Thread: Western green toad won't eat HELP

Jason Jacko Wright

Default Western green toad won't eat HELP

Have a western green from a pet store since august , always been hard to feed , you can put food in front of him and he will go for it a couple of time and can't seem to get it then gets fed up and jumps away, then gets stressed and won't go near any worms we drop for him, put cricket in with him 3 weeks later still uneaten , calci worms in a dish stay there uneaten , really worrying now.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Western green toad won't eat HELP

Hello and welcome to FF! Very sorry your toad is not doing well. Just to make sure we are talking about the same animal; is it Anaxyrus debilis? If so; here is a care article for it Frog Forum - Toad Basics - Keeping ground-dwelling Toads. A care sheet for Bufo, Anaxyrus, Spea, Scaphiopus, Ollotis, Alytes, Pelobates . Please answer the below questions to see if we can figure out what is the issue.

“Trouble in the Frog Enclosure”

The following information will be very helpful if provided when requesting assistance with either your frog or enclosure. To help with your questions, please utilize the below list and post the information in the proper forum area to get advice from FF members that keep the same frog. This will allow for little confusion and a faster more informed response.

1. Size of enclosure

2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences

3. Humidity

4. Temperature

5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish

6. Materials used for substrate

7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials.
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.

8. Main food source

9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often)

10. Lighting

11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure

12. When is the last time he/she ate

13. Have you found poop lately

14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)

15. Describe frog's symptoms and/or recent physical changes; to include it's ventral/belly area.

16. How old is the frog

17. How long have you owned him/her

18. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred

19. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats

20. How often the frog is handled

21. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area

22. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc)

by Lynn(Flybyferns) and GrifTheGreat.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

dj1

I found the same sort of thing with my A. debilis, but found plenty of cover I use old tree roots, and a small 15 watt spot light, then fed small food such as fruit flies and small crickets wood lice etc all chilled in the fridge first so they slowly come around in the viv and allow the toads time to get there eye in, now they feed as soon as the crickets or whatever hits the floor.
    They have a sand substrate and a heat stone in one corner, 5 watt only and they dig short tunnels in the sand and sit just out of sight until the lid opens and the food hits the floor, then they pop out to eat. also they do eat a lot of food for their size, but not worms, and nothing to large 1cm seam to be the max they will tackle.

Jason Jacko Wright

hi thanks for replying he is a western green toad

1. the terranium is Length 50cm x 30cm high x 20cm wide

2. there is only him in there

3. humidity says 70% but a digital 1 said 90% at one point

4. 60f degrees temp

5 de chlorinated water with the stuff the pet shop gave me to treat water or bottled mineral water

6 eco earth brick substrate

7. some moss from petshop that can be washed and re used a porcelain hide , an artificial vine , no bark or wood

8.calci worms small ones, ( he ate 3 small crickets today i bought nutrobal and dusted with them and held them on big tongs in front of him, after the 3rd he saw my hand then wouldn't take any more the only time in past to get t#him to eat was in afternoon if he has been under hide and you catch him off guard and relaxed, you need to drop food right in front of him he wont chase it and if it moved off he wont go for it, they literally have to be in front of his face)

9. until the crickets yesterday we have not gave any calcium or vitamins

10. no lighting- justy bought a EXO TERRA 45CM COMPACT DOUBLE VIVARIUM TERRARIUM CANOPY but unsure what lights to put in there.

11. was being kept at room temp, yesterday stuch a heat mat to the back of the glass

12. yester day 3 crickets - but prior to that 1 very small calci worm every couple of days if we where lucky

13. never found poop

14. will try and upload a pic after from phone

15. no noticeable change seems to scratch at times

16. we had nearly 6 months he wasnt very old when bought exact age unknown

17. 6 months owned

18. i was told he was captive bred by the pet store but local reptile store said they believed most in the UK are wild caught i can only go on what the store said and he was bred

19. he ate 1 cricket when first got him then couldn't get him to eat, had few wax worms but for last couple months just calci worms until yesterday with small brown crickets

20. dont really handle him goes mad if try touch him jumps away like crazy , will jump in to glass , only put hand in there to prevent him from jumping under hide when trying to feed and d#irecting him towards his food.

21. low traffic area

22. water changed daily cleaned fully and bnew soil at 3 months due again this weekend - also bought bark to put on top of soil and drainage stone to layer on bottom this time, pet shop surgested soil holing damp as nop stone on bottom and with no bark cant bury himself.

Jason Jacko Wright

Name:  photo 4.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  95.7 KB

Jason Jacko Wright

Name:  photo 1.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  77.9 KB

Jason Jacko Wright

Name:  photo 2.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  88.5 KBName:  photo 2.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  88.5 KB

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

60F is low for most frogs. I'm not familiar with the species, but I imagine it would slow his metabolism down a lot so he'd be sluggish and want to eat less.

Jason Jacko Wright

Any advice on temp , humidity and lighting ?
    Also are they nocturnal , he seems to be more active in the afternoon
    can I put a canopy on top of his tank with lights in ?

Thread Information