bit older though because I really want a big male. If I were to get a female then I feel like I might as well have gotten another pacman frog, so I don't want to risk it by getting a baby that I don't know what sex it is.

Yuromastic

Quote Originally Posted by TwoSixSided View Post
    Thanks again Kickin! I'm trying to find one that's a little bit older though because I really want a big male. If I were to get a female then I feel like I might as well have gotten another pacman frog, so I don't want to risk it by getting a baby that I don't know what sex it is.

It's not very easy to find adults for sale and when you do find an adult male expect to pay several hundred dollars for it. They require a LOT of food to grow big. On the flip side, they grow ridiculously fast so that little baby will be a beastly thing in just a couple months. You could raise up several little ones till you can sex them and then sell off the ones you don't want to keep. I kind of had your attitude to start, but even a big, fat, plump female trying to rip your tongs out of your fingers has a fun appeal to it.

TwoSixSided

Quote Originally Posted by Yuromastic View Post
    It's not very easy to find adults for sale and when you do find an adult male expect to pay several hundred dollars for it. They require a LOT of food to grow big. On the flip side, they grow ridiculously fast so that little baby will be a beastly thing in just a couple months. You could raise up several little ones till you can sex them and then sell off the ones you don't want to keep. I kind of had your attitude to start, but even a big, fat, plump female trying to rip your tongs out of your fingers has a fun appeal to it.
    Thanks Yuro, I suppose you are definitely right. I cannot find hardly any trace of adult frogs for sale anywhere on the internet. I'll just have to risk it and hope! Maybe when I actually see my frog grow up I won't care what sex it is after all, I wonder how other members of the forum feel about females.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

...I'm thinking I will buy the 100W ceramic heat emitter, I picked up a Flukers clamp lamp today with a dimmer, so if it's too hot I believe I should be able to fine tune it.
    You can use the 100W CHE as long as your light fixture/dimmer or on line thermostat is rated for it.

...I cannot find hardly any trace of adult frogs for sale anywhere on the internet. I'll just have to risk it and hope! Maybe when I actually see my frog grow up I won't care what sex it is after all, I wonder how other members of the forum feel about females.
    Watching an African Bullfrog growing is fun and can bond you to it. It really does not matter if it turns out female or even not a giant species. Mine is full grown 4 in. male with both Giant and Dwarf traits. Fits in a 29G fine and feeding it night crawlers does not break the bank. Behavior wise it's all GABF and attacks the cleaning gear or tongs while I service tank or feed it.

If purchasing baby GABF recommend LLL Reptile since from feedback it pretty much guarantees you will get a GABF. Also; if you want a male and get a female; it's easy to sell/trade those as adults and you can get another baby and try again .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

TwoSixSided

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    You can use the 100W CHE as long as your light fixture/dimmer or on line thermostat is rated for it.

Watching an African Bullfrog growing is fun and can bond you to it. It really does not matter if it turns out female or even not a giant species. Mine is full grown 4 in. male with both Giant and Dwarf traits. Fits in a 29G fine and feeding it night crawlers does not break the bank. Behavior wise it's all GABF and attacks the cleaning gear or tongs while I service tank or feed it.

If purchasing baby GABF recommend LLL Reptile since from feedback it pretty much guarantees you will get a GABF. Also; if you want a male and get a female; it's easy to sell/trade those as adults and you can get another baby and try again .
    Thank you for such helpful advice Carlos/Mentat! on lllreptile it's called the south african pixie frog, is that what I'm looking for? I haven't seen it called that on other sites. Might be a dumb question.

Thread Information