Thread: Regarding hibernation

Default Regarding hibernation

Recently its gotten quite cold in my house from the winter, a couple of days ago my baby toad went from really energetic, to barely moving. The adult seems fine and as responsive as ever. When feeding time came, the adult ate the little one didnt even blink an eye at the crickets, instead she peed twice and crunched into a ball and swelled up trying to look bigger. I put her back in her cage and she just sits in her water, eyes half closed. Shes out of her water now but.. I was wondering if shes in hibernation mode? I figured if she was hibernating shed burrow and not sit in her water, im worried about her. Shes been like this for three days.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Regarding hibernation

Hibernation is a worrisome time for frog keepers. They will bury themselves and may not eat for days or even weeks. As long as your pet looks healthy - eating and pooping well prior to hibernation, it should be OK. However once things warm up, then the frog will be energetic again. If you can gives us more information on the toad, we can be able to assist you better.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

Well, the whole thing was I was trying to ask if sitting in the water and being slow and groggy is normal hibernation behavior, or if it was a sign that something else was wrong. She wasn't a burrower; I had never seen her burrow. I'm pretty positive she was a buffo american baby, and I gave all the information I could. She stopped eating, she sat in her water for days, with her eyes half closed, and refused to eat anything. I'm assuming since she was caught in the wild it may have been a disease or an infection of some sort. or maybe she was constipated. She had been pooping regularly but I hadn't seen one recently. Tried the warm water trick and nothing. She just stopped being overly responsive. I also read putting them in the refrigerator helps in hibernation, but that.....I was a little hesitant with that.

She's dead now, I checked in on her last night and she was stiff and not moving. I cried. I'm going to be burying her. Not sure where I went wrong, Dusted baby crickets, gut loaded with carrots, new water every day and lots of fresh soil and places to hide.

My Adult seems to be doing fine, but the baby has died. Thanks for your reply, even if it was a little late.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Sorry to hear of your loss
    Toads generally favor more dryer surroundings and being in water constantly maybe a sign of problems. Wild caught amphibians are not easy to keep, they often have diseases or parasites that are difficult to diagnose or some injury that can be fatal. I keep my non-aquatic frogs and toads in a bed of sphagnum moss with good results.

Thread Information