Thread: multiple tree frog species in same tank?

100+ Post Member
    Member needs to set country!

Default multiple tree frog species in same tank?

im planning a tank for some tree frogs im planning to have Hyla cinerea(green tree frog)and some Hyla versicolor(grey tree frog).can these frogs get along?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: multiple tree frog species in same tank?

The question isn't whether they'll get along, because if they're the same size they might, but whether they'll eventually make each other sick. Frog species have different levels/kinds of toxic substances in their skin and constantly being exposed to an unfamiliar toxin can hurt frogs.

100+ Post Member

well their both hyla species so i would assume that they have the same toxins.

You can't assume that they have the same toxins just because they're both hylids. As far as I know, no two species have the exact same toxins.

I had a Hyla cinerea once, a long, long time ago, and I currently have six juvie Hyla versicolors. In my experience, and from everything that I've read about their habitat preferences, I would not try to keep them together. Green Tree Frogs actually like to live in marshes and swamps, and I kept mine in a mostly aquatic environment (with a large potted plant, and a couple of good climbing branches). Grey Tree Frogs live in trees in forests, and only go to the water for breeding. In my experience, they need less water and lower humidity.

My Green Tree Frog did share his tank with a couple of aquatic newts (which are highly toxic) and, temporarily with a couple of bullfrog tadpoles/baby bullfrogs. This was nearly 30 years ago, though, and long before I knew about the importance of not mixing species. He lived for a few years, but eventually got sick and died. I have no idea whether the newts' toxins were a contributing factor. I would not try to mix species like that today, knowing what I now know.

My suggestion would be to decide on one species you would like to work with, learn everything you can about its natural habitat and requirements, and set them up with something that matches them as closely as possible, and then if you would like to work with the other species as well, do the same for them. I think that would be much more satisfying in the end.
    0.0.6 Hyla versicolor
    7.0.0 Dendropsophus leucophyllatus
    2.0.0 Homo sapiens sapiens (K & C, the *other* froglets)

"Cleansed in the finest quality spring water, lightly killed, and then sealed in a succulent Swiss quintuple smooth treble cream milk chocolate envelope, and lovingly frosted with glucose."

6. 2 members thank Crunchy Frog for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

The frog species mixing topic has been beaten to death many times over in forum. The fact you are asking "can it be done" or "how to do it" ... is a clear and imminent danger sign . Stick to one species per enclosure and enjoy your pet frogs .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

8. 3 members thank Mentat for this post:

100+ Post Member

well the main reason i asked this was because i saw my teacher do it in a 10 gallon tank with the same frogs.i never thought of mixing frog species before this.i shall let her know tomorrow and i shall show her this site and this thread.and i shall get two 10 gallon tanks and put some in each tank.also how many would you recommend in each tank?according to these websites American green tree frog - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Gray tree frog - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia i think that 3 green tree frogs in one and 4 grey tree frogs in the other would be about right for the tanks.

10 gallons would be the absolute minimum I'd use for one adult of either species. And that's assuming it's vertical and well planted, and I'd probably still feel guilty. For 3 or 4 frogs, I'd use at least a 30 gallon tall tank. Larger would be better.

These are probably the 2 species that people have kept together successfully the most often. I still wouldn't do it unless I had a tank I could comfortably fit in (I do fit in my H. versicolor tank but my H. cinerea ​still gets a tank of his own)

I personally wouldn't keep an adult of either species in anything smaller than a twenty gallon. I would consider ten gallons acceptable only for quarantining, or for babies. Both species get to be fairly good sized adults, and are active and lively. You won't get to enjoy watching their full range of behaviors in such a tiny setup, and I doubt that they would have much of a quality of life.

Also, I would not believe everything you read on the internet, as there is lots of bad information out there. Wikipedia can be especially unreliable. I think the best source of info is sites like this that have lots of people with real life experience keeping these animals.
    0.0.6 Hyla versicolor
    7.0.0 Dendropsophus leucophyllatus
    2.0.0 Homo sapiens sapiens (K & C, the *other* froglets)

"Cleansed in the finest quality spring water, lightly killed, and then sealed in a succulent Swiss quintuple smooth treble cream milk chocolate envelope, and lovingly frosted with glucose."

100+ Post Member

well i guess i'll wait til i can free up some more space then i shall be back on this forum.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by brian c View Post
    well i guess i'll wait til i can free up some more space then i shall be back on this forum.
    you can get cheap used exo terra 18 cubes for 40$ on internet... good for 2-3 green tree frogs
    50$ for 18x18x24 which are the #1 most perfect size tank for pretty much any frog in the hobby! good for 2-3 gray tree frogs

but yeah, as a beginner, you really do not want to mix frogs... there are absolutely no pros for the frogs, only cons.
    after a couple years of successfully taking care of your animal then maybe you can start exploring.

Thread Information