Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: The 5 Worst Reptiles & Amphibians to Choose as Holiday Gifts

  1. #1
    findiviglio
    Guest

    Default The 5 Worst Reptiles & Amphibians to Choose as Holiday Gifts

    Hi, Frank Indiviglio here. I’m a herpetologist, zoologist, and book author, recently retired from a career spent at several zoos, aquariums, and museums, including over20 years with the Bronx Zoo
    Choosing a live amphibian or a reptile as a holiday gift may be a nice gesture, but it is also fraught with potential problems. Please see The Five Best Reptiles and Amphibians to Choose as Holiday Gifts for further cautions and ideas (The 5 Best Reptiles and Amphibians to Choose as Holiday Gifts). General considerations aside, certain species are almost always a bad idea…even when the recipient has some experience. Unfortunately, many of these “bad choices” are promoted as being easy-to-care-for, and indeed all have some very desirable qualities. In the right hands, some can make great, long-lived pets – but, unfortunately, the “right hands” are often few and far between. Read the rest of this article here The 5 Worst Reptiles and Amphibians to Choose as Holiday Gifts | That Reptile Blog
    Please also check out my posts on Twitter http://bitly.com/JP27Nj and Facebook http://on.fb.me/KckP1m

    My Bio, with photos of animals I’ve been lucky enough to work with: That Pet Place Welcomes Frank Indiviglio | That Reptile Blog

    Best Regards, Frank

  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
     

  3. #2
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    Quincy IL
    Posts
    2,505
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

    Default Re: The 5 Worst Reptiles & Amphibians to Choose as Holiday Gifts

    Excellent read Frank! Thank you for sharing!
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Blue Jeans' (2014 Nicaragua Import)
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Chirique Grande' F1
    1.1.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Citronella'
    1.2.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Azureus'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'Sipaliwini'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'New River'
    0.0.4 - D. Tinctorius 'Leucomelas'
    0.0.4 - Terribilis 'Mint'
    1.1.0 - R. Ventrimaculatus 'French Guiana'

    Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/hashtagfrogs
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgC...sEZiZQoT8sOuuw

  4. #3
    Member Pacou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    Springfield
    Posts
    55

    Default Re: The 5 Worst Reptiles & Amphibians to Choose as Holiday Gifts

    I learned the hard way on a few of these

    Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

  5. #4
    findiviglio
    Guest

    Default Re: The 5 Worst Reptiles & Amphibians to Choose as Holiday Gifts

    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalPunk View Post
    Excellent read Frank! Thank you for sharing!
    Very kind of you to say, thanks!

  6. #5
    100+ Post Member Strider18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Posts
    790

    Default Re: The 5 Worst Reptiles & Amphibians to Choose as Holiday Gifts

    Many of these things most new pet owners aren't aware of. Always research extensively and ask expert keepers before you purchase, it helps a ton and can help more animals live long, healthy lives.

    0.0.1 PCf
    Soon to come 0.0.4 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.1.0 Pseudacris regilla (r.i.p. Green Beauty)
    0.0.1 Bufo boreas boreas? (r.i.p. )
    0.0.4 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Powder Blue'

  7. #6
    Moderator LilyPad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,445
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

    Default Re: The 5 Worst Reptiles & Amphibians to Choose as Holiday Gifts

    Another great read My brother got an iguana for his birthday when we were kids. Oh man, we were not prepared for the size or strength of her as she grew, not to mention the aggression. I regularly had welts on my legs from her tail whips, only got bit once, you learn after the first time LOL. She ended up being mostly a free roaming iguana because she continually busted out of her cage. She loved sunbathing with the cat. She did not live a long healthy life though, despite constant vet visits, because of the limited information we were given. It was unfortunate. She ended up dying from kidney failure due to poor diet.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

    0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"



  8. #7
    findiviglio
    Guest

    Default Re: The 5 Worst Reptiles & Amphibians to Choose as Holiday Gifts

    Quote Originally Posted by LilyPad View Post
    Another great read My brother got an iguana for his birthday when we were kids. Oh man, we were not prepared for the size or strength of her as she grew, not to mention the aggression. I regularly had welts on my legs from her tail whips, only got bit once, you learn after the first time LOL. She ended up being mostly a free roaming iguana because she continually busted out of her cage. She loved sunbathing with the cat. She did not live a long healthy life though, despite constant vet visits, because of the limited information we were given. It was unfortunate. She ended up dying from kidney failure due to poor diet.
    Thanks very much, Amy! Your experience was all too common - I recall young ones being given away free with the purchase of a 10 gallon tank! Best regards, Frank

  9. #8
    Member Pacou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    Springfield
    Posts
    55

    Default Re: The 5 Worst Reptiles & Amphibians to Choose as Holiday Gifts

    I enjoyed reading this my first two were the iguana and res they grow quick my iguana was eventually moved into a enclosure me and my dad converted a wall into a enclosure heated humidity safe he was big and grumpy he died when he was 6 yrs old I was at school and little brother got into my room and opened the enclosure and he met are dog I was furious needless to say I'm going to eventually get another one when I've got space and not an apartment

    Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

  10. #9
    Moderator Mentat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA USA
    Posts
    5,939
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

    Default Re: The 5 Worst Reptiles & Amphibians to Choose as Holiday Gifts

    And many become invasive species or die due to weather when owners decide to release them due to size or aggressiveness .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

  11. #10
    findiviglio
    Guest

    Default Re: The 5 Worst Reptiles & Amphibians to Choose as Holiday Gifts

    Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    And many become invasive species or die due to weather when owners decide to release them due to size or aggressiveness .
    Hi Carlos,

    Yes...see nore re red eared slider intros - they are in dozens of countries, many studies have documented negative effects on local wildlife,

    A happy, healthy season to you and yours, Frank

  12. This member thanks findiviglio for this post:


  13. #11
    Moderator Mentat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA USA
    Posts
    5,939
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

    Default Re: The 5 Worst Reptiles & Amphibians to Choose as Holiday Gifts

    Quote Originally Posted by findiviglio View Post
    Hi Carlos, Yes...see nore re red eared slider intros - they are in dozens of countries, many studies have documented negative effects on local wildlife, A happy, healthy season to you and yours, Frank
    Thank you Frank! Season greetings to you and the family !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

  14. #12
    Moderator deranged chipmunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    Phila., PA
    Posts
    6,840
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

    Default Re: The 5 Worst Reptiles & Amphibians to Choose as Holiday Gifts

    as usual Frank, yet another excellent read. curious though, where would you rate Red Eyed Tree frogs? we see problems with them on the forum quite often due to their being such an impulse buy, their delicate nature and strict husbandry requirements. adding to that, the problem of so many retail outlets selling wild caught frogs.

    and a second question. if you could pick a top 10 of worst, what would your second five be?
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

  15. #13
    100+ Post Member irThumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Posts
    1,469
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

    Default Re: The 5 Worst Reptiles & Amphibians to Choose as Holiday Gifts

    I'm in the personal opinion that NO live animal should be purchased for a holiday gift, especially for children, and particularly as an impulse buy. If your child wishes to have a herp (or any pet) and you want to do something special for Christmas then start with books on the care of the particular pet-- if a child is too young too read and understand about the care of an animal then I believe they are too young to personally have a pet (jmho) unless the parent is able and willing to take full responsibility for the pet and it's care, physically and financially. From books you can can graduate from supplies to an enclosure or habitat, and eventually when everything is ready and in place, and you are SURE you and your child are ready for a new pet, THEN and only then, should a pet be purchased or adopted. Also, you need to be prepared for if you become unable to take proper care of your pet for whatever reason or circumstance. In that case please take the time and consideration to do everything within your power to place it into a good responsible home or rescue. Don't wait thinking things might get better or change: Sometimes a forever home unfortunately cannot be a forever home; you need to do what it takes to insure your animal continues to have a good life, regardless of the pain of having to give it up. Also, do not be afraid to ask others for help if you need it... someone somewhere will be there to assist so never give up.
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert


  16. This member thanks irThumper for this post:


  17. #14
    100+ Post Member Strider18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Posts
    790

    Default Re: The 5 Worst Reptiles & Amphibians to Choose as Holiday Gifts

    On some of these points I have to disagree, but I agree with most. I would purchase a herp for someone as a Christmas present, IF and only if, they have A. Done plenty of research or they have had the herp before and B. I feel that they are ready for the responsibility. But other wise great info ir!

    0.0.1 PCf
    Soon to come 0.0.4 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.1.0 Pseudacris regilla (r.i.p. Green Beauty)
    0.0.1 Bufo boreas boreas? (r.i.p. )
    0.0.4 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Powder Blue'

  18. This member thanks Strider18 for this post:


  19. #15
    findiviglio
    Guest

    Default Re: The 5 Worst Reptiles & Amphibians to Choose as Holiday Gifts

    Quote Originally Posted by deranged chipmunk View Post
    as usual Frank, yet another excellent read. curious though, where would you rate Red Eyed Tree frogs? we see problems with them on the forum quite often due to their being such an impulse buy, their delicate nature and strict husbandry requirements. adding to that, the problem of so many retail outlets selling wild caught frogs.

    and a second question. if you could pick a top 10 of worst, what would your second five be?
    Hi Bill,

    Red-eyes could have been included in the list, I agree. As for others, innumerable choices, but some, such as green anoles, stand out as they are not easy yet touted as beginner's pets, and cheap. Most tortoises, hatchling monitors of med-large species, incl Savannas, tegus, alligator snappers, young crocodilians of any kind of course, temperate zone salamanders (not common but tigers sometimes offered)...A happy, healthy season to you and yours, Frank

  20. #16
    findiviglio
    Guest

    Default Re: The 5 Worst Reptiles & Amphibians to Choose as Holiday Gifts

    Quote Originally Posted by irThumper View Post
    I'm in the personal opinion that NO live animal should be purchased for a holiday gift, especially for children, and particularly as an impulse buy. If your child wishes to have a herp (or any pet) and you want to do something special for Christmas then start with books on the care of the particular pet-- if a child is too young too read and understand about the care of an animal then I believe they are too young to personally have a pet (jmho) unless the parent is able and willing to take full responsibility for the pet and it's care, physically and financially. From books you can can graduate from supplies to an enclosure or habitat, and eventually when everything is ready and in place, and you are SURE you and your child are ready for a new pet, THEN and only then, should a pet be purchased or adopted. Also, you need to be prepared for if you become unable to take proper care of your pet for whatever reason or circumstance. In that case please take the time and consideration to do everything within your power to place it into a good responsible home or rescue. Don't wait thinking things might get better or change: Sometimes a forever home unfortunately cannot be a forever home; you need to do what it takes to insure your animal continues to have a good life, regardless of the pain of having to give it up. Also, do not be afraid to ask others for help if you need it... someone somewhere will be there to assist so never give up.
    Hi,

    So many variables , of course...I've given and received live gifts that were perfectly-appropriate, but as you say impulse buying is always to be avoided. Best, Frank

  21. This member thanks findiviglio for this post:


  22. #17
    Super Moderator Heatheranne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    Erie, Pa
    Posts
    8,236
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

    Default The 5 Worst Reptiles & Amphibians to Choose as Holiday Gifts

    Great reading as always .
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

  23. #18
    Super Moderator Heatheranne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    Erie, Pa
    Posts
    8,236
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

    Default The 5 Worst Reptiles & Amphibians to Choose as Holiday Gifts

    It's better to buy a pet store gift card .
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

  24. #19
    Moderator LilyPad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,445
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

    Default Re: The 5 Worst Reptiles & Amphibians to Choose as Holiday Gifts

    Quote Originally Posted by Heatheranne View Post
    It's better to buy a pet store gift card .
    I asked for that last year...no one got me one... LOL
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

    0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"



  25. #20
    findiviglio
    Guest

    Default Re: The 5 Worst Reptiles & Amphibians to Choose as Holiday Gifts

    Quote Originally Posted by Heatheranne View Post
    Great reading as always .
    Thank you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. mood music for reptiles and amphibians
    By ColleenT in forum General Discussion & News
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: August 19th, 2014, 08:45 PM
  2. Where to buy reptiles/amphibians
    By preyas1207 in forum Off-Topic
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: March 7th, 2014, 05:40 PM
  3. My amphibians and reptiles!! MUST SEE!!
    By Murray of the Deep in forum Other Amphibians
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: February 6th, 2013, 04:30 PM
  4. Furry Friends/amphibians/reptiles
    By Sasha in forum Other Pets
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: September 10th, 2012, 09:01 PM
  5. Tennessee Laws On Reptiles and Amphibians
    By Dendrolurve in forum Beginner Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: September 23rd, 2011, 07:14 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •