Thread: Alternate Disnfectant to Bleach...?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Question Alternate Disnfectant to Bleach...?

Just read in the book "Tree Frogs" by Devin Edmonds (TFH 2007) that Clorhexidine can be used to disinfect frog enclosures...? Just wanted to double check that before using it.
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Alternate Disnfectant to Bleach...?

Hi Lisa,

This is a great question and topic for discussion.

I understand how the chlorhexidine works ( being in the medical field for 35 years).
    I have not recently been aware of the form in which it is currently available for this use = cleaning the frog enclosures. I thought is was something that had to be mixed? Not sure
    I'm replying to this, your post, w/ out any recent research on it use for this purpose.

Chlorhexidine is a commonly used ingredient in frequently used 'human' products. ie mouthwash and cosmetics.

I'm not equating this with this being safe for frogs. However, I will assume Mr Edmonds knows what he is talking about.

My first thought is does it have the same affect on the other bugs ( viral ones ) such as those that cause nasties for our frogs? I do recall it has no affect on many 'human' viruses.

Simply put-when the chlorhexidine comes in contact with a bacterial cell wall, or example, it disrupts the cell growth resulting in 'cell death' and is use in specific concentrations for a specific bacteria etc.

My 2 cents:
    When I clean (disinfect) an enclosure, I fill the entire tank with a 1:10 ( household) bleach solution/let it sit/repeat the fill /add de-chlorinator/ fill again to RINSE RINSE RINSE. There is nothing than can survive this ! For the larger tanks --- I carry them out to the driveway. It could be done in the shower or bathtub?

Of course this process should never be used for any decor that is porous. ie such as wood

Some day, I will have to disinfect 2- 36" H exos ( currently housing Agalychnis species). I don't know how I'll do that!

I know I'll call Michael Novy- first. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rainf...ation=timeline I would recommend (you might) do the same.

He is an expert ! Pick is brain.There's a ton of really great information in there

Lynn
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

4. This member thanks flybyferns for this post:

Nationality
    [Czech_Republic]

Hello, have you thought about hydrogen peroxide, I'm using it when I have to disinfect something in my aquariums like new roots, plants or de-algaeing filter tubes.
    0.0.15 Epipedobates tricolor frogsies
    0.0.2 Dendrobates leucomelas

6. This member thanks Ssyx for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by flybyferns View Post
    Hi Lisa,

This is a great question and topic for discussion.

I understand how the chlorhexidine works ( being in the medical field for 35 years).
    I have not recently been aware of the form in which it is currently available for this use = cleaning the frog enclosures. I thought is was something that had to be mixed? Not sure
    I'm replying to this, your post, w/ out any recent research on it use for this purpose.

Chlorhexidine is a commonly used ingredient in frequently used 'human' products. ie mouthwash and cosmetics.

I'm not equating this with this being safe for frogs. However, I will assume Mr Edmonds knows what he is talking about.

My first thought is does it have the same affect on the other bugs ( viral ones ) such as those that cause nasties for our frogs? I do recall it has no affect on many 'human' viruses.

Simply put-when the chlorhexidine comes in contact with a bacterial cell wall, or example, it disrupts the cell growth resulting in 'cell death' and is use in specific concentrations for a specific bacteria etc.

My 2 cents:
    When I clean (disinfect) an enclosure, I fill the entire tank with a 1:10 ( household) bleach solution/let it sit/repeat the fill /add de-chlorinator/ fill again to RINSE RINSE RINSE. There is nothing than can survive this ! For the larger tanks --- I carry them out to the driveway. It could be done in the shower or bathtub?

Of course this process should never be used for any decor that is porous. ie such as wood

Some day, I will have to disinfect 2- 36" H exos ( currently housing Agalychnis species). I don't know how I'll do that!

I know I'll call Michael Novy- first. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rainf...ation=timeline I would recommend (you might) do the same.

He is an expert ! Pick is brain.There's a ton of really great information in there

Lynn
    My experience came with it from helping my sister treat a horse with giardiasis many many years ago. She was a young mostly white Paint mare and had the spatters to the point she was galling on the sensitive skin of her... well, ALL of her sensitive skin in the hind region right down between her thighs. You can imagine how miserable that would be! We used Clorhexidine surgical scrub right off the shelf at the local farm store and used that as a wash on her; we also used it to disinfect the bucket and sponge and other items that were used for washing her. We did rinse her afterwards and did not leave the Clorhexidine on her skin; we followed the bath up with baby oil.

I have terrible issues with the bleach myself, even with gloves, and the fumes bother me since I have asthma. We have a small apartment so when I use bleach it permeates the whole place and reeks of it for days afterwards it seems I don't remember having the same problems with the Chorhexidine, and don't even think I used gloves with it (don't remember that part though) so was very interested when I read about using it to disinfect tanks. Now, I don't know that it would work against coccidia, but I agree that with regular deep cleaning of tanks it's worth looking into!

Will definitely check with Mike Novy. Thanks
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ssyx View Post
    Hello, have you thought about hydrogen peroxide, I'm using it when I have to disinfect something in my aquariums like new roots, plants or de-algaeing filter tubes.
    I have actually used hydrogen peroxide, salt and vinegar when cleaning a brand new tank before use and I haven't had any problems with that For hospital and QT tanks, though, especially if the frogs in them have a problem with parasites, I'd want to take extra measures. Hydrogen peroxide, or a rinse of vinegar and/or lemon juice with salt in water are great for wiping down the outside of glass or counter tops too.
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Here's what Mike said!

Rainforestjunkies.com/rainforestjunkys.com Yes that is what i use just make sure you rinse thoroughly with warm water. It is sold as virosan.

So looks like Clorhexidine is good to go!
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Exclamation Re: Alternate Disnfectant to Bleach...?

Well, crud. Just found some more info, and Clorhexidine products are NOT effective against coccidia and giardia oocysts, so bummer if someone has a protozoa problem with their frogs, like I do

I would use Clorhexidine on brand new, never-used tanks, etc., but if something has been used or purchased 2nd hand I would stick to the 10% bleach solution; thing is this article I found Disinfectants says that bleach is not effective against giardia-- does this mean it's not effective against coccidia either? Seeing they are both protozoan in nature?

IMPORTANT NOTE! The article in the link was written specifically with Bearded Dragons in mind, and some of these disinfectants CANNOT be used around amphibians! I know this about the Pine-Sol type cleaners in particular, but don't have knowledge of some of the other listed products, so would definitely triple check with a vet experienced in frog/amphibian care before using them!

Here's another Herp article on disinfectants and cleaners http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Rept...Reptile-Cages/
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Thread Information